Roger Clemens
Ken Griffey, Jr.
Barry Bonds
Randy Johnson
Ivan Rodriquez
Greg Maddux
John Smoltz

Locks = 1st ballot guys

I think guys like Thomas, Thome, Galvine, & Manny would get in but not on the 1st ballot. There are others that I think will become locks if they play more seasons at similar or better productions (ex. Arod, Pujols, Tejada, Jeter, etc.). Right now this is the list and no other player, if their careers ended right now, would be 1st ballot Hall of Fame Locks. Argue all you want but this is pretty close to fact.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 143)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:40 pm

Where's Piazza, Rivera and Pedro....?
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby bellings » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:43 pm

Havok1517 wrote:Only active HOF Locks

Roger Clemens
Ken Griffey, Jr.
Barry Bonds
Randy Johnson
Ivan Rodriquez
Greg Maddux
John Smoltz

Locks = 1st ballot guys

I think guys like Thomas, Thome, Galvine, & Manny would get in but not on the 1st ballot. There are others that I think will become locks if they play more seasons at similar or better productions (ex. Arod, Pujols, Tejada, Jeter, etc.). Right now this is the list and no other player, if their careers ended right now, would be 1st ballot Hall of Fame Locks. Argue all you want but this is pretty close to fact.

I like your list, but I would add A-Rod and Pedro. If either of these guys got hit by a breadtruck today, they would still be locks for the hall. The years that they have put in have been dominating.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Rivera too. He gets in on his post-season stats alone.
bellings
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Thursday » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:50 pm

Roger Clemens
Ken Griffey, Jr.
Barry Bonds
Randy Johnson
Ivan Rodriquez
Greg Maddux
John Smoltz

Locks = 1st ballot guys

Thank you for bringing some sanity to this thread. My personal belief is that the Hall of Fame is becoming increasingly easy to get into. I only want to see the best of the best of the best in there.
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Tavish » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:53 pm

blankman wrote:As DK said, with a SS, you compare him to his contemporaries, not the league. Jeter should rank behind only A-Rod, a HOF lock, of the era's shortstops. Claiming the injury-riddled Nomar and Larkin ahead of him makes no sense.

Page 2 and 3 of this thread has my feelings on Jeter vs Larkin. Assuming Jeter can play at a high level for a few more seasons he should be a lock.

The link AA posted with the older debate on this subject is the same way I feel now. Bonds, ARod, and the Big 4 pitchers should be locks. Everyone else is going to fight for votes and the timing of their retirement vs the other stars of the generation will determine whether they are 1st/2nd/3rd/etc ballot guys or not up to par.

With the media suddenly taking the moral high ground against the players its really hard to claim any of the players will be a lock except those who have had basically zero allegations levied against them. Until McGwire is eligible its really hard to predict how they are going to treat the elite hitters of the generation. Bonds, Sosa, Palmeiro, Helton, Clemens, Sheffield, Pudge2, Belle, etc may all become casualties of the witch hunt.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:59 pm

blankman wrote:Where's Piazza, Rivera and Pedro....?

bellings wrote:

Roger Clemens
Ken Griffey, Jr.
Barry Bonds
Randy Johnson
Ivan Rodriquez
Greg Maddux
John Smoltz

Locks = 1st ballot guys

I like your list, but I would add A-Rod and Pedro. If either of these guys got hit by a breadtruck today, they would still be locks for the hall. The years that they have put in have been dominating.

I'm not at all saying that guys like Rivera, Arod, & Pedro (almost a current 1st ballot guy) won't get in the Hall of Fame at all. I'm just saying that if their careers ended this second they wouldn't be 1st ballot guys. That could of course change in a few years if their production continues but if their great career ended right now they'd be along the same lines as Thome & Thomas. Not 1st ballot guys but will get in eventually and very deservedly so.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby blankman » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:05 pm

Havok1517 wrote:

bellings wrote:

Roger Clemens
Ken Griffey, Jr.
Barry Bonds
Randy Johnson
Ivan Rodriquez
Greg Maddux
John Smoltz

Locks = 1st ballot guys

I'm not at all saying that guys like Rivera, Arod, & Pedro (almost a current 1st ballot guy) won't get in the Hall of Fame at all. I'm just saying that if their careers ended this second they wouldn't be 1st ballot guys. That could of course change in a few years if their production continues but if their great career ended right now they'd be along the same lines as Thome & Thomas. Not 1st ballot guys but will get in eventually and very deservedly so.

I understand what you mean, but I don't see how you can say Piazza or Rivera wouldn't get in 1st ballot if they retired today.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby liv4socr20 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:07 pm

I dont understand how Manny is not a lock his last 8 seasons he is an automatic 30-100-.300(once hit .292 so who knows that may keep him out of the hall) Hes failed to break the .300 only twice in his career during his full seasons has a career average of around .310. He will definently hit the 500 HR mark unless someone kills him by next september. He is year after year top 3 most feared hitters in baseball. A career slugging percentage of .600 aint to shabby and neither is a +1.000 OPS. AND HONESTLY HOW CAN YOU OVERLOOK THE 34 STEALS. But seriously I'm a Yankee fan and if this guy is not a first-balloter then I dont know who is
Only 2 things are certain in life...... death and Albert Pujols
liv4socr20
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:13 pm

blankman wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:

bellings wrote:

Roger Clemens
Ken Griffey, Jr.
Barry Bonds
Randy Johnson
Ivan Rodriquez
Greg Maddux
John Smoltz

Locks = 1st ballot guys

I understand what you mean, but I don't see how you can say Piazza or Rivera wouldn't get in 1st ballot if they retired today.

I'm not at all disregarding Rivera's dominance at all. But even though he's been arguably the greatest closer in baseball history there are many writers (voters) that view closers with much less regard than they would a starter or a guys like Eck & Smoltz and rightly so in my opinion.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby noseeum » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:16 pm

Thursday wrote:

Roger Clemens
Ken Griffey, Jr.
Barry Bonds
Randy Johnson
Ivan Rodriquez
Greg Maddux
John Smoltz

Locks = 1st ballot guys

Thank you for bringing some sanity to this thread. My personal belief is that the Hall of Fame is becoming increasingly easy to get into. I only want to see the best of the best of the best in there.

Smoltz is certainly not a lock. Glavine is above him, and even he's not a lock until he gets 300, which he will.

Pedro, once again, could die today, and he'd be in. First ballot.

Piazza too. Best catcher in baseball history by a wide stretch. He's in. First ballot. Pudge can wait a year, thank you.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers