HoF Debate: Jim Edmonds - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

HoF Debate: Jim Edmonds

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Mattingly

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:04 pm

ukrneal wrote:Pretty interesting discussion, as he has been more successful than I realized, but he isn't quite there yet. Of course, he's still got time.

I was also ready to say "no way" when I first saw the thread title but then I thought about it. He's closer than most would think but I don't think that he's there yet.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rijo27fan » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:08 pm

No Chance at the HOF.

Jones is by far a better center fielder than Edmonds.

Jim Edmonds makes the easy catches look tough and Andruw Jones makes the tough catches look easy.
Rijo27fan
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby swingline » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:08 pm

What we know now:
1) He has been a flashy, if not great, centerfielder throughout his entire career. Has won a ton of gold gloves. No doubt he was a plus defensively at least.

2) Add to that he has probably been the best offensive CF for a little more than half a decade (maybe more, this season isn't over and he's so streaky).

If he gets over 2,000 hits and 425 home runs it's going to be tough to keep him out. Neither are out of the realm of possibility, but they'd take some pretty good years in the face of aging.

He's definitely not in right now. But It's not as easy of a no as some of you would like to think if he has a 2-3 more great years or 3-5 more good years.
swingline
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby BritSox » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:14 pm

swingline wrote:What we know now:
1) He has been a flashy, if not great, centerfielder throughout his entire career. Has won a ton of gold gloves. No doubt he was a plus defensively at least.

2) Add to that he has probably been the best offensive CF for a little more than half a decade (maybe more, this season isn't over and he's so streaky).

If he gets over 2,000 hits and 425 home runs it's going to be tough to keep him out. Neither are out of the realm of possibility, but they'd take some pretty good years in the face of aging.

He's definitely not in right now. But It's not as easy of a no as some of you would like to think if he has a 2-3 more great years or 3-5 more good years.

I'd agree with this. He's a good player but not a HoFer in all likelihood, though if he can play a couple more years without declining very much at all, he has a shot.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby ukrneal » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:15 pm

Rijo27fan wrote:No Chance at the HOF.

Jim Edmonds makes the easy catches look tough and Andruw Jones makes the tough catches look easy.

Over his career, his range has been about 25% above average, but that has come down to 15% and 10% above average the past two years. So while better by the stats, he isn't so hugely better as I was expecting in recent years.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Tavish » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:19 pm

I'm surprised by all the comparisions to Andruw Jones. The guy that usually comes up in Edmonds debates is Bernie Williams.

The biggest problem I have with Edmonds is that people often throw a tantrum about Kirby Puckett being elected with the short career he had. Edmonds is still about 100 games behind Kirby for his career. He has been great the last few years, but not nearly long enough for me to consider him an outright HoFer. Regardless of playing CF, he is going to be thought of in the same terms as the other offensive players of the generation just like Griffey will be.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 70)

Postby JRRNeiklot » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:11 pm

mak1277 wrote:
JRRNeiklot wrote: Edmonds and Mays shouldn't either. Willie wouldn't even be talked about for making catches Edmods makes because he'd just camp out under them and make them look routine.

I'd much rather have a guy who could "camp out under them" than a guy making diving catches.

Didn't I just say that?
JRRNeiklot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 37)

Postby JRRNeiklot » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:12 pm

Rijo27fan wrote:No Chance at the HOF.

Jones is a hack. My dog makes better catches.
JRRNeiklot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 37)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:18 am

Tavish wrote:I'm surprised by all the comparisions to Andruw Jones. The guy that usually comes up in Edmonds debates is Bernie Williams.
Bernie is an interesting comparision too. Edmonds seems to have had a higher peak, hit for more power and played better defense while Bernie has had a longer career up to this point.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 455)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers