HoF Debate: Jim Edmonds - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

HoF Debate: Jim Edmonds

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DK » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:18 pm

ttwarrior1 wrote:yes edmonds will make it because this isnt his last year and his longetivity will end up in the long run putting him over the top. I got to st louis games and he is just awesome. In my opinion the best defensive outfiedler in the history of baseball as well.

I've stayed out of the Edmonds argument because I haven't formed an opinion yet but if you think Edmonds is the best defensive CF ever you are smoking some funny cigarettes.

Willie Mays, much?
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ttwarrior1 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:22 pm

that willy mays catch wasnt that great, he didnt even dive. Ive seen edmonds do that supposed great catch and dive . Plus like i said many of the veterans of now will make it because of the not many young players of now will even play 15 years
ttwarrior1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby noseeum » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:25 pm

amazing center fielder, yes, but it's pretty much beyond debate the Andruw Jones is better than him. It's almost beyond debate that Jones is the greatest defensive center fielder ever.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Smee » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:28 pm

ttwarrior1 wrote:that willy mays catch wasnt that great, he didnt even dive. Ive seen edmonds do that supposed great catch and dive . Plus like i said many of the veterans of now will make it because of the not many young players of now will even play 15 years

I think we're talking about careers here, not their best highlight reel catch.

I'm afraid Edmonds isn't even the best defensive CF in the game now, I think that honor goes to Torii Hunter.
Go 'Topes!
Smee
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DK » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:31 pm

ttwarrior1 wrote:that willy mays catch wasnt that great, he didnt even dive. Ive seen edmonds do that supposed great catch and dive . Plus like i said many of the veterans of now will make it because of the not many young players of now will even play 15 years

Who's talking about one catch? I'm talking career-wise. Career Mays made 2.57 plays per game in the outfield in an era where the average outfielder made 1.91, including 195 outfield assists and 60 double plays. Edmonds made 2.50 plays per game in an era where the average center fielder made 2.24, including 110 outfield assists and 26 double plays. Mays owns Edmonds in the field. Jones is also a better fielder than Edmonds is.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Tavish » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:51 pm

noseeum wrote:amazing center fielder, yes, but it's pretty much beyond debate the Andruw Jones is better than him. It's almost beyond debate that Jones is the greatest defensive center fielder ever.

He probably wouldn't even make my Top 5 All-Time. He is better than Edmonds and in the same range as Hunter and Cameron.
Last edited by Tavish on Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:55 pm

Tavish wrote:
noseeum wrote:amazing center fielder, yes, but it's pretty much beyond debate the Andruw Jones is better than him. It's almost beyond debate that Jones is the greatest defensive center fielder ever.

He probably wouldn't even make my Top 5 All-Time. He is than Edmonds and in the same range as Hunter and Cameron.

I'm also wondering how it is almost beyond debate that Andruw is better when Edmonds has the better OBP, SLG% and OPS+.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 380)

Postby mak1277 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:57 pm

ttwarrior1 wrote:that willy mays catch wasnt that great, he didnt even dive.

O:-)

I can't even begin to compose a coherent response because I just threw up in my mouth.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby mak1277 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:58 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Tavish wrote:

He probably wouldn't even make my Top 5 All-Time. He is than Edmonds and in the same range as Hunter and Cameron.

I'm also wondering how it is almost beyond debate that Andruw is better when Edmonds has the better OBP, SLG% and OPS+.

I think we're talking defensively only here....although I'm not even sure...this thread is constantly bouncing between "better defensively" and "better period".
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:14 pm

It is funny how Edmonds fielding gets overrated and his hitting gets underrated.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 380)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers