HoF Debate: Jim Edmonds - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

HoF Debate: Jim Edmonds

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:24 am

I don't think so. He's been good, but he's never been great. Even defensively, I can think of a handful of CFs whose careers intersected with Edmonds that I would have rather had out there. Does he make highlight-reel catches? Sure. But that doesn't get him into the hall.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WhiteHot » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:43 am

Big Pimpin wrote:Does he make highlight-reel catches? Sure. But that doesn't get him into the hall.

He makes highlight-reel catches because he's out of position a lot. He's a hot dog and makes catches look tougher than they should be.
WhiteHot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:55 am

WhiteHot wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:Does he make highlight-reel catches? Sure. But that doesn't get him into the hall.

He makes highlight-reel catches because he's out of position a lot. He's a hot dog and makes catches look tougher than they should be.

I completely agree. ;-D ;-D
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:00 pm

d18Mike wrote:
Strip away the Sportscenter highlight reels and there are a lot of players who have remarkably similar if not superior stats who will likely never be in a HoF Debate thread.

but are those players center fielders? to me, it boils down to defense/differentiating between center and corner outfielders. there are better outfielder bats than edmonds, but not many better center field bats. if you think there is a significant difference between CF and LF, then edmonds has a chance. if you just want to focus on offensive stats then he has no chance.

i dont think he will make it in. his career seems to be on the down swing. if he had another 2-3 peak years he would be in. if he spent the bulk of his career in boston or NY he would likely have more support.
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:01 pm

WhiteHot wrote:

out of position or just playing shallower than the usual CF because he goes back well. it certainly looks like he hot dogs, but i dont know that i would say he plays out of position.
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Smee » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:02 pm

Lets see if we can name five better CF from the era, admittedly I'm no baseball historian but I'll start it off:

1. Kirby Puckett
2. Griffey
Go 'Topes!
Smee
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:04 pm

Smee wrote:Lets see if we can name five better CF from the era, admittedly I'm no baseball historian but I'll start it off:

1. Kirby Puckett

I'd take Andruw, Torii, Griffey, and Cameron over Edmonds as well.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Smee » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:06 pm

I don't think that Torii Hunter will ever have the bat to get him into the HOF, and I don't think Jones is a complete enough hitter. He's never had a season with an OPS over 1.000, though that may change if he continues his power surge.
Go 'Topes!
Smee
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mak1277 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:06 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:
d18Mike wrote:
Strip away the Sportscenter highlight reels and there are a lot of players who have remarkably similar if not superior stats who will likely never be in a HoF Debate thread.

but are those players center fielders? to me, it boils down to defense/differentiating between center and corner outfielders. there are better outfielder bats than edmonds, but not many better center field bats. if you think there is a significant difference between CF and LF, then edmonds has a chance. if you just want to focus on offensive stats then he has no chance.

I don't disagree in principle, but the flip side to this arguement is the reduced weight of his gold gloves (potentially). In each of the 6 years that Edmonds won his NL gold gloves, Andruw Jones also won a GG. Now, I personally believe that the GG's in the outfield should be handed out by position (LF, CF, RF). If we are distinguishing by position, you must ask yourself if Edmonds would have 6 GG's in the NL if there were only one each year given to a CF? I'm not purporting to know the answer, but the question is valid if you are going to place a big differentiation between CF and corner OF's.

I'm also not saying that GG's should be a relevant measure in the first place, but we all know that quantifiable awards do play a role.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:20 pm

Smee wrote:I don't think that Torii Hunter will ever have the bat to get him into the HOF, and I don't think Jones is a complete enough hitter. He's never had a season with an OPS over 1.000, though that may change if he continues his power surge.

I was talking about defense only. Sorry... :*)
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers