More Valuable? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

More Valuable?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

More Valuable?

Postby Belle4Hall88 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:05 am

I keep getting made fun of by my family for a trade I made about 6 weeks ago. I traded player A for player B. Player A plays at a posistion very deep(1B) and a posistion I already have Adam Dunn(have him in the OF) Travis Hafner & Frank Thomas(Thomas and Hafner don't have 1B elgibitly so I split them between DH.) Now, I had already been talking to an owner in the league who wanted to deal me his Giambi for my Escobar. I was going to jump at it until I realized I would have Giambi rotting on my bench. So then I get another offer from a different manager offering me player "B." Player B is a second basemen, where the talent pool is very thin. I had Marcus Giles at the time stinking up my roster. So I went ahead and accepted both deals. I keep getting made fun of however for one(my Ortiz for his Utley.)

Stats the players are on pace for:
Player A .278/122/58/164/0
Player B .312/132/30/99/17

I accually am sold on player B being more valuable to me, as I am stocked with 1B options and Utley is defiently the best 2B in the league. Does anyone agree?
Belle4Hall88 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bellings » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:15 am

Ortiz for Utley isn't a bad deal. Many people consider Utley a 1st rounder, so you're trading 2 first rounders based on need. Ortiz is worth more than Utley, but not much more than Utley.

I would have tried to get a throw in player, but you've gotta do what you've gotta do.
bellings
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sportsguy138 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:45 am

simply... you could have gotten more out of this one :-t
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 406)

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:46 am

simply put, this is disguised as trade opinion question and is in the wrong forum...

hammy...do your thing

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Belle4Hall88 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:37 am

bellings wrote:Ortiz for Utley isn't a bad deal. Many people consider Utley a 1st rounder, so you're trading 2 first rounders based on need. Ortiz is worth more than Utley, but not much more than Utley.

I would have tried to get a throw in player, but you've gotta do what you've gotta do.

thanks man i appriate your opinion
Belle4Hall88 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pangbones » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:34 am

Otriz is worth more than Utley, but that doesn't mean it was a bad trade for you. Sometimes you have to overpay to get a necessary deal done. You probably should have tried to get someone else, but if it makes your team better, then you did ok. Hopefully the other guy isn't ahead of you.
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby yossarian » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:09 pm

of course, you could have taken the Giambi for Escobar, and then turned around and moved Giambi for a good 2B. Then you would have had a good 2B AND Ortiz still.
yossarian
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ThisOneGuy » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:23 pm

yossarian wrote:of course, you could have taken the Giambi for Escobar, and then turned around and moved Giambi for a good 2B. Then you would have had a good 2B AND Ortiz still.

Easier said than done. It sounds like a good plan, in theory, but unfortunately, you have to rely on another person to agree to the trade of Giambi for *insert good 2B*. It would be quite the bummer to have Papi at 1B, Hafner at DH, and then being stuck with Giambi on the bench, although, frankly, I'd trade Escobar for Giambi even if I had 15 1Bs.

I don't think it was too bad of a trade. Ortiz is the better fantasy player, and 2B is fairly deep this year, but Utley is one of the best 2Bs, and 10x better than Giles this year. Sometimes you gotta do whatcha gotta do to get the player you want.
ThisOneGuy
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers