Should I Sell Liriano High or keep him? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Should I Sell Liriano High or keep him?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:32 pm

JustAnotherYanksFan wrote:
teddyballgamemvp wrote:If you're in a keeper, any Liriano owner should try to spin him for two excellent pitchers while you can.

I agree with this. Look at how much hype Felix had last year. If I were in a one-year league, I might have faith in Liriano to finish the season strong, but in the future, as teams see him more times he'll go through his rough patches. So if I were in a keeper and someone were willing to give me first or second round talent then I'd take it.

It's all a question of what someone is willing to give you and your league structure (contracts, number of keepers, etc). If you can get first or second round talent for Liriano though then all things being equal I think you take it. That doesn't mean you panic and sell off Liriano for the first deal that comes along. But if you can get outstanding players for Liriano that meet your needs then depending on the format you'd probably end up taking the deal.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pappymojo » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:55 pm

Me, I would continue to hold onto Felix in a keeper league.
pappymojo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:15 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:
JustAnotherYanksFan wrote:
teddyballgamemvp wrote:If you're in a keeper, any Liriano owner should try to spin him for two excellent pitchers while you can.

I agree with this. Look at how much hype Felix had last year. If I were in a one-year league, I might have faith in Liriano to finish the season strong, but in the future, as teams see him more times he'll go through his rough patches. So if I were in a keeper and someone were willing to give me first or second round talent then I'd take it.

It's all a question of what someone is willing to give you and your league structure (contracts, number of keepers, etc). If you can get first or second round talent for Liriano though then all things being equal I think you take it. That doesn't mean you panic and sell off Liriano for the first deal that comes along. But if you can get outstanding players for Liriano that meet your needs then depending on the format you'd probably end up taking the deal.

Definitely a good point. If the rules are structured in such a way that it's not as costly to keep Liriano as some of the more proven players you might trade him for, then it could be best to hold onto him.

pappymojo wrote:Me, I would continue to hold onto Felix in a keeper league.

I think the reasoning that LL used with regards to Liriano also applies here. If you're in a 14-team league and you're keeping 12 guys from year to year, or if all you lose for keeping Felix is your 25th round pick that you used on him last year, then obviously you'd want to hold onto him. But if you're in a league where you simply keep your best 5 or 6 players, then Felix isn't quite as attractive a keeper. So it depends on the format.
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby teddyballgamemvp » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:43 pm

jswede wrote:
Big Game JLo wrote:

This right here is probably the worst advice anyone could possibly ever give. A keeper league gives you even more reason to keep him.

:-t teddyballgamemvp

I'll second Teddy. THAT is some BAD advice. Get rid of a 22yr old in a keeper who has 4 pitches which he can use at different speeds PLUS a devastating change-up only bested by Santana??

In a keeper, Liriano may be my first pick.

He is at the height of his value, and he has a history of being fragile. If you can get 2 guys from like Kaz/Verlander/Bonderman, etc. I think you do that deal.

EDIT: And, I was also speaking from my keeper league experience, where we can keep any 40 players from year to year and have max IP limits.
teddyballgamemvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kndrix » Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:30 am

No one is perfect.
I love to snatch a kiss and vice versa.
kndrix
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Secret Avatar » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:56 pm

Definately do NOT "sell high" on Liriano. He's the real deal. In a keeper, I would definately hold on to him.

With a little more seasoning, his potential is as high -- if not higher -- than Johan. His change is not as polished as Johan's and he lacks Johan's pinpoint control (at least as of now), but he throws harder (high-90s rather than mid-90s) and has a virtually unhittable slider. He's also 5 years younger than Johan and further developed at this point in his career than Johan was.

He's young so you can expect some bumps in the road but his stuff is NASTY and he has much better control than is usual for a rookie.

4ER is not that bad an outing anyway, and he still got his Ks. Also, for what its worth, I saw the game and the ump was calling the smallest K zone I've seen. He wasn't giving the corners at all so Liriano was forced to throw more pitches over the plate.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Guzman24 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:43 pm

I was listening to an interview on Jim Rome the other day with Joe Mauer and Rome asked him to compare Liriano's stuff to Johan's.

Mauer said that Liriano actually has filthier stuff. Johan is just a little more polished. Give Liriano another year of experience and i can see him possibly over taking Johan as the best pitcher in baseball.

This is good info coming from a guy that catches them on a daily basis. I can't see hitters catching on to Liriano over time as they sure as hell havent caught on to Johan.

I'd hang on to him unless you have a top 5 player to consider in return. IE Pujols, Wright, Ortiz, Arod
Guzman24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates