Should I Sell Liriano High or keep him? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Should I Sell Liriano High or keep him?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby converge241 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:38 pm

i just traded him after his last start for adam dunn (BB, OBP, and OPS are all categories)

if you can gte good value for him why not move him - REGARDLESS of tonight
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby uclanima » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:37 am

converge241 wrote:i just traded him after his last start for adam dunn (BB, OBP, and OPS are all categories)

if you can gte good value for him why not move him - REGARDLESS of tonight

let me guess. the commish in that league is in first place cause he created stupid settings and is taking full advantage of them.
uclanima
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby noles1 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:38 am

He was bound to have a bad night. I would hold onto him. He is a stud and you would regret letting him go.

This from CBS Sporstline, maybe it will help you feel better about tonights performance.

"Liriano, a late addition to the AL squad who made a long, tiring trip from the Dominican Republic to Pittsburgh for Tuesday's All-Star Game, had by far his worst start of the season."
noles1 Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby cubs2238 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:31 am

A bad outing!?!?

Liriano gave up more than three runs for the first time since returning to a SP and some of you are saying the kids having a bad outing. I would take this bad outing any day of the week especially when you consider:

A. His traveling schedule as a last minute addition to the All-Star team after being in another country because he thought he was going to get some time off.

B. He's playing the Cleveland Indians who have a very very good offense.

C. He is still a young pitcher but is just technically a rookie. He has had more experience in the majors already than guys like Hamels, Lester, Billingsly, etc. He was starting games at the end of last season, had a long run in the bullpen, and was worked back into the starting role the way he should have been.

Even after last night's game he is still the best pitcher in my Yahoo format for the month and is only second to Johan for the season for strictly SP (Paps is #1 in our league b/c he still has SP placement as well as RP placement).

I understand the theory of selling high and going out and looking for a big bat but you'd better get a lot more than what you are getting in th is deal. I'm not saying that you said he had a bad outing but I really wish I was in a money league with the people that do think that way, I would be plundering and pilledging your teams on a weekly basis.

Compare Johan's numbers either of the first two seasons he started more than 10 games, to that of what Liriano is doing this year. Francisco is on pace to have more wins, more strikeouts, and a better ERA and WHIP than Johan did when he had his breakout year. I know that no one is untradeable but looking at it from this perspective, I'd have to be getting a hell of a lot.
cubs2238
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Big Game JLo » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:56 pm

teddyballgamemvp wrote:If you're in a keeper, any Liriano owner should try to spin him for two excellent pitchers while you can.

This right here is probably the worst advice anyone could possibly ever give. A keeper league gives you even more reason to keep him.

:-t teddyballgamemvp
Big Game JLo
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby cakewalk5 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:56 pm

I would think about trading later in the season just because of the length of the season and it might take a toll on him towards the end. But you'd have to get alot.

And looking at your lineup, you don't need anything.

4ER is not the end of the world. In fact, it's pretty ordinary. A starting pitcher can't be sub 2.00 for the entire season.
cakewalk5
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jswede » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:04 pm

Big Game JLo wrote:
teddyballgamemvp wrote:If you're in a keeper, any Liriano owner should try to spin him for two excellent pitchers while you can.

This right here is probably the worst advice anyone could possibly ever give. A keeper league gives you even more reason to keep him.

:-t teddyballgamemvp

I'll second Teddy. THAT is some BAD advice. Get rid of a 22yr old in a keeper who has 4 pitches which he can use at different speeds PLUS a devastating change-up only bested by Santana??

In a keeper, Liriano may be my first pick.
jswede
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:11 pm

I agree with this. Look at how much hype Felix had last year. If I were in a one-year league, I might have faith in Liriano to finish the season strong, but in the future, as teams see him more times he'll go through his rough patches. So if I were in a keeper and someone were willing to give me first or second round talent then I'd take it.
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Big Game JLo » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:18 pm

JustAnotherYanksFan wrote:Look at how much hype Felix had last year...

Sophmore slump?
Big Game JLo
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jswede » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:26 pm

you guys have a point with the Felix reference.

however, the difference is Liriano's change-up and that he knows how to use it. Felix had his fastball and curve, but Liriano changes speeds all over with his pitches AND has that Johan-esque change-up. which, we all know, is what makes Johan Johan.

this is all lip-service and opinion now - we'll see as time moves on.

good point though, fellas.
jswede
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates