Chavez... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Chavez...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Chavez...

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:20 pm

There have been reports the A's are considering DL'ing him today. Anyone hear anything?
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:00 pm

I read this on fanball.com

Athletics third baseman Eric Chavez had an MRI on his strained forearms on Wednesday and the results are expected to be available today. He has only one extra-base hit since June 23 and while he refuses to make excuses, you could cite the forearms, a hip flexor, and back ailments as at least part of the reason. "He's placed himself in the lineup when he could easily take days off, but he understands how valuable his presence is and his defense is at third base," general manager Billy Beane told the Contra Costa Times. "He's not 100 percent, and it's definitely affecting him and he's not going to say much."

http://www.fanball.com/bb/index.cfm
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bleedtheblue » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:26 am

from MLB.com:
Chavez out for series: The A's want to do everything possible to avoid putting third baseman Eric Chavez on the disabled list, so they're giving him the Red Sox series off.

"We don't really know how many more days we'll need," said Larry Davis, the team's athletic trainer. "But this is where we'll start."

Chavez, who has tendinitis in both forearms, didn't have much fun over the All-Star break. He underwent an MRI exam Monday in Phoenix, received treatment in Oakland on Tuesday, and flew with the team to Boston on Wednesday.

"Over the break it felt horrible," Chavez said. "Today it felt good. Some days are good, some days are bad. ... It's confusing."

Macha said he didn't want to play Chavez on Thursday and risk losing him for the next couple of days. Davis said such a cycle would likely continue if Chavez continued to try to play through the pain "if you don't find a way to stop it."

The A's have been slow to place injured players on the DL all season.

"This is probably similar," said assistant general manager David Forst. "Just like we have with a lot of guys, it's gonna be day-to-day with Eric. We're gonna take our clues from him."
"I always thought our house was haunted because nobody said boo to me" John Hiatt
bleedtheblue
College Coach
College Coach

Postby pangbones » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:22 am

So why don't they just put him on the DL, get him right, and be done with it????? :-?

He hasn't done anything the past month, so placing him on the DL now, retroactive to July 10 seems like a good move to me. Why have him miss 3 games, then play 4, then miss another 3? Doesn't make much sense to me.
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Mreater71 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:14 am

pangbones wrote:So why don't they just put him on the DL, get him right, and be done with it????? :-?

He hasn't done anything the past month, so placing him on the DL now, retroactive to July 10 seems like a good move to me. Why have him miss 3 games, then play 4, then miss another 3? Doesn't make much sense to me.

I agree. He hasn't been 100% for most of the first half, and if the A's keep doing what their doing with him, he'll never be 100%. So they should just put him on the DL, and then that will rest and help him and also help the team for the rest of the season.
Mreater71
College Coach
College Coach

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:41 pm

pangbones wrote:So why don't they just put him on the DL, get him right, and be done with it????? :-?

Read this on Fanball.com
A's manager Ken Macha stopped himself from using third baseman Eric Chavez as a pinch runner in Thursday's game because it could cost the team four days if the put Chavez on the disabled list. Chavez has not played since Sunday because of tendenitis in both forearms is able to run, but experiences pain hitting and throwing.

Don't understand why Oakland continues to postpone the inevitable.
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby cy23young » Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:22 am

I finally dropped chavez. With such a great start, thought it would be different this year. Obviously, there is something wrong with him. Just does not make sense to have him on the roster if I cant use him.
cy23young
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Slump Busters » Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:34 am

In 12+ team leagues I think he has to much late season value to simply Drop him. Although I am hoping he goes DL soon as I would like to have Zimmerman on my roster while Chavez sorts this thing out, and currently I dont have the space.
Slump Busters
College Coach
College Coach

Postby flowbee » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:35 pm

Idiots in A's management. Put him on the DL already, he's already proven he cant hit, rest him for a good 2 weeks on the DL so I can clear up this wasted roster space on my team. They still say they would hate to have to put him on the DL? WTF
flowbee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Detro76 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:43 pm

I finally dropped chavez. With such a great start, thought it would be different this year. Obviously, there is something wrong with him. Just does not make sense to have him on the roster if I cant use him.

WoW. I wish you were in my league. I may be wrong, but I hope I'm right in thinking that if/when Chavez comes back healthy he's going to have a strong finish to this season.

I'm with the rest of you guys though, I can't beleive they have waited this long to DL him when they knew he'd be out for at least this week and they could have done it retroactively.
Detro76
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates