Sidney Ponson to the Yankees - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sidney Ponson to the Yankees

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby dyuen87 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:45 pm

Honestly this move doesnt intrigue the least bit.

Can he be worse than Chacon or Wilson? i dont think so. is he any good? nope. it's just a fill in move for now.
Image
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 2514
Joined: 26 May 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:51 pm

dyuen87 wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:If this is the best that the Clueless One can do, then there is not much hope. Fact is indeed that they have dug this hole themselves. George re-signed Cashman for 3 years, for reasons only he knows. Don't need Gordon when Farnsworthless is around and we can sign him to a 3 year deal to go along with other rejects like Wright who he signed instead of picking up Lieber's option...and EVERYONE was against the Wright signing.

The simple fact of the matter is that the Yanks wil llikely be playing Golf come early October barring a Detroit implosion. There is no way this team is beating Boston as currently constituted. They have 1 good starter, 1 decent one, a 16 M number 5 in the 3 slot and 2 losers in the 4/5 slots. Their bullpen outside of Mariano is a joke for the 5th consecutive year...hard to be worse than last year, but it is with Gordon being replaced by Farsnworthless. Like this team is going to go on a 10 game winning streak having to endure 6 starts from RJ, Wright and Ponson?

And that is to say nothing of the OF mess with the injuries.


stop whining already you hypocrite. :-t


why is he whinning? what is not true about his post?
Image
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3757
Joined: 16 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Throwing rocks at The Cubby Bear.

Postby Raf » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:30 pm

Run, don't walk to the FA list in your league to pick him up.
Raf
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 370
Joined: 13 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:39 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:If this is the best that the Clueless One can do, then there is not much hope. Fact is indeed that they have dug this hole themselves. George re-signed Cashman for 3 years, for reasons only he knows. Don't need Gordon when Farnsworthless is around and we can sign him to a 3 year deal to go along with other rejects like Wright who he signed instead of picking up Lieber's option...and EVERYONE was against the Wright signing.

The simple fact of the matter is that the Yanks wil llikely be playing Golf come early October barring a Detroit implosion. There is no way this team is beating Boston as currently constituted. They have 1 good starter, 1 decent one, a 16 M number 5 in the 3 slot and 2 losers in the 4/5 slots. Their bullpen outside of Mariano is a joke for the 5th consecutive year...hard to be worse than last year, but it is with Gordon being replaced by Farsnworthless. Like this team is going to go on a 10 game winning streak having to endure 6 starts from RJ, Wright and Ponson?

And that is to say nothing of the OF mess with the injuries.


You're a fool.

I tried to think of a better way to say it, but there is none. You are a fool. I LOVE how you support all the moves the Yankees make (Vazquez, Pavano, Randy, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.) and then as soon as the players bust, you act as if you knew they were crappy deals all along.

Clueless Cashman? You're the clueless one, my friend. It's pretty ballsy for someone to support a transaction like signing Carl Pavano or trading for Javier Vazquez, and then bash the very same transactions when they don't work out. If YOU thought it was a good deal at the time, then shut the hell up. You have no right to speak if you yourself supported a specific deal.

But no, that doesn't matter to you. Let's bash everything Cashman has done. Ignore the good moves. Ignore the rings that Cashman has helped bring the New York Yankees. Ignore the fact that the entire Yankee front office makes decisions, not just Cashman. Yeah, let's dump all the blame on one guy (even though you agreed with most of the decisions he made, when he made them).

By the way, the Yankees offered Gordon the same deal as Philly. Gordon wanted to close. Is that Cashman's fault again? The sad thing is, it probably is Cashman's fault in your eyes.

:-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t
25
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 11949
(Past Year: 54)
Joined: 8 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:13 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:If this is the best that the Clueless One can do, then there is not much hope. Fact is indeed that they have dug this hole themselves. George re-signed Cashman for 3 years, for reasons only he knows. Don't need Gordon when Farnsworthless is around and we can sign him to a 3 year deal to go along with other rejects like Wright who he signed instead of picking up Lieber's option...and EVERYONE was against the Wright signing.

The simple fact of the matter is that the Yanks will likely be playing Golf come early October barring a Detroit implosion. There is no way this team is beating Boston as currently constituted. They have 1 good starter, 1 decent one, a 16 M number 5 in the 3 slot and 2 losers in the 4/5 slots. Their bullpen outside of Mariano is a joke for the 5th consecutive year...hard to be worse than last year, but it is with Gordon being replaced by Farsnworthless. Like this team is going to go on a 10 game winning streak having to endure 6 starts from RJ, Wright and Ponson?

And that is to say nothing of the OF mess with the injuries.


You're a fool.

I tried to think of a better way to say it, but there is none. You are a fool. I LOVE how you support all the moves the Yankees make (Vazquez, Pavano, Randy, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.) and then as soon as the players bust, you act as if you knew they were crappy deals all along.

Clueless Cashman? You're the clueless one, my friend. It's pretty ballsy for someone to support a transaction like signing Carl Pavano or trading for Javier Vazquez, and then bash the very same transactions when they don't work out. If YOU thought it was a good deal at the time, then shut the hell up. You have no right to speak if you yourself supported a specific deal.

But no, that doesn't matter to you. Let's bash everything Cashman has done. Ignore the good moves. Ignore the rings that Cashman has helped bring the New York Yankees. Ignore the fact that the entire Yankee front office makes decisions, not just Cashman. Yeah, let's dump all the blame on one guy (even though you agreed with most of the decisions he made, when he made them).

By the way, the Yankees offered Gordon the same deal as Philly. Gordon wanted to close. Is that Cashman's fault again? The sad thing is, it probably is Cashman's fault in your eyes.

:-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t


Cry all you want. Like I am on the Yankee payroll? When someone is paying me 3 million dollars a year to win and I do a job as half as bad as Cashman you can complain and it might have some merit. Arm chair GM'ing pays nothing and that is what most of the advice from most of the people around here is worth 99% of the time.

George could have gotten the first blithering idiot off the street in the South Bronx, paid him minimum wage and made him GM over he past 5 seasons and he could have done no worse than Cashman. Exactly what did that clown do right in the past 5 seasons? He signed Damon? George went and got Sheff and Matsui. I can list about 40 bullpen clowns and a half dozen total disasters to the starting staff...and throw in a few position clowns for good measure...all complete and total busts. If you or I got one of those 50 someodd transactions right we would be doing better than Cashman. Has Cashman made a good pitching decision on a free agent since Clemens? He is being paid to win. When some one does not do the job and is a complete disaster for 5 years running, you fire him, not give him a raise and a new 3 year contract. If you or I screw up on the job like he does, we would not last 1 year let alone 5.

You can apologize for Cashman just like you like to apologize for the choker Arod and I will continue to bash both as the losers they are. The mass media in NY is on my side on the latter issue and when the Yanks fail to make the playoffs with a 200 M payroll largely because of the team the Clueless One has built over the past few seasons, they will turn against Cashman as the fall guy. They are not going to be asking for the head of George or Billy Conners or Mark Newman or whatever other TB fool has a degree of culpability in it.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero


Posts: 9531
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DK » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:17 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:The mass media in NY is on my side


Honestly, this is the surest sign that you're wrong.
Image
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 9533
Joined: 22 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: on deck

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:28 pm

DK wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:The mass media in NY is on my side


Honestly, this is the surest sign that you're wrong.


so you think cashman is doing well in the bronx?
Image
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3757
Joined: 16 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Throwing rocks at The Cubby Bear.

Postby Amazing Oopah » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:07 pm

AT wrote:Yeah, terrible move. We have zero guys to eat up innings right now and we acquired him for nothing, or virtually nothing. Let's all huff and puff about it. :-?


Sidney likes to eat, but it's certainly not innnings. :-)
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Posts: 3712
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 1 May 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RoxSox8 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:44 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:Even at a pro-rated portion of the 300 K min salary, he is just a waste of 100K and a roster spot. Cashman is just throwing garbage at a wall hoping something sticks just like the Durazo signing and the looking at Hidalgo and all the losers this joke of a GM has run in and out of our bullpen the past 4 or 5 years.

He lucked out with Small and Chacon last season or they would not have made the playoffs. The law of probablity says you can't be wrong all the time, but Cashman has proven you can be most of the time. Ponson is not going to be any better than Chacon. In fact, I would think Chacon had a better chance of getting his head out of his butt than does Ponson.


Who would you rather have on the roster instead of him? You have so much fun bashing TJ Beam and Aaron Small...Ron Villone and Mike Myers...etc. etc. etc.

The Yankees did the exact same thing last year by giving Chacon and Small a try. I'm pretty sure you weren't complaining when those two got the Yankees into the playoffs, were you?

I'm not saying that you should expect the same from Ponson, but giving him a try doesn't hurt. He's no worse than anyone else they are having to use. Who knows...maybe he does halfway decent for them. If he doesn't, they've lost nothing.

Give it a rest.



I'm a Yankee fan, hear me, "Blah, blah, blah. " :-D
I'm not Mr. Lebowski man, I'm the Dude.

Red Sox Fan
Rockies Fan
RoxSox8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 653
Joined: 25 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Red Sox v. Yankees at Fenway Park

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:11 am

TheYanks04 wrote:Arm chair GM'ing pays nothing and that is what most of the advice from most of the people around here is worth 99% of the time.


Then why do you continue to hang around here?

You can apologize for Cashman just like you like to apologize for the choker Arod and I will continue to bash both as the losers they are. The mass media in NY is on my side on the latter issue and when the Yanks fail to make the playoffs with a 200 M payroll largely because of the team the Clueless One has built over the past few seasons, they will turn against Cashman as the fall guy. They are not going to be asking for the head of George or Billy Conners or Mark Newman or whatever other TB fool has a degree of culpability in it.


Then why like the Yankees? You seem to hate everything about them. You hate all their players. You hate their front office. You create lies and false accusations against the best player on the team (among other players) and completely rip apart their GM.

In fact, I don't believe I've ever heard you say a positive thing about the team, except when Cashman made moves to get Vazquez, Pavano, Randy, Contreras, etc. etc. etc., and then you made a giant U-Turn once everyone of those guys turned out to be a bust.

I'm not saying you have to love everything the Yankees do and love all of their players. I hate alot of things that they do. I dislike many of their players, A-Rod included. I do not, however, make up lies and completely dismiss the accomplishments of the team over the past decade.

All you do is complain. Why? You must be miserable watching this team. You represent all that is wrong with Yankee fans. You have blinders on. You're hypocritical, on several accounts. You're a product of the NY media, which falsely blames A-Rod for the teams' misfortune. You supported and defended Cashman's deals from 2002-2004, until they busted (though many of the busts were unforseen and not Cashman's fault). Now you simply ignore anything he does right.

I'm not saying Cashman is a great GM. I'm just saying that there are two sides to every story. You can't point out all Cashman's bad deals, and piss and moan about Sidney Ponson, and flat-out ignore other moves that Cashman has made to get the team to the postseason 10 years running.

You wonder why people hate Yankee fans? It's because people like you are fans of a team that spend $200 million dollars and make the playoffs for a decade straight...and ALL you do is complain. It's one thing to question and be dissappointed in the teams' decisions. It's quite another to just whine everytime you open your mouth. You are guilty of the latter.
25
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 11949
(Past Year: 54)
Joined: 8 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Sep. 17
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

LA Dodgers at Colorado
(3:10 pm)
San Francisco at Arizona
(3:40 pm)
Toronto at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Boston at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
Washington at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Miami at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
NY Yankees at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Cincinnati at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Cleveland at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Chi White Sox at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Detroit at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Milwaukee at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
Seattle at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
Texas at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Philadelphia at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact