BREAKING NEWS: Felipe Lopez and Austin Kearns traded - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

BREAKING NEWS: Felipe Lopez and Austin Kearns traded

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby activechamp2006 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:57 pm

Havok1517 wrote:Well, Austin Kearns resembles Dale Murphy in my opinion and in many others. I think he puts up similar career numbers as Murphy who is a borderline Hall of Famer.

very wishful thinking. !+)
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thatohiosportsfan » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:12 pm

alright, let me give some real advice for those of you who come on and have commented that this is a "terrible trade"
...before you read this long rant of info, i am a long time reds fan, and listen to their broadcasts every day (live in san diego, so i dont really get them on tv)...either way, i don't think this trade is nearly as bad as 97% of you seem to think...
ive noticed a few brave souls who have stepped up to the plate and said that it isn't that bad, thats because they are mostly informed, and everyone else saw two names they recognized for 5 they didn't, and called it "worst trade ever"...figures
for anyone who knows anything about the reds (not just this year, but the past 10 years)...we pride ourselves on having a power lineup with mediocre pitching...and that's really brought a whole lot of playoff births...
...when i read the trade, i was shocked at first, but unlike most, i actually thought it out, and wasn't that disappointed, but actually understood it...now did we get the highest value for these two? no...but everyone on this thread (after reading all 195 agonizing posts) seems to think theyre borderline stars, and that their value is extremely high because they're both young and seemingly on the rise...
well here's some real analysis (unlike anything those stupid @$$es on TV will tell you because they too have tunnel vision)...the reds are not a big maket team, and need a twins philosophy to start learning how to win...for any uninformed, the reds would be in first in the central with any shade of a bullpen (i know from every painful call to the bullpen - namely weathers)...
so what did krivsky do? Went to get help...he could've got more for Kearns and Lopez more than likely, but Krivsky and his staff are professionals...keep that in mind, if they didn't see any improvement pending, they would not have done this trade...
as for Kearns and Lopez THEY ARE REPLACEABLE...when you have the best player in triple A waiting in the wings, Kearns was a sacrifice willing to make...anyone that listens/watches the reds everyday would not have the same faith in Kearns as all you "fantasy gurus"...he is becoming a Dunn who sacrifices power for 20-30 points in average...he is striking out a ton, and chokes in a lot of pressure situations...and don't get me started on his D...good defender, but average range, which matters a ton...he has a great arm, but average range...write that down...
As for Lopez, he was starting to frustrate me...to all of you sucking him off for stealing 23 bases, those came in bunches, and were highly infrequent after the first quarter of the season...not to mention he's grossly streaky...his average is .265 currently (highly mediocre for how you guys make him sound)...by the way, lopez may be young, but he's a defensive liability, and has had ONE GOOD YEAR...write that down
does that mean i don't like either of them, no, because i do, but i could go through our lineup right now and argue that we are still a top three offense in the NL even with this trade (if anyone wants to call me on that, be my guest)...so this does not affect our offense as badly as everyone thinks...
As for our pen, Krivsky did what he needed to do ADDRESS THE WORST BULLPEN EVER...and that he did...paid a steep price, but a price he could afford nonetheless...either way, i think this makes us more of a contender...because last i checked, we've won our first three after the break, and i believe kearns and lopez have had real booming debuts for the Nats (thats sarcasm...fun fact)...
So please...all you uninformed people commenting on how bad this trade is...tell me at the end of this year how much we miss these two...
Last edited by thatohiosportsfan on Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.

For those of you who picked the Reds to be last in the central (including espn and si)...i hate all of you, and you are wrong...
thatohiosportsfan
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby benjapage » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:33 pm

sportsfan, i mostly agree.

i can't for the life of me, however, support the advent of royce clayton. that guy's just awful. for now, i'd rather see eddy at 3rd and aurilia at short. or put phillips at short and freel at 2nd.

i have never liked royce clayton, and now he's on my favorite team.

:-[

like i said, though...you have to give wayne the benefit of the doubt. as soon as they start making krivsky jerseys, i'm first in line.

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby thatohiosportsfan » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:37 pm

benjapage wrote:sportsfan, i mostly agree.

i can't for the life of me, however, support the advent of royce clayton. that guy's just awful. for now, i'd rather see eddy at 3rd and aurilia at short. or put phillips at short and freel at 2nd.

i have never liked royce clayton, and now he's on my favorite team.

:-[

like i said, though...you have to give wayne the benefit of the doubt. as soon as they start making krivsky jerseys, i'm first in line.

b

i agree with eddy/aurilia, i think they'd make a good combo, and if narron didnt like that tandem, id rather see castro at short, i mean for less than a weeks worth of starts, he already has 2 3-run homers...cant say he'll keep that up, but i dont think his bat is all that bad (and his glove certainly makes up for it)

For those of you who picked the Reds to be last in the central (including espn and si)...i hate all of you, and you are wrong...
thatohiosportsfan
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:38 pm

I just don't feel the Reds got the value they gave up in return or could have later on before the deadline. Guys like Williamson, Torres, & Marte could have been had for a much cheaper cost than to trade those 2 young players.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 134)

Postby jvmillion83 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:06 am

I think everybody should give Krivsky a break and see what happens. Given the 2 gms involved in this deal; Krivsky vs. Bowden. Looking at the track records, you have the guy who was assistant to one of the best GMs in baseball VS. a guy who has never developed a formula for winning. Aka, the guy who is trying to architect a well rounded team VS the guy who is still playing fantasy baseball.

This also could possibly be one of those trades three years down the road where Thompson or Bray or Brendan Harris could be like the Chris Capuano, Grady Sizemore, Derek Lowe, Varitek deals of the past where we were like "Who the heck is that guy?" But then when you watch them weekly on a FOX or ESPN broadcast, they always bring up the 4 person for 1 superstar deal, and how those were cornerstone trades where a team like the Reds were able to get that reliable 7th or 8th inning set up guy in Bray who might be in that role for 4 or 5 years.... or Thompson who might be a 15 game winner or Brendan Harris who may be token late game fillin or pinch hitter who gets those timely hits.

Just give the deal some time. Its very possible that Austin Kearns hits .230 next year while only playing in 54 games, Felipe Lopez goes Christian Guzman, and Ryan Wagner... well.. how long has it since he's been effective?
jvmillion83
College Coach
College Coach

Postby IllinoisBandit » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:47 am

3-0 post trade with a (havn't checked this out) reportedly 10 million dollars off next year's pay roll. Argue with that.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hybrid » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:06 am

IllinoisBandit wrote:3-0 post trade with a (havn't checked this out) reportedly 10 million dollars off next year's pay roll. Argue with that.

Honestly it's really easy to argue that. First off they didn't have anything for the first game after it, they basically just played 2 men down.

R. Clayton: 2-7 1rbi 1 error
Majewski: 1 1/3IP 5H 3ER 1BB 0K - 1 BS

Like most I think they got bad value back for what they gave away, it's as simple as that. A couple games after when they barely win isn't enough for anyone to come back and start saying they were right. But if someone was, neither team has been helped by the trade to much so far.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby ThisOneGuy » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:16 pm

Hmm, the Reds may have been on to something.. Lopez has 2 errors through 4 innings, costing the Nats 2 runs. That can't be good for team morale..

Of course, he did hit a solo home run earlier in the inning. :-B
ThisOneGuy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby IllinoisBandit » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:05 pm

ThisOneGuy wrote:Hmm, the Reds may have been on to something.. Lopez has 2 errors through 4 innings, costing the Nats 2 runs. That can't be good for team morale..

Of course, he did hit a solo home run earlier in the inning. :-B

Welcome to the world of Felipe Lopez.

I think the trade was very debateable from the Reds side, but from the Nat's point of view it's easy to see Bowden's set out to ruin yet another franchise.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers