Kendrick vs Gordon - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Kendrick vs Gordon

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby davidmarver » Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:58 am

The problem with Kendrick is that he doesn't have enough patience at the plate; this can present fantasy problems when Kendrick slumps, since he really doesn't walk much, any SB or Runs numbers will be muted. I think Gordon is the fairly easy pick here.
Image
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6154
Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 5.5 Hole

Postby sLim » Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:40 pm

they expect gordon could be david wright type of potential...cuz he has 30hr potential with good instincts for sbs as well...in double A this year...he is 16 for 17 in sbs...gordon is projected as a 3b...but he lacks the defensive tools of david wright...which could eventually move him to 1b for the royals...especially with teahan playing as well as he is right now...gordon should be a sept callup this year...but at the latest a starter in 07...

kendrick is thought to be a rickie weeks type of player...but with a better avg...he is projected to be a .300 hitter with 20/20 potential at 2b...he is not much of a defensive player...much like rickie weeks...but their are many scouts who believe kendrick will win batting titles some day in the bigs...kendrick just got called up and this time it should be for good...

if i had to choose between the two...i would pick gordon...even tho im a angels fan...i like gordons power potential...
sLim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 1754
Joined: 1 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Los Angeles

Postby The Loveable Losers » Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:11 pm

sLim wrote:they expect gordon could be david wright type of potential...cuz he has 30hr potential with good instincts for sbs as well...in double A this year...he is 16 for 17 in sbs...gordon is projected as a 3b...but he lacks the defensive tools of david wright...which could eventually move him to 1b for the royals...especially with teahan playing as well as he is right now...gordon should be a sept callup this year...but at the latest a starter in 07...

kendrick is thought to be a rickie weeks type of player...but with a better avg...he is projected to be a .300 hitter with 20/20 potential at 2b...he is not much of a defensive player...much like rickie weeks...but their are many scouts who believe kendrick will win batting titles some day in the bigs...kendrick just got called up and this time it should be for good...

if i had to choose between the two...i would pick gordon...even tho im a angels fan...i like gordons power potential...


Yeah, I was tempted to make the Rickie Weeks comparison but I hesitated because Weeks' contact skills aren't even in the same ballpark with Kendrick's. Kendrick's contact skills are close to Vlad level (just without the massive power that Vlad has).
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 7290
Joined: 30 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Cubs Win!!! Cubs Win!!!

Postby rmande09 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:15 pm

Uhhhh, Gordon will not be moved off 3rd. He is an above average defender and could eventually be a Gold Glove 3Bman.
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 972
Joined: 28 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby davidmarver » Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:22 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:Yeah, I was tempted to make the Rickie Weeks comparison but I hesitated because Weeks' contact skills aren't even in the same ballpark with Kendrick's. Kendrick's contact skills are close to Vlad level (just without the massive power that Vlad has).

Kendrick has been blessed this season with a .410 BABIP, compared to his .389 BABIP throughout the rest of his minor leagues. Either way that's a high number, and something that will probably drop at some point. Either way, he definitely a good prospect, but I think Gordon will greatly surpass him in fantasy value.
Image
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6154
Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 5.5 Hole

Postby The Loveable Losers » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:41 pm

davidmarver wrote:
The Loveable Losers wrote:Yeah, I was tempted to make the Rickie Weeks comparison but I hesitated because Weeks' contact skills aren't even in the same ballpark with Kendrick's. Kendrick's contact skills are close to Vlad level (just without the massive power that Vlad has).

Kendrick has been blessed this season with a .410 BABIP, compared to his .389 BABIP throughout the rest of his minor leagues. Either way that's a high number, and something that will probably drop at some point. Either way, he definitely a good prospect, but I think Gordon will greatly surpass him in fantasy value.


Definitely agree that Gordon is the better prospect. I haven't seen the numbers on Kendrick but I think he may be able to post extremely high BABIP over his career (probably in the ballpark of Ichiro's better years). He hits laser shots all over the park which makes it more likely for his hits to fall in more often.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 7290
Joined: 30 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Cubs Win!!! Cubs Win!!!

Postby hybrid » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:19 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:
sLim wrote:they expect gordon could be david wright type of potential...cuz he has 30hr potential with good instincts for sbs as well...in double A this year...he is 16 for 17 in sbs...gordon is projected as a 3b...but he lacks the defensive tools of david wright...which could eventually move him to 1b for the royals...especially with teahan playing as well as he is right now...gordon should be a sept callup this year...but at the latest a starter in 07...

kendrick is thought to be a rickie weeks type of player...but with a better avg...he is projected to be a .300 hitter with 20/20 potential at 2b...he is not much of a defensive player...much like rickie weeks...but their are many scouts who believe kendrick will win batting titles some day in the bigs...kendrick just got called up and this time it should be for good...

if i had to choose between the two...i would pick gordon...even tho im a angels fan...i like gordons power potential...


Yeah, I was tempted to make the Rickie Weeks comparison but I hesitated because Weeks' contact skills aren't even in the same ballpark with Kendrick's. Kendrick's contact skills are close to Vlad level (just without the massive power that Vlad has).


Weeks is much faster, he is more in the potential 40 SB category. I also think he has more raw power then Kendrick by about 5-10 HR's. Though Kendrick should hit for a better average like has been said cause he makes better contact.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 6107
Joined: 26 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: miles away from the unordinary

Postby sLim » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:47 pm

yea...weeks is definetly 40 sbs area...but 20/20 sounds so much better then 20/40...

i still classify felipe lopez as a 20/20 guy when hes probably around 30-40sbs too...

i think kendrick will steal more then 20 bags a year as well...but ill still call him a 20/20 guy cuz he probably wont top 20hrs if not marginally...
sLim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 1754
Joined: 1 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Los Angeles

Previous

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Apr. 19
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Chi Cubs at Chi Cubs
(1:05 pm)
Minnesota at Kansas City
(1:05 pm)
Cincinnati at Cincinnati
(1:08 pm)
Houston at Oakland
(1:35 pm)
Milwaukee at Pittsburgh
(2:10 pm)
NY Yankees at Tampa Bay
(2:20 pm)
indoors
Seattle at Miami
(4:05 pm)
indoors
NY Mets at NY Mets
(7:05 pm)
Atlanta at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Philadelphia at Colorado
(7:10 pm)
Chi White Sox at Texas
(7:10 pm)
LA Dodgers at LA Dodgers
(8:05 pm)
Arizona at Arizona
(8:10 pm)
San Diego at San Diego
(8:10 pm)
San Francisco at San Francisco
(8:40 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact