Interesting Prior statistic - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Interesting Prior statistic

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Interesting Prior statistic

Postby guest » Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:09 pm

We all know Prior has a 0.58 ERA in the past month, the best of any ERA title qualifier, while he's getting a low (for him) 8.42 K/9IP and 3.45 K/BB. At the same time, though, the most interesting stat to me is that he's throwing only 13.32 pitches every inning, second only to Tim Hudson among ERA qualifiers, while his career number in the category is 16.50 and his average this season (including this hot stretch) is 15.84. Not coincidentally, he also is second to only Livan Hernandez over that stretch in the number of CG thrown.

Now ... Is this only because he's played some bad hitting teams? Or is it that he's finally learning the value of pitch economy, and that's helping him last longer into games and make better pitches late in games?

Another related stat I thought I'd throw out there:

Mark Prior's 2002 ERA by inning:
1st -- 3.32
2nd -- 3.79
3rd -- 1.89
4th -- 4.34
5th -- 2.04
6th -- 4.50
7th -- 4.26
8th -- 4.50
9th -- 0.00 (only 1 inning)

Mark Prior's 2003 ERA by inning:
1st -- 2.35
2nd -- 5.09
3rd -- 1.17
4th -- 3.13
5th -- 1.19
6th -- 2.08
7th -- 0.73
8th -- 6.43
9th -- 2.25

Does that tell you anything at all? Me neither. But it was fun to compile. :-D

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby guest (super) » Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:12 pm

Well for me I'd bench Prior when he's pitching during an even-numbered inning and activate him again when he's pitching an odd-numbered inning. Hopefully that helps some of you guys. Girls maybe too :)
guest (super)

Postby guest » Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:13 pm

guest (super) wrote:Well for me I'd bench Prior when he's pitching during an even-numbered inning and activate him again when he's pitching an odd-numbered inning. Hopefully that helps some of you guys. Girls maybe too :)

Yup, my strategy exactly. Gotta have that quick trigger finger though. ;-D

Postby PresHabib » Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:15 pm

im not sure..but two possibilities are that he is throwing more strikes and people are putting the ball in play more often thus not striking out as often (which on average takes around 5 pitches per hitter) or that, as many people thought he may do, he has tired and has lost a few MPH on his fastball and is easier to get around on. I don't know if either of these instances are actually true but they do make sense.
Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg. I name my fantasy team "Buoyancy of Citrus", in your honor.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Interesting Prior statistic

Postby willieroe » Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:20 pm

guest wrote:Now ... Is this only because he's played some bad hitting teams? Or is it that he's finally learning the value of pitch economy, and that's helping him last longer into games and make better pitches late in games?

I think that Prior realized after the first third of the season that Dusty was going to pitch Prior's arm off regardless, and so Prior has gone more to the easy (91-92) fastball rather than the hard (95-96) fastball - and he seems to be throwing more fastballs also. So perhaps it's self-preservation.
willieroe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Interesting Prior statistic

Postby JohnnyA » Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:48 pm

willieroe wrote:
guest wrote:Now ... Is this only because he's played some bad hitting teams? Or is it that he's finally learning the value of pitch economy, and that's helping him last longer into games and make better pitches late in games?

I think that Prior realized after the first third of the season that Dusty was going to pitch Prior's arm off regardless, and so Prior has gone more to the easy (91-92) fastball rather than the hard (95-96) fastball - and he seems to be throwing more fastballs also. So perhaps it's self-preservation.

I watched last nights games ... all the fastballs were in the 94-96 mph range.

Lot's of 0-2 counts. And a few cheap innings always help the cause.

Jon
JohnnyA

Postby Madison » Fri Aug 22, 2003 12:33 am

2nd inning era isn't suprising. That's the 4-5-6 guys in the lineup. They are paid to hit the ball.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Return to Baseball Leftovers