HoF Debate: Jeff Bagwell - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

HoF Debate: Jeff Bagwell

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:13 pm

davidmarver wrote:Bagwell is the easiest of those presented thus far.

33rd on the All-Time OPS+ list, he's created the 31st most runs in baseball history, all while playing very good defense (+122 FRAA) in a low-scoring park.

The Bagwell/McGriff comparison is pretty poor. To supplement the OPS+ and RC numbers, Bagwell has a WARP3 (Wins Above Replacement Player) of 135, while McGriff is only 102 WARP3 in his career.

I say he's in fairly easily...certainly easier than Kent, Biggio, or Glavine.

You read my mind. Imo, Bagwell should be a lock.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Drunken Rhino » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:22 am

For me, I can not think of 1 1B I'd rather have than Bagwell during the 90s.

McGwire's average is too low for my liking, but certainly debateable. Thomas is too poor defensively for my liking, but again, debateable. Helton's #'s are slanted. McGriff didn't have the speed. I know I'm forgetting some 1B that deserves to be mentioned, but this is all off the top of the head.

Bagwell definitely deserves to be in the Hall.
Drunken Rhino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Tavish » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:56 am

Drunken Rhino wrote:For me, I can not think of 1 1B I'd rather have than Bagwell during the 90s.

Although most don't think of Bagwell this way, I think you can make a case for him being the best 1B since Gehrig and Foxx.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

Postby ThatDude » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:02 pm

ThatDude wrote:
noseeum wrote:But you haven't said WHY they're marginal. People show you stats to refute, and you just say "nah." What are they missing? Show us a player at the position who's in, why you wouldn't vote for that player, or what they have that this player doesn't.

Alright, but you'll have to wait until tommorrow after work or the weekend for me to put a repsonse together. My woman is in the mood, and I'm going to get it while the gettin's good.

I didn't forget about this, but I just haven't had any time to get into it. There was a death in the family last Sunday and I've been out of town taking care of things. I just got back home yesterday.

If you're still interested, I'll put something together. But it kinda looks like the HOF discussions have died down.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:12 pm

ThatDude wrote:
ThatDude wrote:
noseeum wrote:But you haven't said WHY they're marginal. People show you stats to refute, and you just say "nah." What are they missing? Show us a player at the position who's in, why you wouldn't vote for that player, or what they have that this player doesn't.

Alright, but you'll have to wait until tommorrow after work or the weekend for me to put a repsonse together. My woman is in the mood, and I'm going to get it while the gettin's good.

I didn't forget about this, but I just haven't had any time to get into it. There was a death in the family last Sunday and I've been out of town taking care of things. I just got back home yesterday.

If you're still interested, I'll put something together. But it kinda looks like the HOF discussions have died down.

There will be a new one tomorrow, rest assured ;-) though the traffic in them has certainly slowed.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 373)

Postby ThatDude » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:18 pm

bigh0rt wrote:There will be a new one tomorrow, rest assured ;-) though the traffic in them has certainly slowed.

You can blame me for that if you like.

I'll try to catch up on them, I'm not even sure who has been up for debate recently, but I have a feeling I'll find something to disagree with.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby IVIisfits138 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:01 pm

2000: 152 Runs. Absolutely unheard of these days for a 3 or 4 hitter.
Do Work
IVIisfits138
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers