HoF Debate: Jeff Bagwell - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

HoF Debate: Jeff Bagwell

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:01 pm

To me, Bagwell is borderline. While hs lacks the milestone numbers, his peak was just enormous, even as a 1B. The thing Bagwell has really going for him is his incredible OBP, because the second best thing a baseball player can do outside of hitting a homerun is not make an out; and Bagwell was one of the best of his era at that. If I'm voting he's in, but not on his first ballot. With the HoF panel? I'm not so sure. He'll probably get in but it will be a struggle for him most likely. The company that Bagwell shares could be the deciding factor on whether or not he gets in.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ttwarrior1 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:03 pm

players get rewarded for sticking with one team actually plus if you take into account his ops, stolen bases for a 1st baseman and playing in a dome that wasnt a home run hitting park helps alot. He could of had bigger numbers in the al
ttwarrior1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby George_Foreman » Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:13 pm

"Chicks dig the long ball" and apperantly that's all fantasy players notice. This is a guy who had TONS and TONS of doubles and triples. He reminds me more of Chipper Jones than Fred McGriff. A consistant force in the lineup, getting on base and driving in tons of runs.... He's a quinticential #3 hitter. I say Bagwell get in. He was one of the dominant players of the mid-90s.

Oh, and his career most comperables? Five HoFers (including Micky Mantle), Sheffield, Frank Thomas, Ken Griffey, Andres Galarraga, and err.... Fred McGriff. :-b

So yeah, he gets in. A solid HoFer if not one of the best. Like other have said, probably gets in in a weak year, etc.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ukrneal » Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:13 pm

I think how people see the career-ending injury is key. If he ages normally, I think he definitely gets in. This guy was feared. They didn't call him one of the Killer B's for nothing. He averaged over 100 RBI per year even including his later years. He hit even more doubles than HR. How many 1b have 200 steals? Heck, how many steal at all? He's got an adjusted OPS+ at #30 tied with a couple of bums named Wagner and Lajoie. And a good point was brought up, he might already have hit 500 HR had he been playing somewhere else. The Astrodome was not exactly known as being kind to power hitters and he played on that awful turf.

But he accomplished this in just 15 years (2 of which were clearly affected by his problem). We've given players like Puckett and Kiner the benefit of the doubt. Why not Bagwell?
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby KillaBees800 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:21 pm

ukrneal wrote:I think how people see the career-ending injury is key. If he ages normally, I think he definitely gets in. This guy was feared. They didn't call him one of the Killer B's for nothing. He averaged over 100 RBI per year even including his later years. He hit even more doubles than HR. How many 1b have 200 steals? Heck, how many steal at all? He's got an adjusted OPS+ at #30 tied with a couple of bums named Wagner and Lajoie. And a good point was brought up, he might already have hit 500 HR had he been playing somewhere else. The Astrodome was not exactly known as being kind to power hitters and he played on that awful turf.

But he accomplished this in just 15 years (2 of which were clearly affected by his problem). We've given players like Puckett and Kiner the benefit of the doubt. Why not Bagwell?

;-D I've been watching this guy play since I was like 12... it's close but he should get in around the 3rd ballot. You take away the Astrodome (I've been there many times.. the place is HUGE, 400+ to center and like 380 power alleys) and his bum shoulder we could be talking about one of the best hitters of his time.
KillaBees800
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Broncmet724 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:06 pm

Jeff Bagwell, no. His offensive numbers for a first baseman in that ball park are not that good. I know he didn't play his whole career in Minute Maid/Enron but still. I could think of a lot of ballpalyers I would rather have had than Bagwell during his career.

Don't get me wrong, very good major league player. Just not HoF quality
Broncmet724 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DK » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:07 pm

Broncmet724 wrote:Jeff Bagwell, no. His offensive numbers for a first baseman in that ball park are not that good. I know he didn't play his whole career in Minute Maid/Enron but still. I could think of a lot of ballpalyers I would rather have had than Bagwell during his career.

Like who? :-?
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:22 pm

Broncmet724 wrote:Jeff Bagwell, no. His offensive numbers for a first baseman in that ball park are not that good. I know he didn't play his whole career in Minute Maid/Enron but still. I could think of a lot of ballpalyers I would rather have had than Bagwell during his career.

He played very few games at Minute Maid, actually... the vast majority were played at the Astrodome, one of the biggest pitchers parks of the era.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby ThatDude » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:02 pm

I don't think Bagwell should get within sniffing distance of the HoF, even in a weak year.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DK » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:22 pm

ThatDude wrote:I don't think Bagwell should get within sniffing distance of the HoF, even in a weak year.

Damn, you just hate everyone, don't you?
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers