Are ballplayers today better than previous eras? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Are ballplayers today better than previous eras?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Are ballplayers today better than previous eras?

Postby bellings » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:06 pm

This is going to come up in every of these HOF threads getting started, so lets just pull it out and discuss how current players stack up against previous eras.

I say they are better atheletes. For my evidence, let's look at every sport that relies on a measurement. I can't think of any sport where the athletes haven't broken the world record in the last 20 years: long jump, high jump, javlin; the running events get their records broken all the time. Compare these records to the records set by athletes when the Babe was playing baseball. I bet that some current ballplayers would be able to break the records set by track and field professionals in the 20's and 30's.

So basically, there is no reason to keep a player out of the HOF because he is "only" good for the current era. If he's good in the current era, he would have ripped it up in a previous era.
bellings
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Trot Nixon » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:08 pm

HGH...thats all I have to say
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Postby noseeum » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:11 pm

I just watched the '78 one game playoff between the Yanks and Sox on ESPN classic. I was AMAZED at the long, slow swings everyone was taking.

This is just an anecdote, but I agree, with:
-players from all over the world
-minorities
-better training
-better scouting
-sabermetrics

Baseball talent is far and away better than it's ever been.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: Are ballplayers today better than previous eras?

Postby ThatDude » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:14 pm

bellings wrote:So basically, there is no reason to keep a player out of the HOF because he is "only" good for the current era. If he's good in the current era, he would have ripped it up in a previous era.

Talent is talent, regardless of era.

But the training regiments, better medicine, new surgical procedures, better scouting tools, and all of that kind of thing have to be considered as well.

Maybe Ruth would have hit 1000 HR's with some weight training and HGH, and without both of those things, maybe Bonds only hits 400. There's too many maybes in there to say for sure in either direction.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby PlayingWithFire » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:16 pm

ThatDude wrote:Maybe Ruth would have hit 1000 HR's with some weight training and HGH, and without both of those thing, maybe Bonds only hits 400. There's too many maybes in there to say for sure in either direction.

Maybe Ruth is a .250 hitter against modern pitching and if Bonds goes way back in the day and play with Ruth's era's talent, he'd hit .450?
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ThatDude » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:19 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:
ThatDude wrote:Maybe Ruth would have hit 1000 HR's with some weight training and HGH, and without both of those thing, maybe Bonds only hits 400. There's too many maybes in there to say for sure in either direction.

Maybe Ruth is a .250 hitter against modern pitching and if Bonds goes way back in the day and play with Ruth's era's talent, he'd hit .450?

Maybe. Like I said, it's just not possible to tell, in either direction.

But in your scenario, wouldn't Ruth have had access to much better healthcare and exercise facilites if he were playing today? And wouldn't Bonds be without all those things if he were playing in Ruth's era?

There's just too many variables.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby PlayingWithFire » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:26 pm

ThatDude wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:

But in your scenario, wouldn't Ruth have had access to much better healthcare and exercise facilites if he were playing today? And wouldn't Bonds be without all those things if he were playing in Ruth's era?

Well, Bonds is facing pitchers and defenders with "better healthcare and exercise facilites" and pitchers in Ruth's day don't have access to those. :-D
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby noseeum » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:31 pm

That Dude, I don't understand your logic. You say you can't compare eras, but then you say just because a guy is one of the best in his era, doesn't mean he should be in the hall.

Don't you think those two thoughts conflict?
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ThatDude » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:34 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:
ThatDude wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:

Well, Bonds is facing pitchers and defenders with "better healthcare and exercise facilites" and pitchers in Ruth's day don't have access to those. :-D

Does that smiley face mean you think you won?

What you said is just as true as what I've said. Nearly all ballplayers today are in better condition than ballplayers of previous eras.

But that doesn't mean that any player of this era would automatically dominate the players of previous eras, which was the point I was addressing from the post that started this thread.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:37 pm

To be honest, they're different games. We can imagine what a Ted Williams would have done today or what a Carl Crawford would have done in 1911, but we'll never know. I'd like to think great players excel at the game, not the era.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers