Zach Miner - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Zach Miner

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Zach Miner

Postby McBain » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:42 pm

What do people think about Miner? I picked him up but haven't seen him pitch. Is he for real? I'm considering selling high, but then again...six straight wins.

(No one in either of my Yahoo! leagues seems inclined to trade, so it is probably a moot point.)
McBain
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Zach Miner

Postby teddyballgamemvp » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:31 pm

McBain wrote:What do people think about Miner? I picked him up but haven't seen him pitch. Is he for real? I'm considering selling high, but then again...six straight wins.

(No one in either of my Yahoo! leagues seems inclined to trade, so it is probably a moot point.)

He lost his first outing to the Red Sox and never looked back. He has a good hard sinker, a slider he throws for strikes, and he's consistently good at keeping the ball in the park-- which is the key to his success. He's gives up a homer as often as a stud like Zumaya does. Hitters can't get hits off him. He and Bonderman are basically tied on the team in BAA for starters. He was also known as a guy who picked up wins in the minor leagues. He finds ways to pitch well enough for the W.
teddyballgamemvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Zach Miner

Postby McBain » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:36 pm

teddyballgamemvp wrote:
McBain wrote:What do people think about Miner? I picked him up but haven't seen him pitch. Is he for real? I'm considering selling high, but then again...six straight wins.

He lost his first outing to the Red Sox and never looked back. He has a good hard sinker, a slider he throws for strikes, and he's consistently good at keeping the ball in the park-- which is the key to his success. He's gives up a homer as often as a stud like Zumaya does. Hitters can't get hits off him. He and Bonderman are basically tied on the team in BAA for starters. He was also known as a guy who picked up wins in the minor leagues. He finds ways to pitch well enough for the W.

Does he keep it up, or does he return to Earth after the break?

(Also, there is talk of the Tigers going to six starters when Maroth returns, which could either enhance his staying power, or reduce his value.)
McBain
College Coach
College Coach

Postby d18Mike » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:39 am

I'm in DET and have seen all but one of his starts -- he's not a super prospect, a la Hamels, Weaver etc... He has piched very well to date. He is , however, benefitting largely from the first-time-around-the-league honeymoon and having a quality team behind him. His hit and strand to rates to date reflect a tremendous deal of luck. Remember, his AAA WHIP is around 1.5.

As a Tiger fan, I hope he remains the second coming of Pedro Martinez. But his historical skill numbers point him being more like the second coming of Pedro Astacio. Best guess? 4.25-4.50 and .500 record through the next 3 months. And I hope I'm wrong!
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Injuries & Player Updates