BJ Upton to 3B (short term?) could be up in a few weeks - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

BJ Upton to 3B (short term?) could be up in a few weeks

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:11 pm

with his atrocious fielding, why dont they change him to an outfielder or something?
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:14 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:with his atrocious fielding, why dont they change him to an outfielder or something?

His fielding has been improved this year, though he still can have a rough patch w/ his throwing. Anyways your about the 173,847,874 person who has asked why don't they move him to the OF. All I can say is that have you looked at the OF for the Rays? Not trying to be rude at all, it is just somewhat odd that people don't see the obvious reason before they ask.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby noseeum » Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:33 pm

hybrid wrote:
BitterDodgerFan wrote:with his atrocious fielding, why dont they change him to an outfielder or something?

His fielding has been improved this year, though he still can have a rough patch w/ his throwing. Anyways your about the 173,847,874 person who has asked why don't they move him to the OF. All I can say is that have you looked at the OF for the Rays? Not trying to be rude at all, it is just somewhat odd that people don't see the obvious reason before they ask.

Actually, they asked him before the season started, "Would you like to play OF in the majors or SS in the minors to try and develop another season?"

He chose SS.

Can't remember where I saw the article, but I'll dig.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby hybrid » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:03 pm

Yep he chose to stay at SS, cause he believes he can improve and stay there. Regardless of his decision though there is no room for him in the Rays OF. Someone would of had to be traded w/ Crawford, Rocco, and Delmon (not to mention Dukes) already in the OF.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby bwagner112 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:15 pm

Just read on Fanball that Upton was officially moved to 3B....interesting....
bwagner112
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:22 pm

I'd guess that the DRays may try to resign Lugo and keep him longer term (at least until the prospect SS they got for Huff comes up).
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby Dannomyte » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:52 pm

BJ Upton switches to 3B in wake of Huff trade

TOLEDO -- B.J. Upton's immediate future went from cloudy to clear within a few hours Wednesday afternoon after the Tampa Bay front office decided the former top pick would best serve the club by what initially appears to be a temporary move to third base.

Andrew Friedman, the Devil Rays' vice president of baseball operations, announced in an afternoon conference call that Upton would remain at Triple-A Durham in the wake of the trade that sent Aubrey Huff to Houston. However, instead of playing shortstop, which is Upton's preference and primary position, the second overall pick in the 2002 draft will slide over to third, where he will spend a few weeks familiarizing himself with the position in preparation for a call-up to the Major Leagues.

The announcement came four hours after Friedman spoke to the media about the deal in which he acquired utility player Ben Zobrist and right-hander Mitch Talbot. Zobrist will report to Durham, where he will play shortstop.

"I want to be a shortstop," Upton told MLB.com Wednesday afternoon as he prepared for the Triple-A All-Star Game at Fifth Third Field. "But [Friedman] explained the whole situation to me. That's what they want me to do so that's what I have to do. It's what's best for the organization."

"Of course I'm excited about this. And I don't think it will take that long for me to get used to being over there," Upton said. "It's more of a reaction position over there so it might take me a couple of days, but I don't think it will take longer than that."

Friedman said there had been "lots of discussion" internally about moving Upton to third base once talks with Houston intensified. Upton will work with Jimy Williams and the staff at Durham to make the adjustment to third, but there is no clear timetable as to when he will be promoted to Tampa Bay.

The move is also not a signal that the organization has given up on Upton playing shortstop. What happens with Julio Lugo will play a large role in Upton's future. The odds that Lugo might follow Huff out of Tampa before this month's trading deadline remain high, and even if that doesn't happen there is no guarantee the Devil Rays will re-sign Lugo this winter.

"It will be as soon as we feel he's comfortable," Friedman said of Upton's expected promotion. "It's hard to say. It could be two weeks. It could be longer. This is not giving up on him playing shortstop, though, if things stay status quo with Lugo as our shortstop for the rest of the year. In the off-season we'll reconvene and put our heads together and come up with the right course of action for going forward with Upton."

"I talked to him and his reaction was very good," Friedman said. "He's very team-oriented. He sees himself as a shortstop but he's anxious to help out any way he can. He understands this is a short-term thing and that we'll see how it takes form from there."

The biggest question regarding Upton has always been his defense. He committed 53 errors while playing shortstop last season and has made 28 through the midway mark this year. He's made 181 errors throughout his four professional seasons, which includes a 45-game stint with the Devil Rays in 2004.

Upton played the only 13 games of his pro career at third base that season, committing two errors over that stretch. He made nine errors in 16 games at shortstop that season with the glut of miscues leading to a great deal of speculation that the Devil Rays would move him to the outfield. That his younger brother, Justin, whom Arizona made the top pick in the 2005 draft, moved from shortstop to center field upon signing only added fuel to the theory that such a move was possible.

But Tampa Bay insiders say such a conversation has never taken place, internally or with Upton. In fact, despite his error total this season, the club is actually happy with the progress he's made at shortstop.

"I'm 110 percent more comfortable [at shortstop] now," said Upton, who is hitting .269 with six homers, 36 RBIs and an International League-leading 37 steals. "My main focus this year has been defense. Right now I couldn't feel better at short. I would say I was shaky at the beginning of the year, but I'm pretty happy with the way things have been going now. I don't think I've gone backwards. I think I've gone forward."

"Some of it in the beginning of the year was concentration and arm slot. And some things haven't gone my way scorecard wise. But that happens to everyone," Upton said. "I've always been a shortstop, that's all I know. But I'm not a quitter, and I don't like people telling me I can't do things. I was drafted for my defense, not my hitting, and when I got to pro ball it kind of did a turn on me."

Upton added, in a rather matter-of-fact fashion, that he could go and play center field right now if he had to and would be comfortable out there. In a bit of an ironic twist, he says he actually encouraged his brother to switch positions because the Diamondbacks wanted Stephen Drew, who was also in Toledo Wednesday night, to play short.

"If playing center field gets him to the big leagues quicker than I'm all for it," Upton said of his brother.

Upton wants no part of the outfield, though. Long-term, he doesn't want any part of third base, either. But the switch will get him to Tampa Bay quicker and for now, that's all that matters.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/ ... &fext=.jsp
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby PlayingWithFire » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:13 pm

is the Wes Bankston to 3B experiment thankfully over? :-o
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby hybrid » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:37 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:is the Wes Bankston to 3B experiment thankfully over? :-o

Yeah I think that was over as soon as Evan Longoria was drafted. :-°
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby flowbee » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:48 pm

Hollins out, Upton in RF

Or minute chance he could get traded to the rockies http://www.all-baseball.com/altitude/ar ... 23530.html
flowbee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers