Electric Drums - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Electric Drums

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Electric Drums

Postby acsguitar » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:26 pm

Anyone know anything about electric drum sets. I want one but I don't wanna spend more then 500 bucks.

What should I look for?
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chadlincoln » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:24 pm

Electric drums suck. I spent about $1600 on a set. You're never going to get a good sound out of them, especially if you don't want to spend as much as you're spending. I bought the Yamaha DTExpress III and after about 8 months a cymbol started shorting out which was really annoying and obvious. We used it about once a week. I took it down and have it in storage right now where it will sit for a while. Here is what we had and didn't like:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=443018

What are you going to use it for?
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby acsguitar » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:56 pm

chadlincoln wrote:Electric drums suck. I spent about $1600 on a set. You're never going to get a good sound out of them, especially if you don't want to spend as much as you're spending. I bought the Yamaha DTExpress III and after about 8 months a cymbol started shorting out which was really annoying and obvious. We used it about once a week. I took it down and have it in storage right now where it will sit for a while. Here is what we had and didn't like:

I just want some cheap drums that won't wake up the neighbors basically. Drums are so noisy that I figured electric would be the way to go. Maybee I should just buy a cheap set.
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:14 pm

It's a good idea basically because you can put headphones on of course. They really don't sound that good unless you spend 2K+. If you're just looking to put a beat behind your guitar get a cheap drum machine and a 4-tracker.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:01 am

doesnt Danny Carey play electronic drums? you should just get what he gets
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby chadlincoln » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:13 am

acsguitar wrote:
chadlincoln wrote:Electric drums suck. I spent about $1600 on a set. You're never going to get a good sound out of them, especially if you don't want to spend as much as you're spending. I bought the Yamaha DTExpress III and after about 8 months a cymbol started shorting out which was really annoying and obvious. We used it about once a week. I took it down and have it in storage right now where it will sit for a while. Here is what we had and didn't like:

I just want some cheap drums that won't wake up the neighbors basically. Drums are so noisy that I figured electric would be the way to go. Maybee I should just buy a cheap set.
As long as you're not using it for live sound/recording/production, a cheap set would work if all you want is something to hit on that'll make a sound. It'll sound like an 80's beat box, but it won't wake the neighbors.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:15 am

I just made a deal with a dude for a 5 piece set for 200 bucks on craigslist.

Non Electric. It comes with to Zjdian? ZBT cymbols. One 13 inch High Hat and a Crash/Ride

Those two symbols retail for 150 combined so I'm hoping the set isn't crap. I'm trying to get in touch with him so I can see what kind of set it is. ;-D

Thanks for the help guys
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:42 am

acsguitar wrote:I just made a deal with a dude for a 5 piece set for 200 bucks on craigslist.

Non Electric. It comes with to Zjdian? ZBT cymbols. One 13 inch High Hat and a Crash/Ride

Those two symbols retail for 150 combined so I'm hoping the set isn't crap. I'm trying to get in touch with him so I can see what kind of set it is. ;-D

Thanks for the help guys

So waking the neighbors really isn't a priority anymore? :-b
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:36 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
acsguitar wrote:I just made a deal with a dude for a 5 piece set for 200 bucks on craigslist.

Thanks for the help guys

Well I'm not like wall to wall to any neighbors and when I blast my guitar its really not that loud. I'll put some pillows in the bass drum and maybee take the snare's off of the snare or get a practice pad.

We'll see :) I might egg crate the room too ;-D
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:52 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:

Thanks for the help guys

Well I'm not like wall to wall to any neighbors and when I blast my guitar its really not that loud. I'll put some pillows in the bass drum and maybee take the snare's off of the snare or get a practice pad.

We'll see :) I might egg crate the room too ;-D

A few years back we had a garage we used to play in all the time. Neighbors always got really pissed and we'd basically play until someone threatened to kill us or the cops showed up. I was working in a hotel at the time and the housekeeping department got rid of over 100 pillows so I took them (they were clean). We lined that garage with pillows, wall to wall. When you shut the garage door you could still hear it, but much less and we didn't have anymore problems. Summertime was really hot.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to General Talk