Huff traded to Astros (Merged) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Huff traded to Astros (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Rohan » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:02 pm

Agreed. Nice post Chad.

Did a ctrl F and only found this.
This doesn't have any Delmon Young implecations does it?
Rohan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby corbs315 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:07 pm

geez. The astros are my team, and there has never been a player I hated more than Jason Lane. Today is a happy day.
corbs315
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mak1277 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:09 pm

The guy I'm worried about is Preston Wilson. I snagged him off the free agent list in my NL-only and he's actually been ok (aside from the small problem of not hitting HRs anymore). He's been a decent fill in for Rowand at least.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Dannomyte » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:19 pm

Here is an article that talks a little bit about the prospects TB got.

ST. PETERSBURG -- The Tampa Bay Devil Rays have acquired a pair of Minor League prospects, right-handed pitcher Mitch Talbot and switch-hitting shortstop Ben Zobrist, from the Houston Astros in exchange for third baseman Aubrey Huff and cash, it was announced on Wednesday. Talbot and Zobrist will report to Double-A Montgomery.

Talbot, 22, appeared in 18 games, making 17 starts, with Corpus Christi of the Double-A Texas League this season, going 6-4 with a team-best 3.39 ERA, eighth lowest in the league. He walked just 29 batters while striking out 98, the third most in the league, including a club-record 12 strikeouts June 22 against Arkansas (Angels). He owns a record of 28-29 and a 3.79 ERA in his four-year professional career holding opponents to a .262 batting average.

Talbot was originally selected by the Astros in the second round (70th overall) of the 2002 June Draft. Baseball America tabbed him as having the best changeup in the Houston organization following last season.

Zobrist, 25, was batting .328 with a team-high 25 doubles and a league-best six triples in 82 games for Corpus Christi this season. Named the Texas League's South Division All-Star starting shortstop, his average ranks second in the league while his 102 hits are fourth most. He also ranks second in the league with a .435 on-base percentage while leading the circuit with 55 walks.

Originally selected by Houston in the sixth round of the 2004 June Draft, Zobrist was named the New York-Penn League's Rookie of the Year in 2004 with Class A Tri-City and was the starting shortstop for Team USA at last year's World Cup in the Netherlands.

Huff, 29, batted .283 with 8 home runs and 28 RBI this season for the Rays. He is the Rays' all-time career leader in games (798), AB's (3,016), runs (399), hits (868), doubles (173), home runs (128), extra-base hits (307) and RBI (449). He is the only Ray to hit 20 or more home runs in four seasons and is one of five left-handed hitters in the Majors to average 100 or more RBIs the past three seasons, joining David Ortiz, Carlos Delgado, Hideki Matsui and Bobby Abreu. A fifth-round draft pick by the Rays in 1998, Huff has played in 631 of 697 Rays games since his permanent arrival May 28, 2002, including a club-record 398 consecutive games.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/ ... &fext=.jsp
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby corbs315 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:24 pm

Wilson won't be going anywhere anytime soon. It'll be Wilson, Huff, Berkman; with Lamb at 1st.

I wish Burke would learn SS.
corbs315
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bleedtheblue » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:31 pm

Sunspot wrote:I wonder if he will play on Thursday? We might lose a game if he doesn't get to Houston right away, which in a week so short that could be a reason to bench him this week.

Per MLB.com: "Huff is expected to be in the lineup on Thursday night when the Astros take on the Marlins at Dolphins Stadium."

Unfortunately, he will be facing a tough lefty.
"I always thought our house was haunted because nobody said boo to me" John Hiatt
bleedtheblue
College Coach
College Coach

Postby converge241 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:36 pm

tough for ensberg owners who didnt sell high on him before with word of huff getting time at 3B
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby bazzy_51 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:46 pm

one of the questions was how will this affect him moving to the NL...i know there were alot of answers already about this, but this one stood out to me...he is batting .430+ this year against NL pitching, so he should step in and produce right away...now after i say this think hes worth a roster spot? hes a FA in one of my leagues...

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Don G. » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:52 pm

He's facing dontrelle so it won't be easy. Good to know he'll still be in the lineup though.
Last edited by Don G. on Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don G.
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Don G. » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:54 pm

hey bazzy...he is definetly worth a roster spot....his surge started in interleague games against nl pitching

it would help though if you posted your roster.....make a thread in the correct forum and i can give you a better response.
Don G.
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers