Huff traded to Astros (Merged) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Huff traded to Astros (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby NZF » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:46 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:
NZF wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:Ahhh. Last I saw, the DRays are a pretty decent ffensive squad, esp when Baldelli and Cantu are healthy.

They're terrible. They do rate in HR's but they are second worst in the majors in BA, third worst in Runs scored and dead last in OBP.

You ignore the fact that Baldelli and Cantu missed most of the first half. Crawdord, Lugo, Cantu, Baldelli, Gomes, Wiggington is not all bad. Their basic problem is they get nada out of C and 1b for the most part.

Yeah they did but going on Baldell's track record, who's to say he doesn't miss most of the second half as well and by mentioning Wigginton and good offense in the same sentence you shot your argument down in flames.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StudentOfTheGame » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:49 am

bigh0rt wrote:
NZF wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
NZF wrote:It is well known that Minute Maid does disadvantage left handed hitters but Berkman does have very good power numbers there so I'm not too worried about it. Although there is a expected small decline of RBI's and Runs with a move to the NL, Huff is also going to a better line-up so this effect should be off-set. As long as he makes the league adjustment quickly this doesn't really have any affect in fantasy mixed leagues.

I'm not so sure Houston's lineup is better than Tampa's...

Also, don't forget (not that you did, but anyone) that Berkman's switch, so not all of his power comes from the left side. ;-D

True he is switch but his power numbers at home are far better than on the road and the majority of his numbers at home are against right handed pitching.

20 of his 24 HRs from the left side. I hadn't realized that.

Berkman hits alot of his homeruns from the left side of the plate, but alot of these HRs go to opposite field where the infamous Crawford Boxes are. If you go here: http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats ... statType=1 you will see that 7 of Berkman's homers have gone into the Crawford Boxes.

Check out Huff's homers:

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/ind ... statType=1

You can go back to last year too and you will see that Huff hits most of his homers to right field....He probably won't take advantage of the 315 left field wall in Minute Maid like Berkman does.....I don't think his move to Houston will change his power numbers a bit. I'm expecting Huff's usual second half numbers.
StudentOfTheGame
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pangbones » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:45 am

First off, Huff bats Left, so the short porch in leftfield won't help him much. Secondly, it sounds like he'll be playing 3B while Ensberg struggles, probably against righties, and then he'll play RF, and some 1B as well. I've seen some speculation that he'll sit vs Lefties, because he's hitting .232 against them this year. But I doubt that because over his career he hits .278 vs Lefties, vs .291 vs Righties. I think this move helps him, and the Astros. I hope they hit him 4th, behind Berkman.

Hopefully he plays everyday, and continues his trend of hot play after the All Star break. Just check his splits, he's much better post AS Break over his career. Oh, by the way he hit .453 (29-for-64) with four homers and 12 RBI in 16 interleague games this year. ;-D

I'm glad I got him 3 weeks ago, hoping he'd go on his usual tear. I've already received a few offers for him. ;-)
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby pangbones » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:06 am

raiders_umpire wrote:
dyuen87 wrote:I havent seen a post on this yet, but another issue that arises. With Aubrey Huff out of the picture, a spot opens up in the RF, will Delmon FINALLY get his shot, even with the bat-throwing incident, he's the best prospect in the minors.

If the bat throwing incident had never occurred, Yes I think Delmon would be getting the call right now. But due to the bat throwing incident, I don't think we will see Delmon in Tampa til September.

Huff played 3B all year. So why would they call up Young?

Upton is being moved to 3B in the minors, and they plan on calling him up, "when he's comfortable there," for the remainder of the year. Wigginton will play 3B in the mean time.

I think this will help Huff, and the Astros. His career numbers post AS Break are much better than before the Break. And as someone else stated he hit .453 (29-for-64) with four homers and 12 RBI in 16 interleague games. He's hot right now, and I'm hoping that continues. I have Oswalt, Pettitte, Berkman, and Huff. ;-D
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby MashinSpuds » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:28 pm

Anyone notice in their AL-only Yahoo league that Huff is still eligible? I have him playing for Houston on my squad... it'd be great if the system shall be cheated!
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:58 pm

MashinSpuds wrote:Anyone notice in their AL-only Yahoo league that Huff is still eligible? I have him playing for Houston on my squad... it'd be great if the system shall be cheated!

Maybe the NL traded Houston to the AL. :-B
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mak1277 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:26 pm

MashinSpuds wrote:Anyone notice in their AL-only Yahoo league that Huff is still eligible? I have him playing for Houston on my squad... it'd be great if the system shall be cheated!

Until you drop him, you will continue to see his stats show up on your individual team's page (he doesn't just get "deleted"). Those stats will not, however, be added into your team's totals.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby MashinSpuds » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:36 pm

Ahhh.. thanks for the tip mak1277. But I laughed and hoped it could be true, Omaha. Time to search for a better than average scrub!
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:29 pm

ASTRO DONG!!!! ;-D
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter