Hirsh or Pelfrey? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Hirsh or Pelfrey?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hirsh or Pelfrey?

Postby JRM4833 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:48 am

Looking to make a deal in a league with minor league rosters. I'd have to give up more to get Pelfrey so I wanted to know if Hirsh is really that far below Pelfrey in terms of value. I assume Hirsh will be up in September and Pelfrey will be another year or two?

General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Galt » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:01 am

Pelfrey is up right now, and staying.
Galt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby JRM4833 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:05 am

Galt wrote:Pelfrey is up right now, and staying.

Doh. I gotta keep up on these things a bit more like I used to.

So the little bit extra I would have to give up to get Pelfrey instead of Hirsh (assuming he goes for the addition) would be Hamels (who he wants, but I'd ask for a small amount of league cash).

General Manager
General Manager

Postby teddyballgamemvp » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:06 am

Pelfrey is the 2nd best pitching prospect behind Hughes (with Bailey and Adenhart behind them), excluding Billingsley (who would be #1), IMO. However, Hirsh is easily a Top 40 overall prospect and he'll have Clemens to mentor him (Hirsh will certainly be up by September, and, also, Clemens is staying in a role with the team after he retires). If you can get Hirsh reasonably, go for it.
teddyballgamemvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby JRM4833 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:11 am

teddyballgamemvp wrote:Pelfrey is the 2nd best pitching prospect behind Hughes (with Bailey and Adenhart behind them), excluding Billingsley (who would be #1), IMO. However, Hirsh is easily a Top 40 overall prospect and he'll have Clemens to mentor him (Hirsh will certainly be up by September, and, also, Clemens is staying in a role with the team after he retires). If you can get Hirsh reasonably, go for it.

So would you try getting Pelfrey (and a small amount of league money) instead of Hirsh by throwing in Hamels (who I'm down on)?

My overall deal right now is:

I get Jose Lopez, Eric Chavez and Hirsh

I give M Giles, Chipper and Clemens.

Keep in mind that part of the reason I like the deal is due to contract issues, which I won't boar you with. But I do get the better end of the contracts as Giles and Chipper will be gone next year anyways. And since I'm out of the playoff hunt, Clemens is nothing but a bargaining chip.

General Manager
General Manager

Postby nathan050904 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:14 am

I am not high on Hirsch as I am on Pelfrey but, then again I am a Pelfrey owner. I don't think I'd throw in Hamels into such a deal. To me it makes no sense. Yes, Hamels has struggled but, he still has a ton of potential no matter what the others on this board have to say about the matter.

I own both Pelfrey and Hamels in my dynasty I really like both and I believe that if they were in the minors they'd easily be in the top 5 pitching prospects in the minors...
nathan050904
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby JRM4833 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:46 am

nathan050904 wrote:I am not high on Hirsch as I am on Pelfrey but, then again I am a Pelfrey owner. I don't think I'd throw in Hamels into such a deal. To me it makes no sense. Yes, Hamels has struggled but, he still has a ton of potential no matter what the others on this board have to say about the matter.

I own both Pelfrey and Hamels in my dynasty I really like both and I believe that if they were in the minors they'd easily be in the top 5 pitching prospects in the minors...

Well the problem with Hamels is that I jumped the gun earlier this year and promoted him to a major league contract. So Pelfrey has more value just in the fact that he's still a minor leaguer in our system.

I know some people aren't as down on Hamels, but his stuff lately and his injury history makes me much more inclined to deal him for decent value.

General Manager
General Manager

Postby TurdFerguson » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:49 pm

I think Hirsh is really underrated.You could probably get a better deal for him(not give up as much)
TurdFerguson
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby nathan050904 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:22 am

Iam not down on Hamels because, he pitches in the NL not the AL. If you look at who he's had the most problems against have been AL teams. That's just a theory. Besides the fact hes 22 and has played less then 50 innings.
nathan050904
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RyanK » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:37 am

JRM... I'm trying to get Pelfry from RJ B-)

but that might not be happening... I like that deal you got above for you.. you move giles 4/4 and get chavez in a 1/2 and add Lopez and a young arm in Hirsh. I know RJ doesnt like giving up FFs, but I'd ask for either Pelfry or 2 FFs along with Hirsh. Then trade Pelfry to me :-D
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Return to Minor League & College Baseball