Beckett will be better in the 2nd half...thoughts? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Beckett will be better in the 2nd half...thoughts?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby blankman » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:44 pm

tomdoyle3 wrote:
scr wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:
scr wrote:I sold high on Beckett at the break.

I gave: Beckett

I got: Lester, P. Byrd, H.Kenrick.

I don't think that was a sell high. :-/

Not a sell high?

Beckett's ERA is approaching 5. Lester's era is 3. Lester's K/9's are higher than Beckett's. Lester would have gotten the win last night if not for bad defense in the 7th. Kendrick is only hitting .400 in AAA, a keeper at one buck. Lester is a keeper at 5. Byrd was a throw in, in case Lester falls to pieces. Kendrick is going to be a stud. Beckett was a keeper at 10.

Sorry, TB, but I think I made out on this deal, maybe bigtime. Depends on if Kendrick lives up to his hype. BTW, have you watched Beckett pitch this year? I watched him against the Yanks a month ago-he couldn't throw his curve over, and got totally pounded.

SCR, just to let you know, a guy with a 4.75 era is not a sell high.

If Beckett's ERA keeps going up, as it is today, then it is a sell high.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby teddy ballgame » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:55 pm

scr wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:
scr wrote:I sold high on Beckett at the break.

I gave: Beckett

I got: Lester, P. Byrd, H.Kenrick.

I don't think that was a sell high. :-/

Not a sell high?

Beckett's ERA is approaching 5. Lester's era is 3. Lester's K/9's are higher than Beckett's. Lester would have gotten the win last night if not for bad defense in the 7th. Kendrick is only hitting .400 in AAA, a keeper at one buck. Lester is a keeper at 5. Byrd was a throw in, in case Lester falls to pieces. Kendrick is going to be a stud. Beckett was a keeper at 10.

Sorry, TB, but I think I made out on this deal, maybe bigtime. Depends on if Kendrick lives up to his hype. BTW, have you watched Beckett pitch this year? I watched him against the Yanks a month ago-he couldn't throw his curve over, and got totally pounded.

Yes, I have watched him pitch. Almost all of his starts. }:-) Seems to me like you've watched what? 1? Just giving my opinion. I don't think Beckett for an unproven arm, washed up starter, and guy without a job is really selling high, but if you like it, then that's all that matters.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby blankman » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:01 pm

ERA's up to 5.12 now.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby CHE » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:22 pm

mcliffy2 wrote:
I don't think it's so much the size of the park as the size of the sample. Beckett may improve but the idea that he'll maintain a lower ERA at Fenway than on the road.... no.

Any interest in placing a cash wager on this? I mean he already has a 4 point lead at home (2.5 ERA v 6.5 on the road)...and on the road 2 HR/game v. .57 HR/game at Fenway. It might convene, but I predict a 3.25-3.5 ERA at Fenway and a 4.5ish road ERA from here out, ending up somewhere around 4 on the season.

I understand all the arguments made as to why he'll tank, etc, but none of them explain the numbers, and the numbers are right a surprising amount of the time.

How many starts are you using?? Just because hes pitching better at fenway doesnt really matter. ;-7 Hes still gona have a era around 4.5 in the second half, maybe even worst. And ill be surprise if his arm is still healthy in sept.
ThA KinG : 55 points - tied for first place
CHE
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Members Only Jackets » Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:28 am

:-t starting to really hate buckett
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 2)

Postby scr » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:29 am

Selling High: Beckett had ran off 4 straight wins before the break. I made my decision to sell Beckett after he imploded against the Yankess. I used the 1 game as the basis for me selling, but really, I have watched Beckett pitch all season (I subscribe to MLB TV). Up until that game with the Yanks, I figured he'd turn it around. After watching the game, I hoped he would get hot and I could trade him. For some reason, it looks like Beckett can only throw his fastball for stikes and the opposition is teeing off on him.

To be fair, my pitching staff includes Liriano, Verlander, Halladay, Smoltz, Haren and now Lester. I've got Myers, Billingsley, Hamels, Byrd & Baker on my bench. I figured I could afford to trade Beckett and take a chance on Lester & Kendrick (who was called up yesterday).
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby tomdoyle3 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:21 am

scr wrote:Selling High: Beckett had ran off 4 straight wins before the break. I made my decision to sell Beckett after he imploded against the Yankess. I used the 1 game as the basis for me selling, but really, I have watched Beckett pitch all season (I subscribe to MLB TV). Up until that game with the Yanks, I figured he'd turn it around. After watching the game, I hoped he would get hot and I could trade him. For some reason, it looks like Beckett can only throw his fastball for stikes and the opposition is teeing off on him.

To be fair, my pitching staff includes Liriano, Verlander, Halladay, Smoltz, Haren and now Lester. I've got Myers, Billingsley, Hamels, Byrd & Baker on my bench. I figured I could afford to trade Beckett and take a chance on Lester & Kendrick (who was called up yesterday).

Yes, but he really can't get much worse, can he? A guy that the opposition is "teeing off" on is not a sell high.
tomdoyle3
College Coach
College Coach

Postby scr » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:57 am

The Sell High was trading the guy after running off 4 consecutive wins, and reading about how great he is in the Boston media. Remember, Gammons predicted Cy Young for Beckett this year (and Crosby for MVP).
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:51 pm

please please please boston make the playoffs.

beckett as a number 2.. ;-7 :-P
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby RoxSox8 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:22 pm

scr wrote:The Sell High was trading the guy after running off 4 consecutive wins, and reading about how great he is in the Boston media. Remember, Gammons predicted Cy Young for Beckett this year (and Crosby for MVP).

Was that prediction before or after he had major head surgery?

I am a Sox fan and owner of Beckett and he will periodically implode and then settle down. A good #2 or 3 starter but not an ace.

Here's to Gammons having a quick recovery to talk about the Sox in the Fall when they make their World Series Run. ;-D
I'm not Mr. Lebowski man, I'm the Dude.

Red Sox Fan
Rockies Fan
RoxSox8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers