Need help with starting pitching - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Need help with starting pitching

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Need help with starting pitching

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 21, 2003 12:55 am

I'm in a 10 team league with some of my friends. I have Meche and Clement and I'm thinking about dropping them for a couple of the pitchers on the FA list, which includes:

Beckett
Escobar
Sabathia
Stephenson
Anderson
Trachsel
Pavano
Washburn
Garcia

Here are my starters:

Webb
Brown
Hudson
Miller
Clement
Meche

Which starters should I pick up from this list of FA's, if at all.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby jdh » Thu Aug 21, 2003 1:33 am

Well, here is how I would rank that list of free agents.

1. Beckett: has been awesome since coming off the DL, a huge K machine playing for a red hot team
2. Washburn: went through an awful stretch in the middle of the season but has been hot lately. Won't get you many Ks but should be a top 20 starter the rest of the way.
3. Sabathia: Has been very solid all year, top 10 in the AL in ERA. He doesn't get many Ks though and won't get alot of wins on that lousy team.
4. Escobar: Has been good since becoming a starter but gets bombed from time to time, and he has always been a very streaky hot/cold player. He's good when he's on but bench or cut him as soon as you see 2 straight bad starts.
5. Trachsel: He's on right now but is the type of pitcher that either will throw a shutout or get lit up most of the time. Bad team won't get many wins.
6. Garcia: Extremely unreliable. I wouldn't trust him at this point, as he could easily go out and give up 10 ER on any given start, although he seems to be back on a hot streak again lately.
7. Pavano: Also very erratic. Every once and a while he'll get badly rocked (ie fiasco at Boston). Not worth the risk.
8. Stephenson: Too erratic to trust.

I would definitely drop Meche and pickup Beckett. Meche has been pretty lousy since his hot start. It's a tossup between keeping Clement or getting Washburn. Clement does have a really ugly start every once and awhile, but I would probably keep him because of his strikeouts.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ramble2 » Thu Aug 21, 2003 1:45 am

Definitely grab Beckett. He's looked good as of late, and he will give you more strikeouts than Meche.

I'm not a huge Clement fan. I dropped him a couple of months ago, and even though he's had some nice games since then I've never regretted it. He's too unpredictable; he's either golden or completely blows up. Consistency is one of the most valuable traits a pitcher can have for a fantasy manager.

Of the other starters, here's something to consider.

Sabathia's next start is against the Devil Rays (on Friday).
Washburn's next start is against the Tigers (on Saturday).

Both are good spot starts. If you are on Yahoo, you could pick up Sabathia for Friday's game. On Friday you can drop Sabathia (opening up a roster spot on Saturday), and pick up Washburn (again, on Friday). Then you can decide whether to stay the course with Washburn, grab someone else, or spot start the rest of the way. jdh seems to be pretty much on target with his evals...

I'm assuming, of course, that you are not facing any kind of IP crunch.
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:37 am

yeah I agree Clement's way too unpredictable. I got him just when I thought he's turned it around, then he burns me with a horrendous game. Then once I bench him, he goes out and pitches a gem. That's why I decided to drop him. I've already picked up beckett. I guess I'm going to pick up sabathia for friday then drop him and give washburn a shot.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby pkarr5000 » Thu Aug 21, 2003 7:36 am

jb
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby wrveres » Thu Aug 21, 2003 5:28 pm

How can Beckett be a FA ... that amazes me .. :-)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 720)

Postby pkarr5000 » Thu Aug 21, 2003 7:21 pm

that makes me pretty pissed too. josh is my favorite pitcher
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Madison » Fri Aug 22, 2003 12:27 am

Get Beckett.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Return to Baseball Leftovers