All this Bonds/Pujols talk...how about AL MVP? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

All this Bonds/Pujols talk...how about AL MVP?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

All this Bonds/Pujols talk...how about AL MVP?

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:05 pm

I heard a few people say that Giambi is deserving. Now admittedly I'm a Sox fan and all, but that's a lot of crap. Yes, he's come on and his HRs are high, yadda yadda. But I don't think you can award an MVP to someone who just starts playing in June or so.

I think it's between Ichiro, Boone, and Nomar.

I'd bet on Ichiro winning it, although I think Boone is more deserving. He's a great defensive player, and has been just carrying that team. Ichiro doesn't have enough power for my tastes.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:15 pm

As much as I don't like it, Boone is my leading candidate right now. Ichiro, Maggs, Arod, Nomar all still have a shot. I doubt that Giambi gets it unless he can get his average over .280. There are lots of guys that hit .260 with home runs.

It's a tough call right now because there are so many guys that could get very hot and make a big difference. On the flipside, any of them could go ice cold and take themselves out of the running.

It should be a little easier to make a call in a few weeks.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby pkarr5000 » Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:15 pm

garret anderson gets my vote. i love jason though and if he had done this all year, he could have been the mvp
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby wrveres » Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:15 pm

Do they give an award in the AL?

I thought it was just called "George's Shopping List" :-)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)

Re: All this Bonds/Pujols talk...how about AL MVP?

Postby DieHardCubbie » Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:18 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:I heard a few people say that Giambi is deserving. Now admittedly I'm a Sox fan and all, but that's a lot of crap. Yes, he's come on and his HRs are high, yadda yadda. But I don't think you can award an MVP to someone who just starts playing in June or so.

I'd bet on Ichiro winning it, although I think Boone is more deserving. He's a great defensive player, and has been just carrying that team. Ichiro doesn't have enough power for my tastes.

Did someone listen to ESPN radio today.... ;-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby pkarr5000 » Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:19 pm

the entire mlb is georgies shopping list
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby eftda » Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:23 pm

ICHRIO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jk. um..... i would have to vote Normar or Boone. Cant forget those sox
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: All this Bonds/Pujols talk...how about AL MVP?

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:32 pm

DieHardCubbie wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:I heard a few people say that Giambi is deserving. Now admittedly I'm a Sox fan and all, but that's a lot of crap. Yes, he's come on and his HRs are high, yadda yadda. But I don't think you can award an MVP to someone who just starts playing in June or so.

Did someone listen to ESPN radio today.... ;-)

Nope, never listen to ESPN radio. Did I mimic someone or something?

Actually, I was watching the Sox game and David Justice said his pick is Giambi. And--showing how little he actually paid attention--said that he's carried the Yankees all year. THEN, he had the gall to say that, unlike the Red Sox, who have Manny and Nomar, the Yankees only have Giambi. Right. The Yankees only have Giambi. That makes me sick.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:49 am

I think it is going to come down to the last month. If the ChiSox make the playoffs, Mags will get some consideration. Giambi will not be MVP when he is on team of all-stars and is batting under .270. I think it is down to Ichiro, Boone, Manny and Nomar and if either Boston or Seattle doesn't make the playoffs you can scratch two off the list. Right now I would vote for Boone. Ichiro is seriously lacking in HR and RBI, plus Nomar and Boone have both scored about the same amount of runs as him. Nomar is close but when you Boone's defense compared to Nomar in the field, Boone gets the nod.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 291)

Postby pilambp » Thu Aug 21, 2003 10:41 am

Nomar - He'll only make MVP if he rallies the Red Sox into the playoffs. The precense of Manny Ramirez in the lineup hurts him a bit, but if he pulls off some clutch hitting down the stretch (much like Tejada did for Oakland last year), He's a good a candidate as any.

Boone - My pick so far. Has provided a lot of power in that lineup and without his hits, Ichiro would be left stranded on second many a time. I don't think having Ichiro on his team hurts his chances, since they are two completely different types of hitters.

Ichiro - I think he stole the award from Boone two years ago. I don't think that he should get it this year either. He's very good, but without good hitters behind him in the lineup, he'd be stranded on base way too many times.

Giambi - He has too many good players on his team, and took too long of a slump to really be considered. I think that the Yankees, without Giambi, playing Johnson at first base all season would still be in contention. Take away any other guy on this list from their respective team, and that's not true.

Magglio - Needs to get hot and come close to his numbers from last year. Didn't really come alive until the All-Star break, and won't get any consideration unless the White Sox make the playoffs.
pilambp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers