Why is Coor's Field so good for hitters? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why is Coor's Field so good for hitters?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Arlo » Fri May 10, 2002 5:05 am

With all respect to rotoworld, I think they're jumping the gun here. While that difference in runs scored looks dramatic, keep in mind that the humidor has been used for less than 20 games.

Even yearly runs scored data for parks fluctuates wildly - Coors included; to truly analyze changing park effects, examining stats by decade makes more sense. Any effect observed in less than 20 games is far more likely due to the way individual players are performing than anything done with the ball. I think rotoworld's statement that the trend will probably continue is premature, to say the least, and isn't dealing with the statistics prperly. In a way, it's similar to saying Cameron will lead the majors in home runs after his 4 hr game. I certainly wouldn't endorse Rockies pitchers any more than I would have befor elearning of the humidor, although Thomson has shown some excellent stuff.

As to the possibility of pitcher injury, I don't see the humidor having any effect - a humidified ball will only make things easier on pitchers by allowing them a better grip. This should also be the primary effect of the "new" balls, with weight differences being negligible.

EugeneStyles raises a great point, though: could it be that Rockies pitchers in general might be more injury-prone, since they'll be subtly changing their deliveries all year, depending on whether they're at Coors or on the road? I haven't seen any stats here, and it may be too early to tell, but this also sounds like a possible explanation of why some Rockies pitchers perform badly on the road as well as at Coors: too many delivery modifications.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Matt » Fri May 10, 2002 2:45 pm

I heard last night that the major difference in the ball is that the cover is a little more moist from being in the humidor. This allows the pitchers to get a better grip and have more control on the ball. The fact that the hitting is below Mile High par is due to the pitchers control on the ball, not the way it carries in the air.(Best Damn Sports Show)
Matt

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Arlo » Fri May 10, 2002 3:04 pm

By the way, in the article Chicago mentions, a physicist is quoted as saying the ball would be negligibly lighter than without the humidor. What's up with that? Typo?

Humid air is lighter than dry air, but a humidorized baseball would be (slightly) heavier than a regular one...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers