best hitter for 3 year keeper? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

best hitter for 3 year keeper?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

best hitter for 3 year keeper?

Postby dundeeslugger » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:15 pm

Same as my previouis post of best pitcher
which one of these will contribute well next year and be a stud by year 2 or 3? This would be my 23rd round pick for next year in a 10 team 3 year keeper league.

B. Butler
B. Wood
H. Ramirez
J. Kubel
Shin-Soo-Choo
K. Morales
C. Burke
E. Encarnacion
H. Kendrick
R. Zimmerman
D. Dejesus
Brandon Phillips
L. Milledge
S. Drew
Chris Young
J. Guzman
A. Marte
dundeeslugger
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:30 am

Several good options there, but the best bat is Billy Butler. He can flat out hit the ball, the only problem with him will be defensively. If all you are looking for is offense, then Butler is your pick.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dundeeslugger » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:27 am

When do you think Butler will be called up? Will he have a spot in the Royals lineup by the beginning of next year? Or even by the all-star break?
dundeeslugger
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:18 am

Definitely Butler.

As for his ETA here's everything I've heard. I don't have links for any of this...a lot of it I got from John Sickels when he's hosted Fantasy Focus on XM Radio and a few others from Rotowire player updates.

1) Dayton Moore has basically stated that he does not want to rush prospects. (Seen and heard this multiple times)
2) Dayton Moore/KC Royals brass (can't remember which one) stated that neither Gordon nor Butler would skip AAA. (Positive that this one was reported though I can't remember where)
3) The Royals don't want arbitration to run out on both Gordon and Butler at the same time and will therefore space out their call-ups (this one's sketchier...I can't remember where I heard it and have only seen it reported one time)

Based on these statements and also from listening to John Sickels talk about Gordon recently I'm not convinced that Gordon will be the starting third baseman in 2007. Teahan's playing well lately, the team wants to take it slowly with their prospects and they specifically stated they didn't want them to skip a level. I can also understand the reasoning behind #3 (though again I'm not positive that the source on that one was reliable). I know that #1 and #2 are true. If #3 is also true then Butler may be a 2008 call-up. I could definitely see Gordon being an ASB call-up in 2007 and Butler a 2008 opening day starter.

Personally I think that KC's being overly cautious with Gordon. Butler's another story...he's still young (20). But Gordon's two years older, a polished college hitter and posting a .300/.400/.500 line so far this year. I'd prefer to see Gordon as the opening day starter in 2007 and Butler in 2008 from an organizational standpoint. Promote Gordon to AAA right now and give him until September call-ups at the AAA level. Like I mentioned, he's a polished college player and doesn't need those full seasons at each level.

Butler I'd like to see given more time to develop...he's young and I worry more about his emotional growth than his bat or defense. Give him some more time out of the spotlight (not that KC's spotlight is that bright or anything but still...) to grow both as a person and as a ball player and then have him start in 2008. That spaces out the arbitration for these two young players, gets Gordon up for 2007 (either at third base or in the outfield depending on how they feel about Teahan...though they REALLY need to make up their mind about that soon to give Gordon the time to adjust to the outfield if they're going to move him) and gives Butler the time to mature both physically and emotionally before coming up to the majors.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby dundeeslugger » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:36 am

The Loveable Losers wrote:Definitely Butler.

As for his ETA here's everything I've heard. I don't have links for any of this...a lot of it I got from John Sickels when he's hosted Fantasy Focus on XM Radio and a few others from Rotowire player updates.

1) Dayton Moore has basically stated that he does not want to rush prospects. (Seen and heard this multiple times)
2) Dayton Moore/KC Royals brass (can't remember which one) stated that neither Gordon nor Butler would skip AAA. (Positive that this one was reported though I can't remember where)
3) The Royals don't want arbitration to run out on both Gordon and Butler at the same time and will therefore space out their call-ups (this one's sketchier...I can't remember where I heard it and have only seen it reported one time)

Based on these statements and also from listening to John Sickels talk about Gordon recently I'm not convinced that Gordon will be the starting third baseman in 2007. Teahan's playing well lately, the team wants to take it slowly with their prospects and they specifically stated they didn't want them to skip a level. I can also understand the reasoning behind #3 (though again I'm not positive that the source on that one was reliable). I know that #1 and #2 are true. If #3 is also true then Butler may be a 2008 call-up. I could definitely see Gordon being an ASB call-up in 2007 and Butler a 2008 opening day starter.

Personally I think that KC's being overly cautious with Gordon. Butler's another story...he's still young (20). But Gordon's two years older, a polished college hitter and posting a .300/.400/.500 line so far this year. I'd prefer to see Gordon as the opening day starter in 2007 and Butler in 2008 from an organizational standpoint. Promote Gordon to AAA right now and give him until September call-ups at the AAA level. Like I mentioned, he's a polished college player and doesn't need those full seasons at each level.

Butler I'd like to see given more time to develop...he's young and I worry more about his emotional growth than his bat or defense. Give him some more time out of the spotlight (not that KC's spotlight is that bright or anything but still...) to grow both as a person and as a ball player and then have him start in 2008. That spaces out the arbitration for these two young players, gets Gordon up for 2007 (either at third base or in the outfield depending on how they feel about Teahan...though they REALLY need to make up their mind about that soon to give Gordon the time to adjust to the outfield if they're going to move him) and gives Butler the time to mature both physically and emotionally before coming up to the majors.

OK that made no sense what so ever. You told me that Butler is the best pick but then you basically give me all these reasons why he will probably not be called up soon.
dundeeslugger
General Manager
General Manager

Postby theclefe » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:46 am

dundeeslugger wrote:
The Loveable Losers wrote:Definitely Butler.

OK that made no sense what so ever. You told me that Butler is the best pick but then you basically give me all these reasons why he will probably not be called up soon.

I made better sense than asking about who to pick in the 23rd round of next years draft.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:48 am

dundeeslugger wrote:OK that made no sense what so ever. You told me that Butler is the best pick but then you basically give me all these reasons why he will probably not be called up soon.

Your original question was "which one of these will contribute well next year and be a stud by year 2 or 3?".

I'm saying that I feel Butler shouldn't be called up until 2008. The organization will probably call him up some time later in 2007 which will allow him to contribute well next year. He will be a stud pretty much from day 1 so that fits there as well. Also, he's such a great hitter that given your criteria I'd still take him above the rest of the list even if you got nothing out of him until year 2 and 3...his production in 2008 and 2009 project to be the best of the list that you posted by a pretty good margin.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:53 pm

2 or 3 yrs isnt really that far from now...you'd be banking on alot taking the guys who arent expected up until 2008. i might go hanley ramirez with the lack of ss options or if stephen drew comes up this year as well...

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dundeeslugger » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:00 pm

I was thinking S. Drew or B. Wood as well. Which one of these 2 would most likeley be starting next year?
dundeeslugger
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:07 pm

dundeeslugger wrote:I was thinking S. Drew or B. Wood as well. Which one of these 2 would most likeley be starting next year?

There's talk of Drew possibly being up this year with Counsell struggling so if you're looking for the best guy with an immediate ETA I'd go with Drew.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball