best pitcher for 3 year keeper - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

best pitcher for 3 year keeper

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

best pitcher for 3 year keeper

Postby dundeeslugger » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:11 pm

which of these guys is the best bet to contribute great stats for next year but possibly be studs in a couple years?

H. Bailey
Billingsley
C. James
P. Hughes
Gorzelanny
Garza
Gallardo
dundeeslugger
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: best pitcher for 3 year keeper

Postby Members Only Jackets » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:44 pm

dundeeslugger wrote:which of these guys is the best bet to contribute great stats for next year but possibly be studs in a couple years?

H. Bailey
Billingsley
C. James
P. Hughes
Gorzelanny
Garza
Gallardo

There will be diff opinions obviousl, but after the research I've done I'd rank them:

-Homer Bailey --huge ceiling. Top of line Ace stuff
-P Hughes -- Ace stuff. Close to Bailey IMO (some say best pitcher in minors)
-Garza-Great stuff at a good AGE...He'll be on the Minn staff next year--and do well IMO.
Gallardo--Huge leap this year! Bext prospect Brewers have...looks like he's dominating in AA after OWNING A. I think he'll get a call in Sept and be in the rotation in 07.

Billingsly--everyone says he has ACE, great stuff but something tells me he was overrated a bit. Always had command issues and never really put up great numbers in minors. Me personally, after what I've seen, I'd rather have the above prospects....I know some will disagree....

don't know much about other 2....but James looks solid.
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 2)

Postby TurdFerguson » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:13 pm

I would rank them 1a. Billingsley 1b. Bailey 2 Garza 3 Hughes 4 Gillardo . I think Billingsley and Bailey are pretty much equal.James and Grozelanny are mid tier
TurdFerguson
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby dundeeslugger » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:16 pm

I would hope that Bailey does better then Billingsley when called up as Billingsley has sucked
dundeeslugger
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby jnormy » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:15 pm

dundeeslugger wrote:I would hope that Bailey does better then Billingsley when called up as Billingsley has sucked

Frankly, I'm amazed at how many people are down on Billingsley so quickly after such a small sample size in the majors. Pop quiz: whose first-year major league stats are these:

30 G, 2 W, 3 L; 102 H, 54 BB, and 64 K in 86 IP; .302 BAA, 6.49 ERA, 1.81 WHIP...

That's Johan Santana's rookie year in 2000. Give Billingsley a break, it's WAY early.
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby Members Only Jackets » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:23 pm

jnormy - interesting..

I agree that I may be a lil down on Chad..and yeah, it's early and he could very well be the best of the bunch...just my opinion.
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby jnormy » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:29 pm

Members Only Jackets wrote:jnormy - interesting..

I agree that I may be a lil down on Chad..and yeah, it's early and he could very well be the best of the bunch...just my opinion.

That's what the Cafe's all about, expressing opinions. ;-D Actually, I thought your post was very informative... I'm just reacting in general to a lot of what I've seen written about Billingsley since he's been called up. I guess you're right to say that he's overrated if people were expecting him to completely dominate right away. Few young pitchers do that right out of the gate.
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby Members Only Jackets » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:51 am

I'm curious tho....why the hype w/ Chad...I mean, he's never posted great numbers in the minors...For me, baseball America and most scouts tabbed him as a future ace so I'm going by that. Is it his build? He looks the part I suppose...
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby hybrid » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:12 am

Members Only Jackets wrote:I'm curious tho....why the hype w/ Chad...I mean, he's never posted great numbers in the minors...For me, baseball America and most scouts tabbed him as a future ace so I'm going by that. Is it his build? He looks the part I suppose...

I'm not sure how you can say he has never posted great numbers. When he was 18/19 he skipped Low A and posted a 2.38 ERA in High A and 2.98 in AA w/ a hit rate under 6 P/9 and K'ing over 10 P/9. Next season in AA he corrected his command issues and if not for Delmon Youngs team hitting him hard a few outings he would of had a mid 2 ERA. He is tabbed a future ace for many reasons, it's not just build or one other thing.

Honestly it's a bit annoying due to a rough start how people get on prospects. I'd expect the same thing to Felix this year if he didn't perform great last year. A few struggles do not mean it so scouts, etc. were wrong, it just takes some time in most all cases.

About the original thread, mainly Bills, Hughes, and Homer to me have the potential to be that good quickly.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:27 am

Billingsley--I think he is absolutely the best one of the bunch.
Hughes
Bailey
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball