From worst to first - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

From worst to first

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

From worst to first

Postby Ranger Roto » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:02 pm

I had one of the worst drafts I've ever had and as a result, I've been in 9th place in my 10 team league for a while. I've been relentless with trades, trade offers, and monitering the WW like a hawk.

I'm still one or two really good starters from being comfortable, but my lineup is starting to climb back into the middle of the pack. I'm still trying to sell high on Ibanez and Crede to solidify my outfield. I've tried to buy low as much as possible in the hopes that people will get hot and vault me into the 4th-5th place range, where I can manage further and make a final run.

Take a look, then and now.

THEN

C - Barajas
1B - Helton
2B - R Belliard
3B - Ramirez
SS - Lugo
OF - Crawford
OF - Abreu
OF - Beltran
Util - Adrian Beltre
BN - Garret Anderson
BN - G Jenkins
BN - C Shelton

SP - Harden
SP - D Davis
SP - Schmidt
SP - Blanton
SP - Hudson
SP - K Escobar

RP - Ryan
RP - Gordon
RP - F Cordero

NOW

C - McCann
1B - Ortiz
2B - Figgins
3B - Ramirez
SS - M Young
OF - Crawford
OF - Pierre
OF - Ibanez
Util - Huff
BN - B Phillips
BN - J Crede
BN - Swisher
BN - Kent

SP - Webb
SP - Willis
SP - Lowe
SP - Blanton
SP - Pettitte

RP - Ryan
RP - Dempster
RP - Putz

DL - Sheets
Ranger Roto
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby garretterik » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:15 am

WOW nicely done with the trades. ;-D
You should climb back nicely. OK with Pierre, Crawford and Figgins that might be a bit of an overkill. Maybe you could sell someone on Pierre being a second half performer (he is already starting to heat up) and get some pop back in your OF. Good idea trying to use Crede or Ibanez as well. OTher than than stay put. Oh and tell me how to pull of trades like that.
Here is my link:
http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/v ... 75#1778775
garretterik Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 73)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby K Lump » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:28 am

VERY nicely done indeed. How'd you get Ortiz? And Webb Lowe and Willis?

I'd trade Pettitte away unless the 'stros heat up because the Astros arent giving much run support for their pitchers...as shown by Clemens 1-2 record, and Oswalts record. Look for Lackey, Bonderman, Lester, and stash away Maroth if you can.

Your outfield still needs some work in my opinion...and from what you've done so far...theres gotta be some way you can get some big bats in that outfield.
K Lump
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Serminator » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:30 am

I agree! Nice improvements.

Your pitching is probably a little weaker -- and maybe you could adress that -- but sounds to me like you're doing well.

Keep it up.

Sounds like we should be taking advice from YOU!

Speaking of...

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=225860
"Come with me, if you want to live."
Serminator
College Coach
College Coach

Location: somewhere on the road to Elysium, with my pockets full of diamonds

Postby Ranger Roto » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:04 am

Thanks for the feedback guys. These were the trades:

Trade #1

In May I traded Beltran and Schmidt to get Webb and Sheets. This was while Beltran was missing games with his foot injury and before Sheets got hurt. It really hurt to see Beltran go once he got hot, but Webb has anchored a weak staff and hopefully Sheets will come back strong.

Trade #2

Last month I traded Bobby Abreu, Tom Gordon, and Mike Lowell for David Ortiz, Dontrell Willis, and Micheal Young. It was a trade involving the two last place teams. He really needed the SB's and saves, which is why he accepted it I guess. This was the main one that turned things around.

Trade #3

After acquiring Young, I couldn't find playing time for Lugo and I was thin in the OF, so I traded Lugo straight up for Juan Pierre before Pierre started his mini-tear.

Trade #4

This trade was done mostly to help me acquire a big bat and/or SP later this year. I have up Helton and Hudson to get Figgins and Swisher. It could have been Hudson for Figgins if I had pulled the trigger sooner. I don't really want Swisher, but maybe he will get hot. Figgins or Pierre will be used in a trade at some point.

There are a ton of mediocre to decent SP's on the FA list that I could ride out in spot starts and hot streaks if I get lucky, but I still need one more quality guy. One more solid bat in the OF, and I will be satisfied.

(At least until the trade deadline)
Ranger Roto
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Mreater71 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:10 am

Like everybody else said, we should be hearing ur advise. Those were some excellent moves.

If u want to go after another strong batter in the OF, u could package a trade to get a M. Ramirez, L. Berkman (who positions of 1B and OF), or Ichiro. Or possibly do a straight up trade for Dye (I'm liking the way he has been performing). I believe u could come up with some good trade proposals, I mean look what u had done so far.

Definately see u improving in the rankings ;-D
Mreater71
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Ranger Roto » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:02 pm

The Berkman owner traded Chris Carpenter to get him earlier this season, so it will be tough for me to match that. The same owner also has Teixera and I have been trying for weeks to get him. First offering Helton and another good hitter for him, then to offering a good OF'er and change so he could move Berkman to 1B, offering a good SP and a 1B. He just won't give up on him. This is the main owner looking to deal for Figgins and Pierre, but he already has a ton of base stealers on his team and he is also the closest owner above me in the same category. I can pass him in steals with the players I have and gain a couple points, but if I can get the OF'er I want, I can make up those elsewhere.

The owner with Manny is the guy I traded Beltran too and I can't offer him much of anything he doesn't have, with the exception of maybe some SB's, but it may not be enough to get the calibur of player I want.

There is an owner that has Vlad (won't trade), Carlos Lee, Jermaine Dye, and Pat Burrell. I'm trying to come up with something for Lee, but would settle for Dye, though I may have to wait until Dye cools down for him to deal him. Worst comes to worst, I could try to get Burrell cheap and hope he picks it up soon.

Again, I appreciate the feedback. I offer advice here where I can, though I don't play many other formats other than standard roto, so I can't comment much on weekly lineup leagues, H2H, or points leagues.
Ranger Roto
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby baseballstud » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:01 pm

pitching is decent could use one more starter trade blanton and petite in a package because of petites struggles that have been all season and he doesnt show signs of breaking out of them. you could use a little more power in the outfield. crawford hits hrs but hes not gonna hit 30 40 for you. the other 2 in pierre and figgins will get you not much power at all seeing that juan pierre only has 13 career hrs you may want to trade swisher and either figgins or pierre for even more power then swisher can offer.
baseballstud
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 37)

Postby Rohan » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:46 am

Ranger Roto wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys. These were the trades:

Trade #1

In May I traded Beltran and Schmidt to get Webb and Sheets. This was while Beltran was missing games with his foot injury and before Sheets got hurt. It really hurt to see Beltran go once he got hot, but Webb has anchored a weak staff and hopefully Sheets will come back strong.

Trade #2

Last month I traded Bobby Abreu, Tom Gordon, and Mike Lowell for David Ortiz, Dontrell Willis, and Micheal Young. It was a trade involving the two last place teams. He really needed the SB's and saves, which is why he accepted it I guess. This was the main one that turned things around.

Trade #3

After acquiring Young, I couldn't find playing time for Lugo and I was thin in the OF, so I traded Lugo straight up for Juan Pierre before Pierre started his mini-tear.

Trade #4

This trade was done mostly to help me acquire a big bat and/or SP later this year. I have up Helton and Hudson to get Figgins and Swisher. It could have been Hudson for Figgins if I had pulled the trigger sooner. I don't really want Swisher, but maybe he will get hot. Figgins or Pierre will be used in a trade at some point.

There are a ton of mediocre to decent SP's on the FA list that I could ride out in spot starts and hot streaks if I get lucky, but I still need one more quality guy. One more solid bat in the OF, and I will be satisfied.

(At least until the trade deadline)

Any time you can receive a first AND second round pick.. (Ortiz and Young) for Abreau, who's played badly all season long, and an overated closer, helps your team.. wish I was in your league.
Rohan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team