After a huge Revamp how am I looking? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

After a huge Revamp how am I looking?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

After a huge Revamp how am I looking?

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:10 pm

14 team 5x5 h2h keeper league (keep 6)

Currently in 7th place (top 6 make playoffs) but there's little difference in the standings in the 3-8 slots and I just finished the revamp today (was in a rebuilding year and not trying to win up to this point).

C J. Estrada (Ari - C)
1B A. Pujols (StL - 1B)
2B C. Utley (Phi - 1B,2B)
3B J. Crede (CWS - 3B)
SS Jh. Peralta (Cle - SS)
OF C. Crawford (TB - OF)
OF C. Granderson (Det - OF)
OF B. Giles (SD - OF)
Util K. Youkilis (Bos - 1B,3B)
BN F. Thomas (Oak - Util) (This is my spot starter/offday guy slot)

SP S. Kazmir (TB - SP)
SP J. Bonderman (Det - SP)
RP T. Saito (LAD - RP)
RP A. Benítez (SF - RP)
P E. Guardado (Cin - RP)
P B. Meadows (TB - RP)
P K. Ray (Atl - RP)
BN B. Penny (LAD - SP)
BN T. Glavine (NYM - SP)
BN J. Vázquez (CWS - SP)
BN V. Padilla (Tex - SP)

Farm Team (can call these guys up at any point and send them down as well): A. Gordon (KC - 3B), J. Upton (Ari - OF), L. Milledge (NYM - OF), J. Sowers (Cle - SP), T. Tulowitzki (Col - SS), J. Saltalamacchia (Atl - C), D. Matsuzaka (Seibu - SP)

I was punting saves, wins and k's up to this point in the season and yet still managed to come out with a winning record up through this point. My only SP was Chris Carpenter and I did not have a closer. Through a series of trades and FA pickups I've gotten to the point I am now - a 6 man rotation of Kazmir, Bonderman, Penny, Glavine, Vazquez and Padilla with a slot open to spot start and a guaranteed spot-starter in Sowers any time I want to pick him up for a start. I also have 5 closers of varying stability in Saito, Benetiz, Guardado, Meadows and K. Ray. My offense has been very good all year and even though it got its butt kicked this past week it still posted pretty solid numbers.

I still have an outstanding draft for next year despite the fact that I've traded some picks to get to this point. I currently have the following draft (round/# of picks):
First: 1, Second: 3, Third: 2, Fourth: 1, Fifth: 1, Seventh: 2, Eighth: 1, Tenth: 1, Twelfth: 1, Fourteenth: 1, Fifteenth: 1
So basically I'm missing a 6th, 9th, 11th and 13th and have 2 extra 2nd rounders, an extra 3rd and an extra 7th.

I'm still in the mode of wanting to play for next year. Between Alex Gordon, Troy Tulowitzki, Lastings Milledge and Daisuke Matsuzaka all being likely opening day starters in 2007, my draft being the best in the league and my keepers being perfect for our change from k's to k/9 next year (I have Pujols, Utley and Crawford to anchor my offense and Kazmir, Bonderman and Penny as keepers for pitching) I feel like I should have a very good chance at taking it all in 2007.

However, I think that I have a team that should be able to do a lot of damage now and almost assuredly make the playoffs this year. And once you make the playoffs in a h2h league anything can happen. So I guess I have two questions:
1) Would you be willing to spend any more draft picks to make this team better? I could almost assuredly get Clemens for Padilla and a 4th round pick and may even be able to get him for a 5th round pick. I could also get Sheets who (if healthy) would make an outstanding keeper for a 1st round pick. I could also look into improving my offense...Granderson and especially Giles are a bit weak as far as what they've been giving me this year.
2) What type of tweaks would you want to make if any?
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:25 pm

Your minors are insane. 8-o

I would think this team would make a real hard push at making and advancing in the playoffs this season. Not sure I'd sacrafice for this season, as I don't think it's a strong enough team to feel certain enough it'd be worth it. Meanwhile, after your draft next year, you ought to be the odds on favorite to take the title.

I may try and sell Glavine at this point, depending on your league's impression of him. I'd also try and move Vazquez, if somebody likes his Wins. Also try shopping Crede, if you can get a better 3B keeper in some sort of package.

Nice job on the speedy rebuild. ;-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby bigken117 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:30 pm

That's a quality team LL. You should have no trouble doing some damage in the playoffs.

I would want to look for a better 6th keeper than Bonderman or Penny, and preferably a bat. I'd look at 3B, SS, and OF in particular.

I would defintiely look into that Clemens deal. Padilla and a pick that would wind up being something like 150th after keepers gets a thumbs up from me ;-D

I have little faith that Sheets can stay healthy and would not make that trade.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby jedidave77 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:35 pm

I agree with the Glavine call, that was going to be my suggestion. Maybe Glavine for Clemens straight up instead of Padilla? I think with that superb minor league situation and your draft picks, you should not only challenge next year but probably 3 or 4 years. I wouldn't mortgage anything else really. I think Crede is okay, but perhaps upgrade slightly in the OF by offering the guys you said, Granderson or Giles and a lower pick for something a little more solid, like Torii Hunter or something? Just an idea. I do think you should be able to move up a spot to make the playoffs. Good luck.
jedidave77
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:46 pm

bigh0rt wrote:I may try and sell Glavine at this point, depending on your league's impression of him. I'd also try and move Vazquez, if somebody likes his Wins.

I doubt I can get anything out of Glavine or Vazquez. They're basically the best SP's I could get and at this point I need some warm bodies that are at least better than the FA garbage out there. The nice thing about both of them is that even if they don't rebound from where they've both been the last few starts at least they give me a better than average shot at a win just by virtue of the run support they get. I got Glavine very cheaply (downgraded a 7th round pick to a 12th) and got Vazquez in a massive deal that also brought me Saito and Peralta but saw me lose Jimmy Rollins. I just had a bad feeling about Rollins as a keeper and with the chance that Tulo might start next year I figured that deal was the perfect one to turn to move him.

Not that I wouldn't love to flip Glavine or Vazquez for something...I definitely wouldn't mind that at all. But when the best FA pitcher is probably Ohka at this point Glavine and Vazquez both look really good and the only way I'd get an upgrade to them would be to deal away some picks to do it.

bigh0rt wrote:Also try shopping Crede, if you can get a better 3B keeper in some sort of package.

I don't understand why...maybe it's just the track record...but I couldn't get any bites on Crede when I was trying to sell him off for picks next year. I think I may try again though now that I have 5 closers and see what a closer + Crede (and maybe a pick as well to spice things up) could get me at the hot corner. I'm not really looking for a long-term keeper for the 6th slot though because Alex Gordon will most likely be my 6th keeper going into the 2008 season (Pujols, Utley, Gordon, Crawford, Kazmir and Bonderman as my six keepers ;-D ). That's why I was so frustrated when I lost out on the bidding to get Curt Schilling - he would have been perfect to keep for 2007 and then let go in 2008 and he would have been a better upgrade that Brad Penny to my pitching staff as well.

bigh0rt wrote:I would think this team would make a real hard push at making and advancing in the playoffs this season. Not sure I'd sacrafice for this season, as I don't think it's a strong enough team to feel certain enough it'd be worth it.

Yeah, that's my feeling as well. I've weakened my draft next year a little bit since I started this entire process. Gave up a 2nd for Bonderman and a 14th, a 12th and a 3rd for Penny and a 12th and a 7th for Glavine and a 12th but also swung some deals to bring back picks as well in the flurry of moves so really the only depth I've lost is the 2nd and 3rd that dropped to a 12th and 14th in the Bonderman and Penny deals...everything else stayed about the same (I think one of my 7th dropped to an 8th and my 11th actually climbed to a 10th). That's why I've been really hesitant to go higher than a 5th rounder on Clemens.

The big issue for me surrounds Sheets. If he's healthy then giving up my 1st round pick for him would look like pocket change next year. With k/9 as a category a rotation that would start with Kazmir, Bonderman, Sheets, Matsuzaka and Sowers BEFORE I DRAFT A SINGLE PLAYER would be absolutely frightening. But to give up a first round pick on that kind of a gamble when I've got the safe keeper in Penny available...I just don't know there. On the plus side we actually keep 8 until next February so I'd have at least until then to decide between Sheets or Penny if I made that deal. I have to admit it's tempting to take the chance on Sheets.

bigh0rt wrote:Your minors are insane.

Would it make it even more amazing if I told you I already dealt Howie Kendrick away for picks next year and I actually had Andy LaRoche and got him as part of a larger package that brought me Sowers? ;) Oh...and this was our inaugural year for our farm teams...I had a few extra draft picks in the prospect draft than the rest of the teams but most of those came from the end of round 2 on. :D
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:53 pm

bigken117 wrote:I would want to look for a better 6th keeper than Bonderman

You won't convince me there...I'm drunk on the Bonderman kool-aid. ;) He's my #5 keeper and I see him developing into a guy that can put up 2004/2005 Carpenter-like numbers year-in and year-out for the next 10 years or so.

As for dealing Penny for another bat I would definitely look into doing that...but that would have to be after the season. I can't afford to weaken my SP if I'm going to compete this year. Also, with Gordon and Tulo very likely on the starting roster next year I don't want to tie up my 3b or ss positions (which is why I dealt Rollins recently and Rolen much earlier in the year). However, if I could get a solid bat in the outfield for Penny after the playoffs are over I'd be thrilled...Penny's just not that awe-inspiring as a 6th keeper and with Matsuzaka and Sowers both on my farm team I'll already have 4 SP's going in to next year.
Last edited by The Loveable Losers on Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:56 pm

jedidave77 wrote:Maybe Glavine for Clemens straight up instead of Padilla?

I doubt he'd make the deal straight-up there but I think you may be on to something here. Glavine probably has enough trade value where I might be able to get a deal done here with a lesser pick than he's balking on with Padilla.

jedidave77 wrote:but perhaps upgrade slightly in the OF by offering the guys you said, Granderson or Giles and a lower pick for something a little more solid, like Torii Hunter or something? Just an idea.

Yep, I'm trying a deal like that right now...trying to deal Peralta, Giles and K. Ray along with my 8th round pick for Lugo and Kearns. Lugo and Kearns aren't going to set the world on fire but at least they're not glaciers like Peralta and Giles have been. Losing the 8th round pick isn't going to kill me and getting rid of K. Ray is almost a blessing.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:48 pm

I don't have much to add, except that is a great looking team for the future. I would love to upgrade on Penny as my 6th keeper, but not to the point where in 07 when Gordon becomes the man at 3b, that you have a huge dilemna with an extra keeper. I think one more solid arm would give you a run in the playoffs, especially if one of the Peralta, Giles, Granderson trio can turn it on again. I would have absolutely no problem with Bonderman as a 5th keeper in any league at all. I would personally stay away from Sheets but go after Clemens instead.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:30 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:I don't have much to add, except that is a great looking team for the future. I would love to upgrade on Penny as my 6th keeper, but not to the point where in 07 when Gordon becomes the man at 3b, that you have a huge dilemna with an extra keeper.

Yeah, that's a big reason why I've dealt away Rolen and Rollins so far this year. Gordon is the real deal and a legitimate keeper...depending on how fast he develops he may be my 3rd best player on my team by 2008. That's also why losing out on Schilling REALLY chapped my rear end...he would have been the perfect keeper that I could let go after next year with no regrets.

raiders_umpire wrote:I think one more solid arm would give you a run in the playoffs, especially if one of the Peralta, Giles, Granderson trio can turn it on again. I would have absolutely no problem with Bonderman as a 5th keeper in any league at all. I would personally stay away from Sheets but go after Clemens instead.

One thing to add now...I just swung a deal about a half hour ago and it's a doozy. I shipped out Peralta and K. Ray along with an 8th round pick to get Lugo and Dempster with a 12th round pick. Dempster's not guaranteed to keep the job but he's got a much better skill set than Ray. Lugo on the other hand has played a TON better than Peralta this year and gives me back most of the speed I lost with Rollins. I may not even lose in the power category given that Lugo gets a LOT more plate appearances than Peralta now that Peralta is hitting 7th again.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:16 pm

An update for anyone that's interested...I landed Roger Clemens for a 5th round pick (getting a 13th back in return). You can see the current roster here but the SP now is Kazmir, Bonderman, Penny, Clemens, Vazquez, Glavine and Padilla with Eaton on the DL and Sowers on my farm team if I needed him. Not bad for a team that started the year with Carpenter as it's only SP. I also have Saito, Benitez, Dempster, Guardado and Meadows as closers after starting the year with no closers as well.

The best part is that while my draft is a bit weaker it's not as bad of a downgrade as you'd think. I sent out a 2nd for Bonderman, a 3rd for Penny, a 5th for Clemens and a 7th for Glavine. However I managed to make several other deals (also viewable with the link above) to bring picks back in my direction. I went from 8 picks in the first 3 rounds and 13 picks in the first 7 rounds to 6 picks in the first 3 rounds and 10 picks in the first 7 rounds. Obviously that's a downgrade but it's still an outstanding draft.

Given the depth of my farm team I might not even need all of those picks next year anyways...I'm most likely going to have only 3 hitting positions open next year and 5 SP already rostered before the draft. I'd really only need 2 or 3 more SP's and 3 closers to go with the 3 hitters so that means only 9 or so of my picks will even be starting for me...the other 6 picks will be dropped to make room for my farm guys coming up or will be a slot with which I pick up spot starters.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team