Freddy Sanchez in the Second Half? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Freddy Sanchez in the Second Half?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Freddy Sanchez in the Second Half?

Postby d18Mike » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:30 pm

No one expected Sanchez to hit .360 during the first half of the year. And let's face it, he likely won't continue at this torrid clip throughout the second half.

But how much of a fluke was/is he? What do people see for the remainder of the year?

I'm really in the hole on BA and love his position flexibility. Trying to get an objective read before trying to pick him up cheaply.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J.C.Fighter » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:27 pm

I think he can continue because he has a nice short compact swing

and he hits all over the field..
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby KSJayhawk » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:33 pm

Sanchez is a high contract hitter (92%) who has been benefitting from an elevated hit rate (38%) for the first half of the season. His BA is bound to come down somewhat, but he owns the skills to have some nice stats for the second half. I see him hitting around .330 for the second half, which would be nice on any fantasy team.
KSJayhawk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Freddy Sanchez in the Second Half?

Postby namor720 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:37 pm

d18Mike wrote:No one expected Sanchez to hit .360 during the first half of the year. And let's face it, he likely won't continue at this torrid clip throughout the second half.

But how much of a fluke was/is he? What do people see for the remainder of the year?

I'm really in the hole on BA and love his position flexibility. Trying to get an objective read before trying to pick him up cheaply.

My take on Freddy Sanchez is that although I do not see him batting .360 the second half he is a legitimate .300 hitter and has shown so every level in the minors and last year. Last year he had 450 ab's, the most in his career and hit .290 and this is his first year that hewas a fixture in the line up. Look at his current numbers at the break and consider that he is a contact hitter with 10-12 HR power, who DIDNT become a regular this year until May 2nd and came off the bench for 16 games in April. His numbers in regards to RBI and Hits should be higher if you prorate his numbers. He is in his prime at 29 years old, which is relatively his prime because it is his second season actually getting at bats. He was always a highly regarded prospect in the sox system, but because he has no power and mediocre speed he doesnt get anyone excited. He is an exceptional contact hitter and is hungry and motivated. I see Freddy ending the season Batting .325 9 HR and 88 rbi with high 90's in runs scored. Which means he should bat .300 for the second half. He could do slightly better if they keep him in the 3 hole and stop jerking him around. Not bad for a waiver wire pick up.
namor720
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby johnsamo » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:37 pm

I haven't seen him play, but I assumed at first this was a fluke hot streak, but it's lasted so long it seems likely to me that he really is a high average hitter. Whether this is his base or it drops a bit I don't know, but I don't think he's a 290 hitter on a honeymoon.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby powenM » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:59 pm

[/quote]

I see Freddy ending the season Batting .325 9 HR and 88 rbi with high 90's in runs scored. Which means he should bat .300 for the second half. He could do slightly better if they keep him in the 3 hole and stop jerking him around. Not bad for a waiver wire pick up.[/quote]

Nah i dont agree I think he'll still end up hitting in the low .300s but 90rs & 88rbis r a tad high for him
Just traded BButler, BWood & JLoney for Mark Teixeira, Ryan Theriot & Renyel Pinto in a DYNASTY LEAGUE. Big gamble I know!
powenM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby namor720 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:11 pm

powenM wrote:

I see Freddy ending the season Batting .325 9 HR and 88 rbi with high 90's in runs scored. Which means he should bat .300 for the second half. He could do slightly better if they keep him in the 3 hole and stop jerking him around. Not bad for a waiver wire pick up.[/quote]

Nah i dont agree I think he'll still end up hitting in the low .300s but 90rs & 88rbis r a tad high for him[/quote]

Sound a bit high because we are talking about Freddy The Finger Sanchez, and the little guy gets no respect...but take into consideration he is short about 60 ab's the first half compared to starters. He did not become a regular until May 2nd and then the following month he was hitting 7th in the line up. Regardless of that , he has 49 rbi and 50 runs at the break. It appears he is going to bat no lower than 5th the rest of the way, based on where he has been batting the last 3 weeks. If Freddy bats .325 end of the year, means he bats around .290 the rest of the way. .290 is about average for him based on his entire career. If The Finger bats 2nd or 5th for the majority of the remainder of the season, he gets those numbers or exceeds them slightly.
namor720
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mikhayl » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:29 pm

namor720 wrote:My take on Freddy Sanchez is that although I do not see him batting .360 the second half he is a legitimate .300 hitter and has shown so every level in the minors and last year. Last year he had 450 ab's, the most in his career and hit .290 and this is his first year that hewas a fixture in the line up. Look at his current numbers at the break and consider that he is a contact hitter with 10-12 HR power, who DIDNT become a regular this year until May 2nd and came off the bench for 16 games in April. His numbers in regards to RBI and Hits should be higher if you prorate his numbers. He is in his prime at 29 years old, which is relatively his prime because it is his second season actually getting at bats. He was always a highly regarded prospect in the sox system, but because he has no power and mediocre speed he doesnt get anyone excited. He is an exceptional contact hitter and is hungry and motivated. I see Freddy ending the season Batting .325 9 HR and 88 rbi with high 90's in runs scored. Which means he should bat .300 for the second half. He could do slightly better if they keep him in the 3 hole and stop jerking him around. Not bad for a waiver wire pick up.

Going forward is he a Michael Young lite?
Let's go O's. Let's go Mets.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby namor720 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:14 pm

mikhayl wrote:
namor720 wrote:My take on Freddy Sanchez is that although I do not see him batting .360 the second half he is a legitimate .300 hitter and has shown so every level in the minors and last year. Last year he had 450 ab's, the most in his career and hit .290 and this is his first year that hewas a fixture in the line up. Look at his current numbers at the break and consider that he is a contact hitter with 10-12 HR power, who DIDNT become a regular this year until May 2nd and came off the bench for 16 games in April. His numbers in regards to RBI and Hits should be higher if you prorate his numbers. He is in his prime at 29 years old, which is relatively his prime because it is his second season actually getting at bats. He was always a highly regarded prospect in the sox system, but because he has no power and mediocre speed he doesnt get anyone excited. He is an exceptional contact hitter and is hungry and motivated. I see Freddy ending the season Batting .325 9 HR and 88 rbi with high 90's in runs scored. Which means he should bat .300 for the second half. He could do slightly better if they keep him in the 3 hole and stop jerking him around. Not bad for a waiver wire pick up.

Going forward is he a Michael Young lite?

you can call him Michael Young lite, since Young doesnt steal a lick anymore . If you look at their numbers this year, Freddy The Finger isnt that far off....

Freddy 5HR - 49 rbi- 50 runs - 1SB - .358 in 296 at bats
Micheal Young 7 HR - 57 rbi - 51 runs- 4 SB .316 in 373 at bats
namor720
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby d18Mike » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:05 pm

Wow. That Michael Young comparison is interesting. Thanks.

I'm just conscious of the fact that Sanchez is truly a one category (BA) guy and it's a category that one guy has a hard time impacting. It's not like picking up Lofton or Dave Roberts where they hurt you across the board but could prop you up 2-3 places in one category.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates