Lessons Learned - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Lessons Learned

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Lessons Learned

Postby jsphlly » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:52 am

Fantasy Baseball is a learning experience. I'm now in the middle of my 6th season and feel I'm still learning every year.

The biggest lesson I feel I've learned this season is to be patient. I've made about 40 moves and feel I'd be in much better shape had I been more patient and only made a handful.

Guys I dropped: Kazmir, Morneau & Verlander.

However on the flip side I wish I had cut M. Giles earlier then I did and I wish I had the forsight to sell high on J. Gomes and J. Valverde while I had offers on the table.

How long do y'all give your slumping players?

How do y'all approach 'selling high' on hot players?

What other lessons have you learned this season (or in years past)?
jsphlly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Big Stick » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:10 am

Same with me I am not the most patient GM but, certain players depending on the reputation are just second half players. With rookies, it's hard to really make a solid assessment but prove veterans, I typical stick with because they have a track record. As far as selling high as a rule of thumb, I sell high on new unproven players for a more proven vet. I am not sure if there really a true science to fantasy sports, they most important thing is to keep you eyes and ears open for sleepers. I feel they win championships. That's what separates a really good GM vs mediocre one.
Signature by: RedWoodTree824
Minor League Mentor

Postby teddyballgamemvp » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:33 am

I learned that if you decide to enter a new keeper league, KNOW WHO THE FARK THE TOP 100 PROSPECTS ARE.

Bah.
teddyballgamemvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Lessons Learned

Postby sportsguy138 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:34 am

jsphlly wrote:Fantasy Baseball is a learning experience. I'm now in the middle of my 6th season and feel I'm still learning every year.

The biggest lesson I feel I've learned this season is to be patient. I've made about 40 moves and feel I'd be in much better shape had I been more patient and only made a handful.

Guys I dropped: Kazmir, Morneau & Verlander.

However on the flip side I wish I had cut M. Giles earlier then I did and I wish I had the forsight to sell high on J. Gomes and J. Valverde while I had offers on the table.

How long do y'all give your slumping players?

How do y'all approach 'selling high' on hot players?

What other lessons have you learned this season (or in years past)?

usually i seem to be very patient with my players and give them time to improve (for the most part)..

before i sell high on a player.. i see what i can get return.. but first off what kind of history do they have.. incosistency? so depends all on the player IMO
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 404)

Postby waterproof » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:20 pm

40 might be a lot of moves, but not really over the top. I'm at 29.

Players I've dropped/traded too early - Liriano, Dye, Morneau

Players I'm glad are gone - Giles, Barfield, Duke, Cain, others that I can't remember

Players I've grabbed off the wire or for next to nothing - Willingham, Sexson, Ha. Ramírez, Kinsler, Huff, Chris Ray, little Weaver, Sabathia

Players I'm waiting for: Teixeira, Lowry, Huff (I grabbed him specificly for the 2nd half)

Anyway, I think that making moves will cause you to lose a few guys that could have helped your team, but ultimately, you should end up upgrading over the season. I try to hold my higher draft picks or guys that I really think will good have a good second half (even if they kill me for a while).

Also every sell high is a different situation. I rejected trades for Kazmir, but I let Dunn go pretty fast. I'm starting to regret not trading Turnbow, but he could settle down. You really need to approach these on a case by case basis, and when selling high, I look for proven players (never rookies) that will fill my needs.
waterproof
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jsphlly » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:24 pm

waterproof wrote:Anyway, I think that making moves will cause you to lose a few guys that could have helped your team, but ultimately, you should end up upgrading over the season. I try to hold my higher draft picks or guys that I really think will good have a good second half (even if they kill me for a while).

I've definately picked up some valuble guys off the wire (Bonderman, Otsuka & Granderson) but at the expense of the afore mentioned players; Kazmir, Morneau, Verlander and also Putz.

I find I over analyze things too much, and although I may be getting good value or making right moves every now and then, my "2006 All-Star Lesson" is to be more patient.

What are some other lessons you guys have learned this season?
jsphlly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:38 pm

do not draft by best case scenario, as seen with drafting Barry Bonds :-t
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby schmidty » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:43 pm

jsphlly wrote:What are some other lessons you guys have learned this season?

Stay away from guys with "health" issues. Unless you're just taking a flier on them as a late-round draft pick or a free agent pick-up. Just not worth the headaches.
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby jsphlly » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:51 pm

do not draft by best case scenario, as seen with drafting Barry Bonds

Stay away from guys with "health" issues.

To an extent I learned this one last year. Its easier said then done, but I think the point is, at least to me: If you're not comfortable drafting a guy at a given spot, move on to someone you're more comfortable with. Even if you're wrong it will probably be easier to live with.
jsphlly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bellings » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:57 pm

schmidty wrote:
jsphlly wrote:What are some other lessons you guys have learned this season?

Stay away from guys with "health" issues. Unless you're just taking a flier on them as a late-round draft pick or a free agent pick-up. Just not worth the headaches.

I concur about the health issues. I drafted Harden and Patterson, and I grabbed Gagne off the WW (that wasn't a bad move, he was free). Then I even traded to get Prior. I figured that between all of those guys, I should get 1 or 2 aces for the 2nd half. Now I'm starting to wonder if I'm just going to have a bunch of lame pitchers rotting on the bench.

Injury risk = just not worth it.
bellings
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers