Is Bedard turning it around for good? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Bedard turning it around for good?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is Bedard turning it around for good?

Postby bubgump » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:33 pm

He's been a stud for the last month, but he was also facing all NL teams. What do you think will happen when he's back to facing much tougher line-up in the AL East. I'm thinking he'll continue to perform well. Opinions?
bubgump Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby seniorpaul » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:53 pm

I think he'll put up decent numbers, but i see him as a good sell high candidate at this point.
seniorpaul
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby p32bars » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:00 pm

I was up in Cleveland last night. I watched him throw in the bullpen before the game. Mazzone was in there along with a couple other coaches as well as some of the O's relievers watching him warm-up. He was throwing that new changeup everyone is talking about as well as a slider that had the relievers looking giddy each time he threw it. He was 92-94mph until about the 5th inning. His changeup was around 81-82mph and his slider around 86-89mph all according to the Jacobs Field radar gun board.

He has a deliberate, slow windup in which he pauses and cocks his front hip back for a second and then explodes to the plate. I don't see any reason why his success can't continue throughout the year. He was pounding the strike zone last night and struck out Grady Sizemore 3 straight times on 9 straight pitches. Also made Hafner and Victor Martinez look silly on the changeup.

My suggestion is to acquire him but don't give up the farm. Just point out that he is pitching in the AL East and show his numbers from his 1-4 stretch earlier this season. If you already own him, be glad you do.
p32bars
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby hayseed » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:10 pm

Im not sure if he's good for the rest of the season, but I picked him up last week, and certainly enjoyed his past two starts ;-D ;-D
hayseed
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Re: Is Bedard turning it around for good?

Postby tomdoyle3 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:57 pm

bubgump wrote:He's been a stud for the last month, but he was also facing all NL teams. What do you think will happen when he's back to facing much tougher line-up in the AL East. I'm thinking he'll continue to perform well. Opinions?

His last 5 starts have been against: CLE, CHW, PHI, FLA, NYM. It doesn't get much tougher than that, I wouldn't be worried about him facing AL east teams if he can shut down those teams. ;-D

I've said it all along, when he gets some control, he will become a great pitcher, and in his last 4 starts his k/bb ratio is 32/5 in 29 ip. ;-D ;-D
tomdoyle3
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Mr Irrelevant » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:26 pm

He's been pretty unhittable with his new change, hasnt shown any signs of slowing down since.
Mr Irrelevant
College Coach
College Coach

Re: Is Bedard turning it around for good?

Postby sportsguy138 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:46 pm

tomdoyle3 wrote:
bubgump wrote:He's been a stud for the last month, but he was also facing all NL teams. What do you think will happen when he's back to facing much tougher line-up in the AL East. I'm thinking he'll continue to perform well. Opinions?

His last 5 starts have been against: CLE, CHW, PHI, FLA, NYM. It doesn't get much tougher than that, I wouldn't be worried about him facing AL east teams if he can shut down those teams. ;-D

I've said it all along, when he gets some control, he will become a great pitcher, and in his last 4 starts his k/bb ratio is 32/5 in 29 ip. ;-D ;-D

the kids been real good over the last little bit..

i just see him goin up and down a lot in the second half.. but if he can keep going good for him ;-D
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 406)

Postby KSJayhawk » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:53 pm

Enjoy the ride while he's hot. It's a good sign that he's keeping his BB/9 down. He still throws a lot of pitches getting people out, so I don't think it will be completely smooth sailing for him for the rest of the year.
KSJayhawk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:18 pm

Two weeks ago I traded Moises Alou at $4/1yr for Bedard $11/4 yrs and he ate $4 of his salary for this year. I liked the deal considering I have like 6 OFs.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby zepfan » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:10 am

I couldn't take Bedard's streakiness anymore so I dropped him shortly before he went on this latest streak. I just don't think he can stay consistent.

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers