Thoughts about K. Wood - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thoughts about K. Wood

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Thoughts about K. Wood

Postby Mreater71 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:19 pm

Do you think Kerry Wood will pitch at all for this season? If so, how do u think he will do? And his future with the Cubs?
Mreater71
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Thoughts about K. Wood

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:32 pm

Yahoo wrote:Jul 8 Paul Sullivan, of the Chicago Tribune, reports Chicago Cubs SP Kerry Wood's (shoulder) career is in jeopardy after a partial tear was found in his right rotator cuff. Wood will miss the rest of the 2006 season. Wood will take the next few weeks to decide whether or not to have arthroscopic surgery to repair the damage, but said he's leaning towards not at this point in time. Wood said, "My gut feeling is no surgery." He added that he will evaluate his options in the next couple of weeks after consulting with medical experts. If Wood does not have surgery, he will rest the arm for the next four to six weeks then begin a strengthening program that could lead to side sessions in October. Wood wants to return to the team and would seriously consider finishing his career as a reliever, but realizes the team will need to make a "business decision" on whether to bring him back next year.

Link
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ThatDude » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:08 pm

I didn't think Wood would be resigned anyway, and this latest injury or re-injury or whatever you want to call it will probably seal the end of his Cub days, at the least.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby rmande09 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:29 pm

He's an idiot for trying to rehab a partial tear. A partial tear is still a tear and it'll never be 100% unless they go in and fix it. Sure, he may miss a year at least, but it'd be better than having continuous shoulder problems linked to the tear. Jesus.
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby johnsamo » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:37 pm

His only chance is as a closer. He just doesn't have the body to take the mileage that a starter has to take. If he can het gealthy, a closer that throws 60 innings a year is a possibility. He'll also have to lay off that hook and try to become a Hoffmanesque Fastball change-up guy. It's not impossible but nobody is going to pay huge up front $ to test the idea.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:39 pm

it's to bad really. lots of promise and he's a pretty good guy/teamate. hope he turns it around someday when he's not a cub.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby seniorpaul » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:50 pm

johnsamo wrote:His only chance is as a closer.

I'm actually surprised that the Cubs didn't try this. I'm pretty sure that the Cubs have an option for Wood next season, but the number dosen't make it very attractive. I could see the Cubs resigning him to a one year deal, and try to convert him to a closer.

Or maybe they should just make him a setup guy, and have Prior close games for them ;-)
seniorpaul
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ThatDude » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:09 pm

I personally don't think Kerry would be much of a closer. He would have to significantly cut down his BB figures, you just can't walk people like he does late in close games.

Maybe he could do it, maybe not. I'd rather the Cubs didn't try to find out.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mreater71 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:57 pm

That's what I thought. I don't know what he's thinking about not getting the surgery. Get the surgery so u can be 100% for next year whoever he plays for. With him not getting surgery, he could possibly ruin his shoulder which could possibly end his career.
Mreater71
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rmande09 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:40 pm

Mreater71 wrote:That's what I thought. I don't know what he's thinking about not getting the surgery. Get the surgery so u can be 100% for next year whoever he plays for. With him not getting surgery, he could possibly ruin his shoulder which could possibly end his career.

If he has rotator cuff reconstruction surgery, he probably wouldn't be ready for another 12-14 months - that's the norm. He'd be forfeiting his 2007 season.
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers