Josh Johnson...ERA Leader - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Josh Johnson...ERA Leader

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby tomdoyle3 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:38 am

PlayingWithFire wrote:
tomdoyle3 wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:
tomdoyle3 wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:Florida's horrible defense is a contributer to the high WHIP


You're wrong, his BABIP is .262. The defense is doing fantastic with him on the mound. ;-D


as a Johnson owner, I seem to remember plenty of ground ball hits to the SS and a lot of errors commited by everybody.


Ok, congratulations..

The bottom line is, his BABIP is .262, league average is .300. What do you want me to say?


that when his BABIP regress to around .300 that his ERA will rise?


Lol, I was being sarcastic. This "PlayingWithFire" character doesn't seem to understand that he has actually been benefiting from his defense, not being hurt by it. He also doesn't seem to understand what BABIP means. It's sad, really, the ignorance level on some people who post here. :-t
Image
tomdoyle3
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 288
Joined: 29 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Connecticut

Postby PlayingWithFire » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:55 am

tomdoyle3 wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:
tomdoyle3 wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:
tomdoyle3 wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:Florida's horrible defense is a contributer to the high WHIP


You're wrong, his BABIP is .262. The defense is doing fantastic with him on the mound. ;-D


as a Johnson owner, I seem to remember plenty of ground ball hits to the SS and a lot of errors commited by everybody.


Ok, congratulations..

The bottom line is, his BABIP is .262, league average is .300. What do you want me to say?


that when his BABIP regress to around .300 that his ERA will rise?


Lol, I was being sarcastic. This "PlayingWithFire" character doesn't seem to understand that he has actually been benefiting from his defense, not being hurt by it. He also doesn't seem to understand what BABIP means. It's sad, really, the ignorance level on some people who post here. :-t


low BABIP can be from 2 sources, luck or defense. You can't possibly tell me that a MI consist of Miguel Cabrera, Hanley Ramirez and Dan Uggla is playing good defense. Whoever they put in the OF didn't help much either. Unless I'm completely clueless BABIP is batting average in balls in play. And it has a huge luck factor in it when it comes to pitchers.

and frankly I'm not the only one

DK wrote:That he's getting very lucky with balls in play and his ERA will most likely regress from here on out.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13262
Joined: 7 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Manhattan, KS

Postby stumpak » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:09 am

The fact is that this is a guy who everyone picked off the WW. Even if his ERA is more typically in the 3.50 range, people who have him should be enormously happy. He has a very good K rate and even on the Marlins will do OK in wins. How many pitchers can you say that about? Not many, and none of the other guys were plucked off the WW in April or May.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2729
Joined: 9 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Washington, DC

Postby PlayingWithFire » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:15 am

stumpak wrote:The fact is that this is a guy who everyone picked off the WW. Even if his ERA is more typically in the 3.50 range, people who have him should be enormously happy. He has a very good K rate and even on the Marlins will do OK in wins. How many pitchers can you say that about? Not many, and none of the other guys were plucked off the WW in April or May.


Bronson Arroyo says hello :-D
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13262
Joined: 7 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Manhattan, KS

Postby mariahthepariah » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:29 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:
stumpak wrote:The fact is that this is a guy who everyone picked off the WW. Even if his ERA is more typically in the 3.50 range, people who have him should be enormously happy. He has a very good K rate and even on the Marlins will do OK in wins. How many pitchers can you say that about? Not many, and none of the other guys were plucked off the WW in April or May.


Bronson Arroyo says hello :-D
So does Kazmir. :-D
mariahthepariah
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1822
Joined: 27 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: New Brunswick, NJ

Postby superslugger616 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:37 pm

So does Kazmir.


i drafted kazmir 7th round...WW? :-?
superslugger616
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 446
Joined: 26 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mariahthepariah » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:39 pm

superslugger616 wrote:
So does Kazmir.


i drafted kazmir 7th round...WW? :-?


Yeah, I got him in a 12-man league in April after he was dropped for Arroyo.
mariahthepariah
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1822
Joined: 27 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: New Brunswick, NJ

Postby superslugger616 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:28 pm

Nice pickup ;-D
superslugger616
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 446
Joined: 26 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ravenmad22 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:20 am

I actually don't think that Johnson will be the best rookie pitcher on the Marlins by the end of the season.

If you ask me, Scott Olsen is younger, has better stuff and is left-handed. Look at Olsen's last eight starts and tell me what jumps out at you. The 2.8 ERA? The 1.1 WHIP? or the 9 batters per 9 innings he is striking out. Bottom line: Olsen is pitching like a champ in his second trip around the league, which means he's made adjustments. His control is great. His minor league numbers make Johnson's pale in comparison.

Olsen = Real deal.

Oh and Johnson is good too. I just think hitters will figure him out while Olsen is figuring out the hitters.
ravenmad22
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 515
Joined: 19 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby westcoast1973 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:25 am

Here's hoping Johnson and Olsen keep pitching well as I have both in my 10 team NL-Only league.
westcoast1973
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 50
Joined: 18 May 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: apz, buiviopaufamp and 12 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Jul. 22
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Texas at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
San Francisco at Philadelphia
(7:05 pm)
LA Dodgers at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
Boston at Toronto
(7:07 pm)
Miami at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
San Diego at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Cleveland at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Cincinnati at Milwaukee
(8:10 pm)
Kansas City at Chi White Sox
(8:10 pm)
Tampa Bay at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
Washington at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Detroit at Arizona
(9:40 pm)
Baltimore at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
Houston at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
NY Mets at Seattle
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact