In 8th out of 10, need help!!! WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

In 8th out of 10, need help!!! WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

In 8th out of 10, need help!!! WHIR

Postby mattyo » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:21 am

Hey guys,

I'm getting my rear handed to me in a 10 team H2H mixed yahoo league, and I could really use your help. The cats are AVG, R, HR, SB, RBI, OPS, W, SVs, Ks, Holds, ERA, WHIP:

C: I Rodriguez
1B: M Texeira
2B: C Figgins
3B: H Blalock
SS: J Peralta
IF: A Dunn
LF: D DeJesus
CF: JD Drew
RF: B Abreu
OF: C Crisp
Bench: P Burrell, J Kent, G Sheffield (DL)
SP: Webb, Penny, Smoltz, C Young, AJ Burnett
RP: Otsuka, Wickman, C Ray, R Soriano

My team's been okay with pitching, but my roster is full of flops, including Tex, Abreu, Peralta, Crisp, Figgins, Kent (who always seems to be hurt), and Sheff (this one has killed my offense). A Dunn hits a ton of HRs, but his AVG has been killing me. Do I just sit on these underperformers, or should I be actively moving them? Should I be looking to move Tex/Abreu for guys like Konerko, Nomar, Thome, etc.? I don't think I'd be able to fetch a Hafner, Ortiz, Beltran - type guys with these players. Any advice?

Thanks,
MattyO
mattyo Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CaMeroN CraZie » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:39 am

Get rid of Abreu, many people would probably need him on thier team. Try to aquire a SP in return!
http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=225225
CaMeroN CraZie
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mpoland92 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:39 am

you are right in 2 aspects.... Sheffields injury is killing you (he is doin the same thing to me in one of my leagues) and 2 you do need to move a teix/figgins or teix/abreu for a stud bat.... you wouldnt be able to get a Manny or Ortiz type player, but someone like a Miggy Cabrera or Paul Konerko type would be what you need.... not a bad team, but some of the other teams obviously have a more complete lineup... hope that helps

What I post is my OPINION, I have never said I was a expert, you asked for help, I gave you my help.
mpoland92
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: In 8th out of 10, need help!!! WHIR

Postby sherwood921 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:43 am

mattyo wrote:Hey guys,

I'm getting my rear handed to me in a 10 team H2H mixed yahoo league, and I could really use your help. The cats are AVG, R, HR, SB, RBI, OPS, W, SVs, Ks, Holds, ERA, WHIP:

C: I Rodriguez
1B: M Texeira
2B: C Figgins
3B: H Blalock
SS: J Peralta
IF: A Dunn
LF: D DeJesus
CF: JD Drew
RF: B Abreu
OF: C Crisp
Bench: P Burrell, J Kent, G Sheffield (DL)
SP: Webb, Penny, Smoltz, C Young, AJ Burnett
RP: Otsuka, Wickman, C Ray, R Soriano

My team's been okay with pitching, but my roster is full of flops, including Tex, Abreu, Peralta, Crisp, Figgins, Kent (who always seems to be hurt), and Sheff (this one has killed my offense). A Dunn hits a ton of HRs, but his AVG has been killing me. Do I just sit on these underperformers, or should I be actively moving them? Should I be looking to move Tex/Abreu for guys like Konerko, Nomar, Thome, etc.? I don't think I'd be able to fetch a Hafner, Ortiz, Beltran - type guys with these players. Any advice?

Thanks,
MattyO

You can definately move Abreu. His OPS is always great, but you're probably getting plenty of steals elsewhere on your team. I'd see what type of power hitter you could get for him. I think your pitching is the opposite of your hitting. Webb, Young, and and Penny have all been (arguably) overperforming. I'd see if you could trade them along with a hitter for a better hitter and pitcher who's been struggling. Something like Webb and Peralta for Peavy and a better SS maybe. I'd send some offers out your struggling hitters, but don't get ripped off, because that makes the deal pointless, obviously. Sometimes it's just better to sit and hope your better players play better.

help please
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=225263
sherwood921
College Coach
College Coach

Postby waltb87 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:06 pm

try to put a package together w/ teix and abreu and use them as trade bait to pick up a excellent SP and maybe a good first basemen and try to pick up a youngen from FA that could replace Abreu.
waltb87
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jmlevy » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:08 pm

Your SP seems fine, that is not the issue. I think that you do need to move a couple of your underperformers to other teams in order to acquire guys like grady sizemore or alex rios(you might find him cheap, like i did, as he's coming off the DL(i did bay and glavine for vlad and rios :-) ) If you had a better 2B backup, I would say trade Figgins. Now, I think that you would have to settle for him remaining on your roster. Of your hitters, Peralta, Blalock, and Dunn should have the best 2nd halfs on your roster. Nobody is remotely certain as to how Teix will rebound. Abreu is old and is not the playmaker on that team that he once was(that is now Howard). You are biting the AVG category with guys like Figgins and Dunn, even though they are major contributors in SB and HR, respectively. Crisp has been a major flop since his return from the DL, and unless he regains his leadoff role, I dont see him making a difference in the 2nd half.
You have a lot of work to do, but look around at other manager's rosters and give us possible trades that you are looking at. We can help you from there.
Good luck

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=225288
jmlevy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 10)

Postby mattyo » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:24 pm

Some trades that I've been pondering include:

1. (abreu or tex) plus (penny or young or webb) for berkman and peavy
2. same as above but also throwing in Kent (the guy has Freel at 2b)
3. Abreu and Tex for Konerko and C Lee
4. Abreu and Tex for Halladay and Nomar
5. Abreu and Tex for Zambrano and Nomar

Would any of these trades be worth offering, or am I going to get ripped off withese offers?
Thanks again
mattyo Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby waltb87 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:09 pm

abreu and tex for garciaparra and halladay would be an excellent excellent trade, so would zambrano and nomar, both will help you extensively, not completely but, will help a good good amount
waltb87
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby whoson1st0 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:36 pm

I'd be very skeptical about trading for nomar, to me he is always an injury risk and with all your underperformers the last thing you need is an injury risk. Obviously others dont' feel the same way I do about it.

If your pitching is good and your offense is not, I don't see a reason to trade offense for pitching. Getting fair value for your underperformers will be tough but I agree with trading abreu for some other offensive help.

You may actually also be better off sitting tight and hoping your guys come around in the 2nd half rather than selling low. Last year I sold low on guys like helton and jenkins who ended up having great 2nd halves.
whoson1st0
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 45)

ship abreu but not teix

Postby baseballstud » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:42 pm

teix is an all star break away from being back to his old self. everything points to the fact that he will be back to his old self tearing stuff up in the 2nd half of the season. at this point you arent going to get a full value for teix obviously so i would hold onto him and wait for him to tear it up. trading him for a hot player at the moment may come back to bite you in the long run. pitching looks nice but may want to get rid of soriano and wickman b/c soriano isnt the closer and wickman has struggled greatly.
baseballstud
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 39)

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team