whats the best thing in your collection - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Cards and Memorabilia

whats the best thing in your collection

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby CrazyPooja90 » Sun Jun 13, 2004 4:22 am

I suppose my coolest story is that my best friend's dad is a tailor for a whole bunch of athletes, in all sports. For example Marshall Faulk has been there numerous times, as well as some of the Cardinals. (We live in Stl.) He got me a couple Aeneas Williams (Rams Def) autographs.

However my personal favorite autograph memory would be of Turk Wendell. I was at Coors field and he was talking to a few people and I started to walk over to him. I was wearing my stros hat and I took it off cause he was playing with the Phillies. Anyway, I was going through a sorta funky hair stage, and on top of that, by taking off the hat and exposing some messed up hat hair (I wore it all day) it looked pretty crazy. Wendell was like "Haha, aye bad hair day kid..." and then he took off his hat and was like "...at least your not balding."

He wasa really cool guy.

Anyways, this is a cool thread. Thanks for refreashing the good memories.
"I'm going to meet the greatest umpire of all, and he knows I'm innocent."

-Shoeless Joe Jackson
CrazyPooja90
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rico The Retard » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:28 pm

either a autographed card of cal ripken, a autographed ball of mike piazza, or a card i actually got autographed by todd helton at a game
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby VaTribeFan » Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:23 pm

Back in 2000, the Hall of Fame started this thing where they'd invite prominent HOF-er's to Cooperstown for small group get-togethers with "Friends of the Hall of Fame" members. I had joined already and my friend told me that Bob Feller would be the guest on Memorial Day. So I flew in from Phoenix and my buddy flew in from Greensboro for this event.

Sidebar: This was also the weekend where we went to Yankee stadium for the Sox-NY game where Pedro and Clemens matched up in an "Instant Classic" on EPSN.....amazing game.

We had all of our Indians gear on and went to meet Mr. Feller. He sits down and immediately tells the few Yankees fans present to "pipe down and behave" and thanks us for wearing our Indians gear. After the meet-n-greet, we all went to his plaque in the Hall. All of us got pictures with him and he signed a ball, an 8 x 10 of his induction day photo, and a Bob Feller postcard.

I ended up having the 8 x 10, the postcard (with the Cooperstown postmark) and the HOF admission ticket framed professionally. It hangs in my office and is a real conversation piece.

Mr. Feller was truly humble and thankful. I can only imagine his numbers had he not served his country during WWII.
VaTribeFan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:51 pm

Tribe In '05 wrote:Back in 2000, the Hall of Fame started this thing where they'd invite prominent HOF-er's to Cooperstown for small group get-togethers with "Friends of the Hall of Fame" members. I had joined already and my friend told me that Bob Feller would be the guest on Memorial Day. So I flew in from Phoenix and my buddy flew in from Greensboro for this event.

Sidebar: This was also the weekend where we went to Yankee stadium for the Sox-NY game where Pedro and Clemens matched up in an "Instant Classic" on EPSN.....amazing game.

We had all of our Indians gear on and went to meet Mr. Feller. He sits down and immediately tells the few Yankees fans present to "pipe down and behave" and thanks us for wearing our Indians gear. After the meet-n-greet, we all went to his plaque in the Hall. All of us got pictures with him and he signed a ball, an 8 x 10 of his induction day photo, and a Bob Feller postcard.

I ended up having the 8 x 10, the postcard (with the Cooperstown postmark) and the HOF admission ticket framed professionally. It hangs in my office and is a real conversation piece.

Mr. Feller was truly humble and thankful. I can only imagine his numbers had he not served his country during WWII.

Awesome story. ;-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby The Thrill » Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:26 pm

Agree. Nice Story. ;-D

I have a few favorite collectibles.
A HR ball hit by Ron Coomer. I asked him to sign it after the game and he was kind enough to do that.

A signed Kirby Puckett bat for Twins season ticket holders (and yes, it is actually signed and not an imprint).

Some programs and pictures from baseball tours that my friends and I have gone on. We were excited to see some future Twins stars when they were in AA ball together (Mienkiewicz, Guzman, Jacque Jones, Torii Hunter...)
The Thrill
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby SuptownSpartans34 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:39 pm

I sent a few ball players letters in the mail, no one big (sterling hitchcock,jamie moyer, bill schroeder) and they all sent back an autographed card. I also met Kris Benson and ate lunch with him. On Monday I will have the pleasure of meeting one of my new favorite players, Lew Ford.
SuptownSpartans34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Madison » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:14 am

SuptownSpartans34 wrote:I also met Kris Benson and ate lunch with him.

I wouldn't mind eating lunch with Mrs. Anna Benson. O:-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby SuptownSpartans34 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:19 pm

Madison wrote:
SuptownSpartans34 wrote:I also met Kris Benson and ate lunch with him.

I wouldn't mind eating lunch with Mrs. Anna Benson. O:-)

Haha neither would I but she is also a headcase.
SuptownSpartans34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rjrowe » Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:05 am

I got some bazzoka joe bubble gum from Alfonseca, when i was down in florida with the 5 other fans at the stadium.
The Mets will still suck!
rjrowe
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Rico The Retard » Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:25 am

i got to talk with Mark Teixiera for a little bit at a Rangers vs. Royals game, it was pretty cool except he kept talking really slow to me like i was retarded :-? :-b but seriously it was pretty cool i got there like 3 hours before game time and he came over and autographed by ball during BP
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Cards and Memorabilia