whats the best thing in your collection - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Cards and Memorabilia

whats the best thing in your collection

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby eftda » Mon Nov 17, 2003 2:08 am

thanks great man ;-D

make sure to save those ;-D
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:04 am

Wow, coke - those are truly some of the game's great players. ;-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BigLebowski » Sat Nov 22, 2003 1:45 pm

I was given a baseball from my father that has Ronald Reagan, Jimmy Carter, and Richard Nixon's sig's on it. Kinda cool.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 473)

Postby DK » Sat Nov 22, 2003 4:15 pm

Well, I have a ton of Larry Doby autographs, as some of you should know...

My uncle owns a minor league baseball team, and his team had Bobby Bonds come and talk to them. I got the bat he used.

RIP Bobby
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Nov 25, 2003 4:07 am

coke609 wrote:I have an autograph collection of mostly baseball players on popstcards. i would send a letter to their ballpark and enclose a self addressed postcard which the player would sign and return. They are all dated between 1958 thur 1960. I have Musual, Williams. Mantle, Mc Covey,Snider, Spahn, Burdette, Slaughter,Unitas, Chamberlain and many others. I also have an autographed picture postcard of Roger Maris when he was with the Kansas City Athelitics.

I know that many people have a more extensive collection but I cannot describe the thrill of as a 12 year old waiting for the mail to arrive every day!

Nice collection. ;-D I used to do something similar. I used to send cards of the player and a SASE to the stadium address with a letter saying that they were my favorite player, etc. and they would send the card back signed 95% of the time, sometimes with an extra goodie or 2. I always loved the card that Pops sent back. :,-(

Good luck trying that now. :-P
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby coke609 » Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:33 am

You would have to include a $20 bill with it.

How sad.
I would NEVER vote Pete Rose into the Hall Of Fame
coke609
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:53 pm

coke609 wrote:You would have to include a $20 bill with it.

How sad.

True story. I am a head counselor for a summer camp in a small town in Jersey (Yes, they still exist). For the past few years, we go to a game of an independent team called the NJ Jackals. We always go with like 40 or so kids and this year, there were 3 in particular who brought baseballs just so their idol Yogi Berra could sign them. Oh, I forgot to mention that the game is played at Yogi Berra Stadium and his museum is located on the premises. While we were waiting, out of the corner of my eye, I saw Yogi walking into the offices. At this point, I had no idea of their plan but wanted to at least meet the guy. By the time that I made it over to where he was, he had already made it into the back door of the offices. Then, I found out about the kids' plan and decided to go with a cute counselor (for leverage, if necessary) to see if we could get him to autograph 3 balls for those kids. We didn't want to make a scene so we just asked them for their balls and went and waited for the museum to open. Once it did, we convinced a guard at the door to let us in for free and he even showed us to the desk where we could ask for the autographs. There were also only 3 or so people in the whole place. I asked the guy behind the desk, who happened to be his son Dale, if Yogi could sign these 3 balls and he got all mad and said that it's not fair if he signs those for free and we would have to give him $35 each like everyone else. We respectfully declined and walked out of there.

Somehow, I know that if I had any notice and made it to Yogi in the lot, this same thing would not have happened. Unfortunately, this aspect is not about the fans and is all about the buck now.

Sorry for the babble.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby coke609 » Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:12 pm

I Live in Port St Lucie Florida. It is about 40 miles south of Vero Beach. During the week of the Dodger Fantasy camp I went up Dodgertown.

There were many former Dodger (both Brooklyn and Las Angeles) players present. Sitting on golf carts were Duke Snider and Ralph Branca just sitting and signing balla, bats, pictures your jersey anything you wanted for FREE!!!!

Can you picture BARRY BONDS doing this 40 years from now?

How sad :,-( that it has come down this.
I would NEVER vote Pete Rose into the Hall Of Fame
coke609
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:15 pm

coke609 wrote:How sad :,-( that it has come down this.

Agreed.
Lofunzo

Postby Madison » Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:16 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
coke609 wrote:How sad :,-( that it has come down this.

Agreed.

I agree too. :,-(
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Cards and Memorabilia