Ricciardi-Vernon Wells argument - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Toronto Blue Jays

Ricciardi-Vernon Wells argument

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ricciardi-Vernon Wells argument

Postby mweir145 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:10 am

Campbell and Tabler had a post game interview with Vernon today, and he commented on how it was inappropriate for JP to call the team out like that, specifically the "3-4-5 hitters" and the "4-5 pitchers." He said something along the lines of, we should be a good team all the way through the organization, even management, everybody's trying out here, it isn't a matter of effort, and people shouldn't be called out in public as long as I am here.

I personally thought JP did the right thing by making those comments. He seems to genuinely care about how this team does, and hates it when they underachieve agaisnt teams like the Royals. It was almost Steinbrenner-like what he did (which I believe is a good thing), and it was exactly what I was waiting for after those 2 horrible efforts. Hopefully the comments lit a fire under this team. They definitely caught the attention of Vernon Wells.

Vernon's last words do suggest that he won't be here for much longer, though...

If he chooses not to sign a long term contract soon (which he may have already decided agaisnt), I wouldn't be surprised if he was shipped out in the offseason or at the deadline in 2007 for something of value. It's unfortunate Jays fans...but it may turn out to be true.

I've just noticed Campbell has written a piece in his blog about this interview tonight, so here it is (and if anybody hadn't read the JP comments today, I think they are linked in Jamie's blog): http://www2.sportsnet.ca/blogs/jamie_ca ... cked_tock/
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kimchi_chigae » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:18 am

I haven't read what JP said, but if he went Ozzie Guillen on the team, he had the right to do so. This road trip has been awful and the Jays are losing a lot of ground to the Sox and Yanks. Sure Texas is a good hitting team, but the Jays should be able to win that series and I think we all know that the Jays are expected to win 3 or 4 against the Royals.

I wouldn't be surprised if Wells doesn't sign a long-term deal with the Jays, it's a shame, but what else can Toronto do? We have a competitive team, Jays fan love Wells and he's playing in Toronto, the greatest city on the planet. :-D Let him go to Arlignton and hit .250 for the rest of his career. :-b
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby sportsguy138 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:38 pm

ive been saying it in the last couple of weeks to my buddys..

after wells contract i really dont think hell come back..

its too bad to see though.. the guy is a gold glover.. and a tremendous hitter.. if we do get rid of him.. its gonna reall hurt the jays :~(
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 388)

Return to Toronto Blue Jays