Desperately need some help with my team! WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Desperately need some help with my team! WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Desperately need some help with my team! WHIR

Postby whoson1st0 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:50 pm

5X5, mixed, 12 team league. My roster is below, followed by my current standing in the league:

C - Lo Duca, Paul
C - Lopez, Javy
1B - Lee, Derrek
2B - Loretta, Mark
3B - Cantu, Jorge (2B, 3B)
SS- Glaus, Troy (SS, 3B)
MI - Crosby, Bobby
CI - Cuddyer, Michael (1B, 3B, OF)
OF - Crawford, Carl
OF - Lee, Carlos
OF - Green, Shawn
OF - Jenkins, Geoff
OF - Kemp, Matt
U - Overbay, Lyle

SP - Santana, Johan
SP - Bonderman, Jeremy
SP - Escobar, Kelvim
SP - Olsen, Scott
SP - Moyer, Jamie
SP - Park, Chan Ho
RP - Turnbow, Derrick
RP - Accardo, Jeremy
RP - Rodney, Fernando

BENCH
Eckstein, David (SS)
Wigginton, Ty (1B, 2B, 3B, OF)
Sanders, Reggie (OF)

DL
Sheets, Ben (SP)
Gagne, Eric (RP)
Penn, Hayden (SP)
Gibbons, Jay (OF)

BA - 6th
HR - 6th
RBI - 6th
Runs - 10th
SB - 5th (tied)

ERA - 2nd
WHIP - 1st
K - 2nd
Wins - 3rd
S - 6th

This is good enough for 82.5 pts, or 2nd place overall at the halfway point. But there are a handful of teams right behind me and I can't see me lasting long. I traded Harang a few weeks ago for Cantu but it hasn't helped a whole lot. I feel like my pitching is going to implode but I think my offense needs to be addressed first. My problem is, I don't really seem to have enough depth to trade anyone of any value.

Additionally, it's very hard to 'sell high' in my league. Guys who are playing well like cuddyer, overbay and wigginton, that don't have a history of being all that great, provide little value in a trade.

Is there anything I can do to put my team over the top and prevent them from dropping like a brick??
whoson1st0
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 45)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Frappy » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:42 pm

1st of all, when D.Lee gets into his groove it's like you just made a huge trade for your offense right there. Also, with Ben Sheets returning that can really solidify your pitching. At this point in the year, I tend to look at pitcher's Pre and Post all-star numbers to help decide who should be moved. One guy Im thinking of is Bonderman. He's not exactly a sell high player with no history like you mentioned imo, but he looks like a promising pitcher who finnally found his stuff. He should have a good amount of value in him. However, he has a a career of poor 2nd halfs with an ERA of over 5 lifetime. I would try to trade him off for some Outfield/util power. Not only does it get rid of a 2nd half question mark, but it does fill the offensive need you have. Also, if you ship off bonderman you no longer have one Starting pitcher who has a career of poorer 2nd halfs then their 1st. People Like Santana,Escobar,Park all do better in the 2nd half - with Santana and Escobar doing much better. I tend to believe in the phrase "History repeats itself".

Anyway, In short I think you could trade off Bonderman and get good offensive value in return. With D.Lee due to return to 100%, your offense would be looking up. Also, with the addition of sheets, your 2nd half pitching looks stronger and not weaker.

Can you please help me and my team out? Link:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... 00#1761900
Frappy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mattyo » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:38 pm

I agree. Santana, Sheets, and Escobar will form a solid SP nucleus for the second half of the season for you. On the other hand, your MI and RP seems weaker. You can upgrade to a top flight MI if you offer Bonderman and either glaus/cantu/crosby for a Reyes/Tejada/Young type player. Another idea is to package Bonderman and one of your current MIs for a struggling guy who may turn it around like Peralta, and a closer
Good luck.

Please respond:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=225450
mattyo Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby whoson1st0 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:30 pm

Can I really count on sheets coming back strong in the 2nd half, considering his injury history? I always figured anything he could give me as a bonus.
whoson1st0
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 45)

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team