How Effective is the IBB? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How Effective is the IBB?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How Effective is the IBB?

Postby JourneyingBraves » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:57 am

I was wondering if there was a statistic out there scoring how effective an IBB with RISP is? I'm just wondering what it does to the mind set of a Pitcher when avioding someone like a Bonds or Pujols and putting him aboard even with a RISP..I'm just wondering If anyone knows what hitters are hitting after an IBB has been issued and what some of the Cafe members think of their starting pitchers/ closers putting people on intentionally. Do you think its good or bad?
JourneyingBraves
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby smoovethug » Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:25 am

I hate giving out the IBB to load the bases, it just seems like the pitcher always walks in a run afterwards and it drives me nuts, especially with a pitcher prone to wildness or who has already been missing his spots earlier. :-P

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby JourneyingBraves » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:16 pm

bump anyone else with an opinion
JourneyingBraves
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby RynMan » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:33 pm

I agree, walking the bases loaded is a bad idea. Can't count the number of times I have seen the winning run get scored on a hit by pitch.

The Expected Runs Matrix gives you some answers. Basically it tells you (based on research), that intentionally walking anyone is a bad idea, period. However, if the winning run is on third, I don't have a problem walking a guy to put him on first. If there are none out and bases empty in that position, the likelyhood of the team scoring the run is very high.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Return to Baseball Leftovers