Why doesn't McCann... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why doesn't McCann...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby CadensDad » Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:44 am

McCann almost always sits against lefties, he is only batting 212 against them. Also sits around every 5th day. McCann does still seem to be "limping" on his ankle, He's young and going to be a solid hitter for the next 5 years or so. I expect him to next year be platooning at 1B and C with Salty who will most likely be coming up next year. I think Cox is playing it smart with him and letting him take it easy. His aB's will go up though as the Braves close the gap

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Niffoc4 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:48 am

Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:
kaiser wrote:Bobby Cox has always liked to sit his #1 backstop once every five days or so. He usually assigns the #2 (Preatt in this case) to a certain SP, and then that guy always catches that pitcher. It doesn't matter how good they are. For example, Javy Lopez never caught Greg Maddux, even when Javy was one of the best hitting catchers in baseball.

Not saying you're wrong about Bobby, but I think the Maddux situation had more to do with Maddux.
Uhh... This is the 1st year I can remember where Cox has not set up the Braves rotation so that one of the starters has a personal catcher... with Estrada the starting catcher I think it was Horacio Ramirez who had a personal catcher... then last year McCann was Smoltz's (I believe), until the Braves decided that McCann should start towards the end of last year.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby MrSnider » Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:32 am

Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:Not saying you're wrong about Bobby, but I think the Maddux situation had more to do with Maddux.

I read an interview on that once actually. They figured Maddux could handle everything by himself. Not as if Eddie Perez did a bad job of calling games, but Maddux had nothing against Lopez.
MrSnider
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mak1277 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:57 am

Frankly, I'm of the opposite opinion. I'm glad he sits against lefties. Granted, I'm in an NL-only league, so what he's giving me right now is still top 3 or 4 of any catcher in the league.

But I love him for his average. I acknowledge that he's not giving me as many runs, RBIs, HRs that he could, but I don't expect that from my catcher anyway. I say let him sit and keep his average high!
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:09 pm

CadensDad wrote:McCann almost always sits against lefties, he is only batting 212 against them. Also sits around every 5th day. McCann does still seem to be "limping" on his ankle, He's young and going to be a solid hitter for the next 5 years or so. I expect him to next year be platooning at 1B and C with Salty who will most likely be coming up next year. I think Cox is playing it smart with him and letting him take it easy. His aB's will go up though as the Braves close the gap

Have you seen Saltys numbers for this year? I don't think McCann has anything to worry about with Salty taking playing time from him in the near future.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby brandnew » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:36 pm

Hobbes wrote:
Krunk City King$ wrote:he is also still working his way back from the ankle injury and he still limps around the bases. any excuse for a day off might be a good thing for him.

Yep, watching him run hurts my ankle. He'd probably be sitting every fifth day if his ankle was 100%, but is getting extra days off when facing lefties to let him heal up some more.

;-D ;-D

His ankle's hurting... sits every 5th day... Cox just uses lefties to rest him up once in a while.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby CadensDad » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:38 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
CadensDad wrote:McCann almost always sits against lefties, he is only batting 212 against them. Also sits around every 5th day. McCann does still seem to be "limping" on his ankle, He's young and going to be a solid hitter for the next 5 years or so. I expect him to next year be platooning at 1B and C with Salty who will most likely be coming up next year. I think Cox is playing it smart with him and letting him take it easy. His aB's will go up though as the Braves close the gap

Have you seen Saltys numbers for this year? I don't think McCann has anything to worry about with Salty taking playing time from him in the near future.

Yea, I've seen them, I still think he will get the call next year though. Laroche just doesnt seem like a loerm 1B for us

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 3)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers