Mojito Time - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Mojito Time

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mojito Time

Postby Coppermine » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:25 pm

There have been a lot of threads about drinking lately and I thought, why stop now?

Tonight I have decided to forego my usual craft beer choices in favor of my favorite summer libation: the mojito.

In case you're not familiar, the Mojito is the illigitimate offspring of the daiquiri (not the wussy frozen daiquiri your girlfriend drinks, the one made with nothing but rum and lime juice) and the good ole southern mint julep. Actually, the mojito predates both drinks, at least in embryonic form.

Cuban in origin, the mojito is the perfect summer companion. Here is the recipe:

First, a Collins glass (that is, a very narrow and tall glass that is often hard to come by; I got mine from Mikasa and bought about 10 of them. They're great).

In the glass, squeeze in the juice of half a lime.

Add about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of superfine/bar/confectioners/powdered sugar... whatever you want to call it.

Toss in a few fresh mint leaves; they need to be fresh. We have a mint plant growing out front and this is almost exclusively what I use it for.

Muddle and mush it all against the side of the glass with the handle end of a butterknife or some other utensil; you want to bruise the mint leaves while mixing up the sugar and lime juice.

Now fill the glass about 2/3 with cracked ice. Toss some ice in the blender if you need to for about 2 seconds, it makes a difference.

Now here's the fun part; pour in the rum... the mojito calls for white but if spiced is what you're still drinking, by all means. I like to fill it so, with the ice, mint and lime juice, I'm at the halfway mark with the rum. Usually about 2-3 oz.

Toss in the squeezed out shell of the half lime and fill the rest with club soda/seltzer/soda water (whatever YOU call it) and serve with a stirring rod.

There you go, the mojito... my favorite summer drink.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:39 pm

I refuse to drink that funny looking drink no matter how good it tastes
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Coppermine » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:45 pm

acsguitar wrote:I refuse to drink that funny looking drink no matter how good it tastes

Oh come on!

If anything, in the words of Dave Chapelle imitating the words of Samuel L. Jackson...

"It'll getcha drunk!"

Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:46 pm

wow youre knowledge of liqour is pretty impressive. ;-D

all i know is booze gets me drunk and that's good enough for me. :-S
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:22 pm

Had these when I visited Mexico 2 Springs ago. Very tasty. ;-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 354)

Postby blankman » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:26 pm

I made one of those last year. It was decent but probably not worth all the effort it takes to make it.

I also felt a little queer drinking it :-o
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Coppermine » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:46 pm

blankman wrote:I made one of those last year. It was decent but probably not worth all the effort it takes to make it.

I also felt a little queer drinking it :-o

Oh come on! There are way queerer drinks out there!
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RugbyD » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:48 pm

my bro makes a killer raspberry mojito
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Coppermine » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:03 pm

RugbyD wrote:my bro makes a killer raspberry mojito

You see this picture? This is a funny story.....

OK, maybe you're familiar with this picture of "Ponch" from the internet... they're a much more popular picture of here with the caption "You're a *** (you know what it is, i'm just trying to be amiable).

Anyway, I work for a small IT consulting company who does IT work for Fortune 500 companies like Volvo and JLG. Well, we have this thing oing around in the office called "getting ponched." It's this picture (plus the offensive caption) getting set as your desktop wallpaper if you happen to forget to lock your computer or shut it down when walking away.

It reached a new level this week though. My manager connected to my computer last week after I had left for the day and "ponched" me... no big deal, it happens to all of us... but, upon booting up, I foudn that when I went to change my wallpaper, my ability to do so was disabled. It was one of his little "tests." As an IT consultant, I guess it's good to be familiar with the complete Windows environment.

First I discovered that he had disabled my administrative privilages. I logged in as the generic PC install ID and added myself as an Admin but, sure enough, my ability to change the wallpaper was still disabled. Sure enough, and after quite some embarrassing time (believe me, if I had to ask him to fix it for me, I would have looked like a douche) I found the solution. Windows has a "group policy" function in the WinXP Pro environement (Run > gpedit.msc) that allows you to enable and disable multiple functions of the Windows environment. Once I found the "Disable change wallpaper" key, I was finally able to "un-ponch" myself.

Since I don't have my MCSE yet, this was a bit of a challenge, but here you can see what us IT guys do when we're not fixing your computer.... we're trying to get Erik Estrada off of our desktop telling us that we're gay, using microsoft systems engineer tricks to do so.

I'm still tring to figure out how to get back at my manager for this one.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby blankman » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:18 pm

Wrong topic? :-?
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next