Pineiro to Yanks? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pineiro to Yanks?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby CeeLoGreen » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:52 pm

Here, Ill give you this pile of crap, and you give me that pile of crap.
Basically I'm complicated.
I have a hard time taking the easy way
I wouldn't call it schizophrenia
But Ill be at least two people today

If that's OK

And I can go on, and on, and on...

But who cares?
CeeLoGreen
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GrimZeke007 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:55 pm

Wouldn't Chacon be more valuable because there's a shred of possibility that he would become a type B free agent? Considering the Yankees usually sign free agents, they may need his 1st round pick. Next year's draft will be very talented plus I don't foresee any other type A/B agents on the team.

Sheffield: arbitration?
Mussina: will be resigned but not with his 20 mil option.
GrimZeke007
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Chip1010 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:04 pm

CeeLoGreen wrote:Here, Ill give you this pile of crap, and you give me that pile of crap.

Absolutely. A complete wash. Two guys who probably shouldn't be in any major-league starting rotation.
Chip1010
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:11 am

GrimZeke007 wrote:Wouldn't Chacon be more valuable because there's a shred of possibility that he would become a type B free agent? Considering the Yankees usually sign free agents, they may need his 1st round pick. Next year's draft will be very talented plus I don't foresee any other type A/B agents on the team.

The Yanks have a 13 M option on Sheff for next season. At this point, it is anyone's guess as to whether they pick that up or pass on it and try to sign another OF like Carlos Lee.

Moose's option will be declined. Whether he signs again is problematic. He does not have a lot of options though as he wants to play close to home which means the Yanks, Mets, Balt, Phils and Pitts. I really can't see him going to that launching pad in Philly and the Pirates are not going to pay. He and Angelos reportedly dislike each other so really I would think the Yanks are his first and really only option unless the Mets want to pursue him.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:58 am

TheYanks04 wrote:
GrimZeke007 wrote:Wouldn't Chacon be more valuable because there's a shred of possibility that he would become a type B free agent? Considering the Yankees usually sign free agents, they may need his 1st round pick. Next year's draft will be very talented plus I don't foresee any other type A/B agents on the team.

The Yanks have a 13 M option on Sheff for next season. At this point, it is anyone's guess as to whether they pick that up or pass on it and try to sign another OF like Carlos Lee.

Moose's option will be declined. Whether he signs again is problematic. He does not have a lot of options though as he wants to play close to home which means the Yanks, Mets, Balt, Phils and Pitts. I really can't see him going to that launching pad in Philly and the Pirates are not going to pay. He and Angelos reportedly dislike each other so really I would think the Yanks are his first and really only option unless the Mets want to pursue him.

I don't think there's any chance Sheff will be back with the team next year. The Yankees had the chance to pick up his option earlier in the season and decided not to. Then Sheff started complaining. Then Sheff got hurt.

He's old, declining and is a headache. The Yankees are better suited letting him go be somebody else's problem, and finding a younger, better replacement.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby sportsguy138 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:03 am

mrmelo15 wrote:Thats like trading Jason Johnson for Jason Johnson.

Ok...maybe not that bad.

id rather have jason johnson.. just my oponion
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 405)

Postby MMoNeY24 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:04 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:

I don't think there's any chance Sheff will be back with the team next year. The Yankees had the chance to pick up his option earlier in the season and decided not to. Then Sheff started complaining. Then Sheff got hurt.

He's old, declining and is a headache. The Yankees are better suited letting him go be somebody else's problem, and finding a younger, better replacement.

Agreed. Ofcourse, all the problems with Sheffield could have been avoided from the start by signing Vlad, but that didn't happen. I'm not completely aware of the outfielders becoming free agents next year other than Hunter, but if they trade for a Lee type outfielder this year, Sheffield's days in the Bronx are done I would think.

With Pineiro/Chacon - both bad pitching-wise this year. I would probably just keep Chacon because he's more gangsta and pitched well for the Yanks last year.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:06 am

Maybe. It would be a tactical gamble to not pick up that option and then not be able to sign Carlos Lee, who is the only elite caliber OF available next season I believe. He is also a LFer and that means either Lee or Matsui would have to play RF. If you can't get Lee to come or if you get outbid on Lee, you could then have to sign some stop gap OF or lesser player and you have to wonder whether it is better to pay Sheff 13 M for one more year and hope he is healthy or go get some 25/80 type OF on the cheap and live with that and worry whether you end up with another RonDL or Tony Blomack situation. And we all know what type of record the CLueless one has wrt signing cheap players. He gets garbage.

I do not think it is clear cut by any means which is the way to go. If there were 3 or 4 OFs of quality on the free agent market I would probably say let Sheff walk, but I believe Lee is the only other one.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:13 am

Biggest OFers available after the season...

-Torii Hunter
-Ken Griffey Jr.
-Jim Edmonds
-Mike Cameron
-Juan Pierre
-Barry Bonds
-Carlos Lee
-Alfonso Soriano
-Moises Alou
-Jermaine Dye
-Jose Guillen
-Gary Sheffield

Many of them aren't great fits. Damon offered to move to RF if the Yankees were to acquire a guy like Hunter though. Definately something worth looking into for the Yankees.

I have a very strong suspicion that Hunter will be wearing pinstripes next season...
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby dawgs2010 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:34 am

I think this would be a good deal. Joel was dominat in the bullpen and in his early years, but now a change of scenery would definatly help.
dawgs2010
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers