Delmon Young - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Delmon Young

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Delmon Young

Postby esoffin » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:28 pm

Any updates on if/when Tampa Bay will bring him up?
esoffin
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Prooks25 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:34 pm

Knowing Tampa....i think the best answer is Never.

But I am curious myself if anyone has any inside info on the guy who is currently batting near .400, hitting a HR a day lately, and stealing like mad...But again, not good enough to supplant Damon Hollins.
Prooks25
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby bwagner112 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:37 pm

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't Young only have 2 HR's in almost 150 ABS
bwagner112
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:37 pm

Prooks25 wrote:Knowing Tampa....i think the best answer is Never.

But I am curious myself if anyone has any inside info on the guy who is currently batting near .400, hitting a HR a day lately, and stealing like mad...But again, not good enough to supplant Damon Hollins.

It's doubtful he gets called up before September due to his bat throwing incident. The team doesn't want to look like they're rewarding that behavior so September is probably a best-case scenario.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby noseeum » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:43 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:
Prooks25 wrote:Knowing Tampa....i think the best answer is Never.

It's doubtful he gets called up before September due to his bat throwing incident. The team doesn't want to look like they're rewarding that behavior so September is probably a best-case scenario.

Karabell said in a chat this week that he could be up soon. Nothing specific, but it makes me feel better!
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Prooks25 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:38 am

bwagner112 wrote:Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't Young only have 2 HR's in almost 150 ABS

Yeah, but those HRs came one game after the other.
Prooks25
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Smileyman9 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:06 am

As always with the D-rays, I think the name of the game is log-jam.

Obviously with Gathright gone...and Hollins not exactly being great it's a tad easier to bring him in, still you have to figure they'll probably wait to bring him in until they need bodies to fill spots on the team if they trade for prospects.

The other thing to keep in mind I think was the arbitration clock that they were looking to not get moving by giving him a call up before needed (not sure how that whole system works, I just recall it being a reason why he wasn't brought up at the end of last season).

One more minor detail, which is just speculation on my part is that from what has come out in the news (which isn't really reliable) he comes across as having a bit of an ego (I can't say big head here any more because then the "S" word comes out).
So, if you had a very talented player in the minors who didn't need to be called up right away, and seemed to think he was better then everyone else...wouldn't it make sense to hold him up down in the minors in an attempt to teach him humility?
Just a thought. Besides, if you can teach him humility it may help them sign him longterm...because let's be honest, right now Tampa Bay is a blip on the radar for Delmon who I suspect already has himself starting on a big market team down the road.
Smileyman9
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Sunspot » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:24 am

I can't recall a time when humility ever won a baseball game. Don't get me wrong, I can't stand egotistical a-holes, but I highly doubt that would keep a player in the minors. Shouldn't Bonds have been taught that lesson a long time ago. If a guy is good enough, and has the confidence that he is good enough to be a major leaguer, but keeps getting screwed over for a call up, the way I see it, the Devil Rays are only feeding the fire. They have a possible stud player just sitting there and they don't use him? Who would you rather have if you were an owner in a high stakes business and you needed to WIN games? Player A: confident-arrogant-great player who steals bases-drives in runs-and helps win games or player B who is a super nice guy-borderline major leaguer-but still-a super nice guy. I take Player A 100 out of 100 times! It all depends on how much you believe in chemistry and all that, but sometimes winning games can create chemistry, even if a prick is part of that equation.
Sunspot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Smileyman9 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:50 am

True. I guess I wasn't clear on my thoughts (early morning, need coffee)

If Delmon is jerk- then why bring him up if he's going to disrupt the locker-room and then why start his contract in the majors before the team is ready to make a run for a world series (which you have to presume is the ultimate goal since they're taking the time to try to get a solid core of guys together).

I still think I side with the Devil Rays. He's still rather young - it's not like the time in the minors is making him waste away - if anything he should be learning since i belive this would have been his first full season in AAA (before the bat incident) I believe he started off last season in AA and was promoted to AAA....
Smileyman9
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Yankeesin05 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:34 am

what's a good site for minor league stats for this year?
Yankeesin05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates