Movie Review: Pirates of the Caribbean 2 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Movie Review: Pirates of the Caribbean 2

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Movie Review: Pirates of the Caribbean 2

Postby CadensDad » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:55 pm

Heading out to go watch it now. 3:40 veiwing time. Expect a review tonight sometime. I loved the first one both stroyline, outfits, speical effects, and they say this one blows the first out of the water. I hope to have a review up sometime tonight. Might be late though since the wifes 21st b-day is tommrow, we will be eating out. But anyways expect a review later tonight

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yin_Xu88 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:43 pm

I'm gonna see it around 8 tonight. ;-D
Yin_Xu88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:57 pm

God, I hated the first movie. I have no interest in this one, either. Even the costuming, which cadensdad seems so fond of...

What the critics say:

"Yes indeed, Pirates 2.0 is a theme ride, if by ride you mean a hellish contraption into which a ticket holder is strapped, overstimulated but unsatisfied, and unable to disengage until the operator releases the restraining harness. "

"Twice as overstuffed with effects as its predecessor, but less than half as entertaining, this is one of those sequels so dispiriting it almost makes one ashamed to have liked the first movie. Think “Back to the Future II” or “Men in Black II”--only worse."

"Does anybody really need a Pirates of the Caribbean movie that clocks in at five minutes longer than GoodFellas? Folks, here's a movie based on a gd theme park ride—why the epic running time? Dead Man's Chest should feel like a sugary snack, not a hot-dog-eating contest."

Let us know what you think, huh?
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:03 pm

geez AA did you turn 70 overnight or did you have some bad baba ganouj? You sound like a grumpy old hippie.

POC was fun - and not all sequels are bad, think of The Empire Strikes Back.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:42 pm

We liked the first one so we'll check this one out.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby squawkya24 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:22 pm

I also liked the first and I'm going tonight to watch this one. ;-D
Dark Horse of 2007: Seattle Mariners
Go M's!!
squawkya24
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:29 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:geez AA did you turn 70 overnight or did you have some bad baba ganouj? You sound like a grumpy old hippie.

I guess my problem is the non-stop action. Little is more boring to me than non-stop action. Also, he was fighting unkillable skeletons. Why? It just seemed stupid. And I like stupid movies. But POTC made me want to stab myself in the eye. And then go after Bruckenheimer.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:50 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:geez AA did you turn 70 overnight or did you have some bad baba ganouj? You sound like a grumpy old hippie.

I guess my problem is the non-stop action. Little is more boring to me than non-stop action. Also, he was fighting unkillable skeletons. Why? It just seemed stupid. And I like stupid movies. But POTC made me want to stab myself in the eye. And then go after Bruckenheimer.

I agree that it was no Starship Troopers but pirates are cool and there was enough eye candy for both men and women, although Orlando Bloom is annoying.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby The_Met_Threat » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:03 pm

Just saw the 2nd one, it was pretty good i thought. I don't really wanna ruin the movie for you, but i think there was a little too much running around, chasing this, chasing that. It felt like one of those old british movies where the cops go after the person, and then the person chases the cops, etc. But still id give it a 3.5 or a 4 out of 5.
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CadensDad » Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:22 am

The_Met_Threat wrote:Just saw the 2nd one, it was pretty good i thought. I don't really wanna ruin the movie for you, but i think there was a little too much running around, chasing this, chasing that. It felt like one of those old british movies where the cops go after the person, and then the person chases the cops, etc. But still id give it a 3.5 or a 4 out of 5.

Good solid review, too much action for my taste, still a very good movie and it leaves you hanging for the 3rd and finalpart. My only complaint is Davey Jones had no real tie ins with the 1st. but otherwise it's a solid movie and I love Johnny Depp as Capt Jack. I'll give it a 3.8 out of 5. I did love the speical effects and whatnot however.

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 2)

Next

Return to General Talk