best 10 prospects - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

best 10 prospects

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

best 10 prospects

Postby dundeeslugger » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:17 am

I have a supp. draft during the allstar break where we will be drafting our 23 and 24 selections for next year. We can decide during the draft next year if we want to keep those as our picks.

Who are the top 10 prospects that should be called up before and starting by next year? and rank Hideki Matsui as he is a free agent right now. I might drop Gagne for him and put him on my dl anyways.

I currently have Delmon Young.

10 team H2H, 5 player keeper based on draft
C Mauer, 1 Tiex, 2 Weeks, 3 Cuddyer, SS Peralta, 3OF Sizemore, Berkman, Crawford, 2U Crede, C. Patterson 6 Pitchers(any) M. Rivera, Fuentes, Jenks,Ray, Carpenter, D. Davis,
8 reserve (pitchers- A. Reyes, C. Young, Garcia, Garland, Hamels, Billingsley, Blanton hitters - Ensberg DL-Harden, Gagne Minors-D. Young, J. Weaver
1=1, 2=2, 3=3, HR=4, RBI=2, R=2, SB=2, BB=1, SO=-1, CS=-1
W=14, L=-7, S=10, BS=-5, K=1, Inning=1, CG=5, SO=10, ERA=-1
dundeeslugger
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Galt » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:04 pm

Matsui is ahead of all of those listed below. He's an All Star and should be completely healthy coming into next year. While it's likely that SOMEONE listed below will outperform him, the risk is not worth it.

1. Howie Kendrick
2. Stephen Drew
3. Andy Marte
4. Alex Gordon (better than Marte, but less likely to have a starting job coming out of spring trianing
5. BJ Upton
6. Lastings Milledge
7. Joel Guzman
8. Wes Bankston
9. C. Ianetta
10. Hunter Pence

Then there are also guys like Zumaya, Broxton, Carmona, and Devine who will potentially be closers coming out of spring training next year.
Galt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Bosy Billups » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:14 pm

Wes Bankston at 8?
Bosy Billups
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Galt » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:32 pm

Of those that should be called up this year/next year, yes.

Many other "top" prospects (like Justin Upton and Phil Hughes) aren't going to be guaranteed assets next year, while Bankston should have a job after Huff and Lugo et al move on from Tampa. If Bankston isn't going to have a job out of spring training, then he shouldn't be on the list.

I was just trying to think of guys who will most likely have a guaranteed job coming out of spring training. Huber could have been there. Maybe Kottaras. I don't know. It was off the top of my head.

Disagree? Come up with your own list.
Galt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dundeeslugger » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:54 pm

what about Billy Butler?
dundeeslugger
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby rmande09 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:30 pm

Billingsley, LaRoche, Troy Tulowitzki, Carlos Quentin, Billy Butler, Mike Pelfrey, and a few others should all be included. Billingsley should not exhaust his rookie status this season, and LaRoche is in the same boat as Gordon - upper echelon of 3B prospects (he and Gordon are far and away the best of the group) who do not have a guaranteed job out of Spring Training but will be given a solid chance to earn it. Tulo should take over as the Rockies' SS next season, assuming he stays healthy and Barmes returns and continues to play as poorly as he has. Quentin deserves and will probably get a spot in the D'backs OF next spring (unless traded). I believe Luis Gonzalez' contract is up after this year. This is assuming Carlos Gonzalez or Chris Young don't beat him out, but neither is ready so I wouldn't be on that happening. Billy Butler SHOULD be the Royals' starting SOMETHING next year (I'd bank on DH). If offense was all that mattered, he would be the number one hitting prospect in all of baseball. Despite being very young (only 20!), he is ready for the next level. A AAA promotion waits in the wings sooner rather than later, and I assume with his fairly good contact rate [for a power hitter] (50 Ks in 328 ABs), and a pretty good K:BB ratio, he will continue to hit the cover off the ball at AAA. The guy can flat out rake and has a better chance of breaking into the lineup in KC next year than Gordo does. Mike Pelfrey may or may not be ML ready; chances are, he is not. A couple of starts here and a couple more months at AA/AAA would suit him well. Barring a complete failure in his September call-up, he should be in the Mets' rotation full-time beginning next season.
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby J35J » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:03 pm

I'm going to go ahead and say that Alex Gordon will start for the Royals on opening day next year.

I don't believe Butler will start opening day but should be up sometime next year. I think Butler is a stud but I don't think he has been "quite" as good as some think he has this year, as his .860ish OPS would indicate. Most studs I know of that dominate the minors will have a .900+ OPS and usually closer to or exceeding 1.000 OPS and Butler hasn't hit .900 but for maybe a couple days all year. I hope they don't rush him.

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 421)

Return to Minor League & College Baseball