Game on the line; Ortiz? Jeter? Zimmerman???? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Game on the line; Ortiz? Jeter? Zimmerman????

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DK » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:44 pm

What, no clutch love for Cristian Guzman? ;-7
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby davidmarver » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:12 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:Clutch hitters don't exist.

Be careful. The reason the word 'clutch' cannot be attributed to individual players is because of the lack of a large enough sample size. This doesn't mean clutch players don't exist, there's just not enough time in players' careers to statistically prove it.

Uggla is the NL ROY thus far, but Zimmerman is very, very close to him, while playing in a slightly worse hitters park; don't count Zim out yet.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:16 pm

Since everyone distorted the thread into a Pujols is my god thread. I'll say Ortiz
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby nsulham » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:27 pm

Maybe there's no stats to back it up or whatever but you're crazy if Ortiz isn't near the top of the list. How many times does he have to do it?

Stats are nice but trust your eyes sometimes :-°
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:27 pm

davidmarver wrote:

Be careful. The reason the word 'clutch' cannot be attributed to individual players is because of the lack of a large enough sample size. This doesn't mean clutch players don't exist, there's just not enough time in players' careers to statistically prove it.

Explain something to me.

How much of a sample size would you need in order to deem a player clutch? I mean, think of the sample size it would take in order to call a player a 'great hitter.' A few years worth of great hitting?

Now obviously you'd have a substantially less sample size of clutch situations, since there are so many fewer of these situations. But wouldn't a player that does well during that sample size (no matter how much smaller it may be), be considered clutch?

I mean, let's say the most 'clutch situations' in any player's career is 200 ABs. Now, that is a small sample size. However, if that is the maximum amount of situations ANYONE gets, doesn't that make it the standard...and thus anyone who performs well in those 200 ABs is a clutch player?

I doubt any of that made any sense. I'm pretty tired. !+) If you can't understand it, then just forget it. :-b
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:28 pm

nsulham wrote:Maybe there's no stats to back it up or whatever but you're crazy if Ortiz isn't near the top of the list. How many times does he have to do it?

Stats are nice but trust your eyes sometimes :-°

Sure he'd be near the top of the list. He's a great hitter.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby chadlincoln » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:33 pm

Pujols definately after what he did to Lidge...
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby MMoNeY24 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:44 pm

chadlincoln wrote:Pujols definately after what he did to Lidge...

Has that ball even landed yet?
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby fitz0527 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:00 pm

Ortiz no question. Nobody is better in the clutch than him. It seems every time he's up with the opportunity to win a ball game he delivers.
fitz0527
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 9)

Postby davidmarver » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:05 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
davidmarver wrote:

Explain something to me.

How much of a sample size would you need in order to deem a player clutch? I mean, think of the sample size it would take in order to call a player a 'great hitter.' A few years worth of great hitting?

Now obviously you'd have a substantially less sample size of clutch situations, since there are so many fewer of these situations. But wouldn't a player that does well during that sample size (no matter how much smaller it may be), be considered clutch?

I mean, let's say the most 'clutch situations' in any player's career is 200 ABs. Now, that is a small sample size. However, if that is the maximum amount of situations ANYONE gets, doesn't that make it the standard...and thus anyone who performs well in those 200 ABs is a clutch player?

It depends on the population mean (his career average) and sample size (career at bats) and the sample mean (his clutch average) and that sample size (clutch at bats). It's going to be a lot of at bats either way at an average much higher than normal.

I doubt any of that made any sense. I'm pretty tired. !+) If you can't understand it, then just forget it. :-b

It's cool. Hey...I have a trade inquiry in Hot Stove league. What do you think of a Jeff Kent/Edwin Encarnacion swap?
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers