Smartest (or luckiest) things you've done all season? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Smartest (or luckiest) things you've done all season?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BritSox » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:02 am

Traded away Sheets to a certain well-known cafe poster for Howard during the one week he was off the DL. Actually, probably the luckiest thing i've ever done in FBB.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby Wade Boggs' Mustache » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:47 am

Traded Dunn/Burnett for Bay/Patterson assuming Patterson will get injured and praying Burnett does not. Patterson left his last game after 31 pitches while the trade was pending...
Wade Boggs' Mustache
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ThisOneGuy » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:15 pm

Drafting Liriano in the 14th round of my 10-team money league (actually these are all from the same league)

Drafting Kazmir in the 15th round

After debating between Jay Gibbons and Jermaine Dye to fill in for an injured Aubrey Huff, decided on Dye and found out later that a good buddy of mine was actually in the process of signing Dye when he clicked on him and saw my team icon. :-° (I got him JUST in the nick of time!)

Trading Bob Wickman for Cliff Lee (I had 5 closers at the time) literally a day before he blew his first save after converting 24 straight. (he's really gone downhill since)

When Guardado was getting lit up (when wasn't he? :-b ) I picked up Soriano, amid all his hype, but then after reading about Putz in the Cafe, I picked him up and cut Soriano. A week later Putz was the closer. ;-D

Picking up Otsuka the day he got his first save.

David Ortiz inexplicably falling to me at the second pick in the third round. I took Pujols, Pedro and then had to ask.. Ortiz isn't still out there is he? He was! 8-o

I've been pretty lucky this year, but hey, I'll take it! (and of course, if my leaguemates ask, it was all skill) ;-D
Last edited by ThisOneGuy on Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThisOneGuy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby superslugger616 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:47 pm

i traded harden the day before his first DL stint ;-D
superslugger616
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sportsguy138 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:58 pm

traded vazquez at his highest point for carlos lee.. got really lucky with that one..

and picked up liriano from FA about a week before he started.. i was goin through the list as i saw him there.. and i picked him up right away
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 404)

Postby cobbs87 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:25 am

Traded Hideki Matsui and Josh Beckett for Jim Thome and Tom Gordon before the season started.
cobbs87
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby gigantes » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:55 am

Drafted Jim Thome in the 10th round and paired him up with my 1st round pick of David Ortiz. 2 offensive machines to carry my team. Picked up Joe Mauer on Waivers and Otsuka as a free agent.
gigantes
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Big Game JLo » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:06 pm

Geez... where do I start?!?!

- Drafted Scott Rolen in the 9th round.

- Drafted Scott Kazmir in the 15th round.

- Drafted Francisco Liriano in the 16th round.

- Drafted Justin Verlander in the 20th round.

- Used my top waiver on Nomar after he was dropped due to his injury at the outset of the season.

- Picked up Aubrey Huff out of free agency about a month ago.

- Picked up Akinori Otsuka out of free agency just before he took over the closers role for Texas.

- Picked up JJ Putz out of free agency just before he took over the closers role for Seattle.

- Picked up Todd Coffey out of free agency just before he took over the closers role for Cincy.

- Traded Todd Coffey (just before he lost his closers job) along with Chone Figgins, Julio Lugo and Chad Tracy for Jose Reyes & Trevor Hoffman.

- Traded away Marcus Giles & Brad Lidge for K-Rod.

And by the way... this is ALL on one team in one league!
Big Game JLo
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:11 pm

Smarts:

-Drafting Kazmir and Bonderman in most of my leagues. I had taken Kazmir as early as 12th, Bonderman as early as the 13th. I was extremely high on both going into the season. No surprises. :-D

-Drafting Brad Penny in 6 leagues with a 2nd-to-last round draft pick.

-Drafting John Lackey in virtually every league too.

-Drafting Verlander with my last draft pick (redraft). Good thing I didn't waste it on Delmon Young. :-b

-Drafting Raul Ibanez in my 20-teamer, a pick I could've used to reach for Delmon Young. :-b

-Drafting enough hitting/pitching insurance to build around Mark Teixeira. On the two teams I've drafted Tex, both are in first place either because of fantastic pitching and/or top offensive support. ;-D

-Having enough faith in Nomar to draft him in a 20-teamer...and in a few other leagues at a discount.

-Overcoming the temptation of drafting John Patterson, in one league, and had taken Brandon Webb instead.

-Drafting Justin Morneau, Jermaine Dye, and Nick Swisher for a bargain (and yeah, two have to sit on my bench unfortunately).

-Drafting Jim Thome over Chad Tracy.

-Picking up Hanley Ramirez from Week 1.

-Picking up Justin Morneau during one of his signature slumps. ;-D

-Picking up JJ Putz, Akinori Otsuka, and Takashi Saito before Eddie Guardado and Francisco Cordero imploded and picked up Saito as a ratio man/insurance option for Gagne and look at him, full-time Dodger closer. No Jon Papelbon pickups, but I did ay-OK here.

-Picking up Jered Weaver in a good deal of leagues.

-Trading Todd Helton and Joe Nathan for Carlos Beltran and Roy Oswalt during preseason.

-Trading John Patterson for Huston Street during preseason. Heck, it was even back then, but I dodged a bullet in not having to deal with his nagging arm injuries.

-Trading Matt Holliday for Jason Bay a day or two before Bay went on a HR surge.

-Trading Derrek Lee and Matt Holliday for Teixeira, Peavy, Griffey, and Penny (before Griffey went on a HR spree). Peavy is starting to round into form, Penny is still keeping it up, and hopefully, Tex has turned the corner...for good.

A little luck involved:

-Drafting Alfonso Soriano with an early THIRD round pick.

-Having an offer of my Glaus and Liriano (after his first two starts) rejected for a struggling A-Ram and Zambrano. Not that I care about the Glaus and A-Ram part now, but Liriano could get me more now these days. That's the best deal that never happened for me.

-Trading Ryan Howard, Jonny Gomes, Dan Haren, and Jeff Francis for Mark Teixeira, Carlos Lee, and Carlos Zambrano.

-At the beginning of the year, trading white-hot Chris Shelton, K-Rod, and Eric Chavez for Albert Pujols. 8-o
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 677)

Postby RoxSox8 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:42 am

Drafted: Thome in the 12th, Liriano in the 19th, Crawford 1st, J. Reyes 2nd.

Trades: I got D. Willis for Beurhle in April. I got Carlos Lee for Biggio/Millwood in June.

Free Agents: R. Weeks, Biggio, Nomar, Jerod Weaver, T. Jones, C. Young, Hamels, A. Reyes, waiting for Harden to come off DL.
I'm not Mr. Lebowski man, I'm the Dude.

Red Sox Fan
Rockies Fan
RoxSox8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers