Smartest (or luckiest) things you've done all season? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Smartest (or luckiest) things you've done all season?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Smartest (or luckiest) things you've done all season?

Postby johnsamo » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:24 pm

Passed on a lot of stud outfielders early and then during a late mediocre closer run in the draft, grabbed Jermaine Dye cheap.

It's a keeper league, so no good MI options in the draft, so I punted till the last two picks figuring new guys would emerge and I'd swing a deal later... Now have Freddy Sanchez and Julio Lugo, not fantastic but not a bad combo.

Drafted Kazmir early based on his 2nd half 2005 stats.

Passed on catchers till late and was still able to grab Posada.

Grabbed Jered Weaver before his first game was even done

Picked up Freddy Sanchez and Gary Mathews Jr. early in their breakouts for free. Didn'd drop them when they had a few 0fers like I did with Rios.

Have been platooning my Utility slot judiciously to get good stats from guys with good splits.

___

Possible good moves (i.e. the verdict is still out).... over-stocked with pitching. way ahead in wins and ahead of schedule on max innings pitched, traded Carlos Zambrano for Julio Lugo because (A) My MI production was Sanchez and a series of duds, and (B) I needed another SB guy (besides Crawford) to catch a few guys and hold off some guys close to me. (c) I had so many good young pitchers I could afford to give up a keeper like Zambrano, and (d) the Angels just got hot and I picked up Escobar who's had good outings but not many wins because of low run support.

Dropped Posada (desperately tried to trade him) for Napoli. A gamble, but Napoli could be a breakout guy and I figured if he busts I can always find a catcher relatively close to Posada... Plus Posada more of an injury risk and likely to fade late at his age.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:33 pm

Traded away Benji Molina and picked up Russ Martin of FA as my backup catcher in my dynasty league. We can keep all but 3 players so I plan on dropping the aging but productive Lo Duca and keep Martin as my franchise catcher.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 103)

Postby Silicone & Muffins » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:38 pm

Lucky - took a shot on Liriano in the draft

Smart- picked up Jered Weaver, Morneau, Uggla, Alex Rios all on the WW
Cardinals fan for life, Liriano groupie for now
Silicone & Muffins
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby djack909 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:40 pm

Gave the ML leader in saves for a guy who couldn't hit a beachball. Weathers for Crawdaddy. LOL.
djack909
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby 405z06 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:41 pm

Picking up Liriano in the 2 leagues he was available based on his solid whip/K's/ERA as a reliever.

Picking up Corey Patterson in 2 of my 3 leagues right before he got really hot, which is really strange because I always have hated CP. He used to be a Cub after all.

Drafting Crawford in the first round (#8 in 10-team league) and getting ridiculed for it ;-)
405z06
College Coach
College Coach

Postby PlayingWithFire » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:42 pm

Bronson Arroyo ;-D
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby flowbee » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:42 pm

Had faith in Corey Patterson and started him right before he went on the stolen base streak

Grabbed Mench before he went on his homerun streak, (but kept him for too long after)

Flier on Otsuka

Drafting Giambi very late
Drafting Posada and Kenji in 2 catcher league
Last edited by flowbee on Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flowbee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby 405z06 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:43 pm

Yeah, i forgot Morneau. I drafted him in 2 leagues, which was tough 'cause I had him last year and he SUCKED!!! Really worked out well so far this year, however.
405z06
College Coach
College Coach

Postby kentx12 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:57 pm

I drafted and held onto Liriano in most all my leagues. That makes me a happy person now. ;-D

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby johnsamo » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:04 pm

"Gave the ML leader in saves for a guy who couldn't hit a beachball. Weathers for Crawdaddy. LOL."

Man that is one dumb guy... that or he was drunk.

We've got a guy similiar to that (though not THAT bad) in our long running keeper league. Every year, he drafts bad, trades bad... The last two years, I've gotten to where I've started to try and advise him, but he never learns. The weirdest part is, he's not an idiot. He's a college graduate, published author, even won money on Jeopardy, but you put him in charge of a fantasy baseball team and it's like a monkey with a paint brush. He can paint and paint and paint, but he never improves. I've even changed our keeper rules so he can improve his keeper list at the end of the year just so he can make up a little for all the bonehead deals he made during the year.

The justifications he can come up with for the bad trades he makes are masterpieces of self deception.

You'd think coming in last place EVERY YEAR WITHOUT FAIL would make him rethink his strategy. I'm half tempted to switch teams with him. I'm sure within a year or two, he'd trade Pujols, Miggy Cabrera and Carl Crawford (My hitter keepers) for guys like Ensberg, Johnny Damon and Connor Jackson... and all the deals would make absolute sense to him.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers