So Cubbies... Is Dusty gone? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

So Cubbies... Is Dusty gone?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wrveres » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:22 am

Oh and I will never forget the way a majority of Cubs fans treated the Domincan Daddy, after everything he gave to that organization ..
what a shame.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31751
(Past Year: 743)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sherwood921 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:49 am

wrveres wrote:Oh and I will never forget the way a majority of Cubs fans treated the Domincan Daddy, after everything he gave to that organization ..
what a shame.


You mean the guy who was caught with a corked bat and walked out on the team on the last day, not to mention all the steroid suspicion garbage.

Back on the real topic. The Cubs organization has several problems. I think Dusty is a horrible manager. He puts together a terrible lineup (Neifi hitting 2nd, etc.). Also, take a look at Corey Patterson in Baltimore. He is no longer being forced into being the leadoff hitter that he never was, and is having a fine season. Baker shows no fire whatsoever and doesn't seem to hold any players accountable, with a prime example being Ramirez the other day. He needs to go.

That won't solve everything though. To me, their biggest problem is their organizational philosophy. They constantly sign/trade/draft toolsy players. These players seem to never walk, and have power and speed "potential" (something they never actually seem to tap into). They simply don't value OBP (this can be seen in Dusty's rant about "clogging bases"). They don't walk, and their pitchers walk too many. They are last in the league in runs, and barely second to last in OBP. However, their BAA is just .255, good for 5th in the league, but they lead the league in walks given up and consequently have the 4th worst ERA in the league.

Dusty needs to go, but I also think the higher ups should accompany him. It's not just Hendry either, the whole front office doesn't seem to realize that in order to score runs you need to get on base, not just have a high average or be fast (don't even get me started on the "speed" philosophy they took this year).
sherwood921
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 138
Joined: 8 Jul 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AcidRock23 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:59 am

wrveres wrote:
I just have a lot of difficulty believing that a manager can rattle off 8 winning season in a row, win two manager of the year awards, go entire seasons with out sending a starting pitcher to the DL, and then he gets to Chicago and wham ..

He is a bumbling idiot that could not find water in a lake, and is a notorious arm killer ..

I am not buying it .. sorry.


I am not buying the 'arm killer' thing. Wood's fate was written on the wall before Dusty got here as he's already had ongoing issues related to his delivery which, as Steve Stone was run out of town for, is not suited for the long haul. Prior's problems all date back to the freak collision which Baker had nothing to do with. Prior then pushed himself to hurry back and screwed up his delivery trying to pitch through the problems that stemmed from the non-arm related injuries he had suffered running over Marcus Giles. Not to mention the liner breaking his elbow. Sure it's 'better' but it doesn't seem odd that pitching after taking a shot off of your elbow might be a bit more challenging.

I think that the expectations for Prior have been inflated and maybe you could blame Dusty for that but I would blame the Tribune more. I think the Cubs will have problems until they get out of the clutches of the Tribune. A team that runs smoothly like the Sox doesn't generate NEARLY as much ink as the Cubs' endless debates about what the problem was. As long as the Cubs are used to generate ink, they will continue to have the sort of problems they are having.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 4170
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Champaign, IL

Postby AcidRock23 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:02 pm

sherwood921 wrote: They don't walk, and their pitchers walk too many.


This is also a BIG part of the problem!!
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 4170
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Champaign, IL

Postby ThatDude » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:19 pm

wrveres wrote:As I said before, there is not a doubt in my mind that Dusty has quit.


Any manager that quits in the middle of season isn't worth a hot cup of urine, regardless of circumstances.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2210
Joined: 13 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:24 pm

ThatDude wrote:
wrveres wrote:As I said before, there is not a doubt in my mind that Dusty has quit.


Any manager that quits in the middle of season isn't worth a hot cup of urine, regardless of circumstances.


amen.

neither is a manager who allows his players to pick thier spots in the lineups, allows thier players to call the broadcast booth during games, allow thier players to confront broadcasters in person, allows corey patterson to lead off even if it's proven he is garbage at lead off, allows letroy hawkins to close, should i continue??
Image
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3757
Joined: 16 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Throwing rocks at The Cubby Bear.

Postby AcidRock23 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:37 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:neither is a manager who allows his players to pick thier spots in the lineups, allows thier players to call the broadcast booth during games, allow thier players to confront broadcasters in person, allows corey patterson to lead off even if it's proven he is garbage at lead off, allows letroy hawkins to close, should i continue??


Who else should the Cubs have had close? Or lead off? Even though I was a TREMENDOUS Steve Stone fan, I didn't find the whole 'feud w/ the booth' thing as offputting as I blame the Tribune (Which also owns WGN, of course...) for the Cubs problems. The organization is operated to make news and, despite Ozzie, I am still pretty confident that the Cubs still lead the Sox in the non-baseball but important to the Tribune stat of column inches. Bring on Mark Cuban... *fingers crossing*
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 4170
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Champaign, IL

Postby wrveres » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:41 pm

Amen ..

I have been saying it for two years now ..
Dusty needs to leave that town as quickly as possible :-)

But hey, now that we are all in agreement that Dusty is just some dumb bumbling idiot, and everybody that frequents these boards could do a better job managing the team blindfolded while fighting a gonorrhea infection in a whore house, lets talk about who the new manager should be ...

I would like to see Steve Stone in place personally. ;-7
Stoney would make an excellent manager, and is exactly what the Cubs need. Strong baseball man with a baseball background, and most importantly, the sheep like him ... what say you?
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31751
(Past Year: 743)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AcidRock23 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:44 pm

wrveres wrote:I would like to see Steve Stone in place personally. ;-7 Stoney would make an excellent manager, and is exactly what the Cubs need. Strong baseball man with a baseball background, and most importantly, the sheep like him ... what say you?



I'll second the motion!! ;-D ;-D

They'd probably have to find somebody to deal Wood to though.

"What's Stoney bringing out to the mound with him now? It's purple. Is that a car title? Wood looks FURIOUS!!" :-D
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 4170
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Champaign, IL

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:44 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:neither is a manager who allows his players to pick thier spots in the lineups, allows thier players to call the broadcast booth during games, allow thier players to confront broadcasters in person, allows corey patterson to lead off even if it's proven he is garbage at lead off, allows letroy hawkins to close, should i continue??


Who else should the Cubs have had close? Or lead off? Even though I was a TREMENDOUS Steve Stone fan, I didn't find the whole 'feud w/ the booth' thing as offputting as I blame the Tribune (Which also owns WGN, of course...) for the Cubs problems. The organization is operated to make news and, despite Ozzie, I am still pretty confident that the Cubs still lead the Sox in the non-baseball but important to the Tribune stat of column inches. Bring on Mark Cuban... *fingers crossing*


latroy proved that he couldnt close 2 years ago, so what does dusty do? starts him at closer the next season. basically ruined one of the best setup men in the game. dempster should have started last year at closer.

and congrats on being the only person in chicago who gives dusty a pass about his own players calling booths during a game instead of actually watching the game. any other manager in the game, well any decent manager at least, would have squashed that incident as soon as it begin. but no, it eventually lead to you guys losing steve stone, the best sports anaylst in this city.
Image
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3757
Joined: 16 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Throwing rocks at The Cubby Bear.

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kellyhe60, Ray Zorback and 11 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Jul. 22
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Texas at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
San Francisco at Philadelphia
(7:05 pm)
LA Dodgers at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
Boston at Toronto
(7:07 pm)
Miami at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
San Diego at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Cleveland at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Cincinnati at Milwaukee
(8:10 pm)
Kansas City at Chi White Sox
(8:10 pm)
Tampa Bay at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
Washington at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Detroit at Arizona
(9:40 pm)
Baltimore at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
Houston at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
NY Mets at Seattle
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact